LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:50 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

like it says, this morning i was in my school parkin' lot when sudennly i was cold (do to tiny holes in my floor, mostly covered my masking tape) well i decide to crank my truck and get a little heat goin' so i crank it w/ my POS starter (that's gonna get taken care of this W/E) and let it run for a couple o secs... then i'm liek "Hey i haven't got fuel in a while... how much i gots???" so i look at my needle and it's like AN INCH BELOW E... so i sit and stare at it a bit and remember i have fuel in my truck on the sending unit's probably getting warmed up... so i wait a minute... and it don't move so then i turn off my truck and think a sec on how to diagnose it. so i turn my switch to the on posi. (but don't crank my truck to save a little $$) and i start foolin' w/ the wirin'. I then crank my truck and it works... well then i had to go to the groc. store i crank my truck and check the needle to see if it works now... it doesn't so i think i a sec and i say "well i kno. there's enough in it for about 4 more days so i go anyways" sure enough as i head outta my "hood" the gauge works again... WTC!?!?!?!?!?

So what coudl this be? a bad sending unit? Relay? Bad connection? I'll probably check them tomorrow afternoon i just need a helpin' hand...

Post subject: Fuel Guage
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:36 pm 

Finalman--

Well, it sounds like you have an intermittent fuel guage circuit. Meaning that there is a loose or bad connection somewhere that changes from good to bad.

I suggest that you first try to inspect as much of the fuel guage wiring as you can , looking for loose connections or broken wire.

If you don't find any problem with the wiring you probably should take a look at the fuel guage sender. Lots of times the wiper arm in the sender will loose its spring tension and become intermittent. Usually, you can fix this by carefully bending the wiper arm to give more tension. Small longnose pliers work for this. Biggest problem here is to get at the sender which is inside the tank and the tank must be dropped to get at it.

I don't think there are any relays in this circuit.

Paul

PS-- If the amount of fuel in the tank makes any difference in this problem I think it is more likely to be the fuel sender.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:14 pm 

amazingly it works now... i haven't had any problems today... but i'll give a note back if it does it again... i'll probably inspect the wires when my dad isn't around.. he'd go nuts if he heard that that was happenin' to my truck, i'll probably take it to my Gf's (I usuallly ride her around the flea market her dad owns) and if it happens i'll get her to watch the gauge as i check the wires...

Thanks alot for the info!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:54 pm 

welp, my mom spilled the beans about it and told my dad but he was ok with it and gave my some $$ to fill up my tank to keep me topped off, but before i left i looked over the wiring from the sending unit to the connector next to the firewall on the right side of the truck, I took every connection, detached it and re-connected it and my gauge has worked ever since, i'm pretty sure it's the connector next to the firewall that's got a bit of corrosion in it, i'll clean it probably while i'm out of school these next two weeks (I'll be recovering from a surgery to correct an inguinial hernia that i have that'll be monday, pray for me ya'll)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:16 pm 

Finalman--

Well, sounds like your mom did you a favor. Anyway, good show on checking the wiring. When you get to the cleanup a toothbrush brush and WD 40 work pretty good. Maybe a little scraping on the male contact.

Good luck with your surgery and truck.

Paul :D