LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:37 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

Which would you recomend on a diesel? i think if i had a glass pack it'd be louder than stock...(duh) but i want a V6-V8 sound to it... but i straight pipe would turn alot more heads...

What would ya'll reco.?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:39 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Well on my Powerstroke (which is a bit different then your LUV diesel, but nevertheless a diesel), I took the muffler out and shes straight piped the whole way back. It turns heads, and the turbo whistles like crazy now! :D Never noticed any immediate increase in performance however.

Straight piped with possibly larger tube would give you the deepest growl. There is not that many cylinders in them things so to get the growl of a V8 or I6 is kinda hard. But you can get a low vibrating growl. The glasspack I could see giving it a sharper tone, diesel are meant to growl, not snap IMO. The bigger exhaust would give the sound more room to bounce around in to make it louder. We had an old smaller tractor, some gray thing, had 3 cylinder diesel banger in it, and it was straight piped. When you put a load on the engine she just growled and smoked, coolest sounding thing ever. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:09 pm 
go with the strait pipe with the new silverline exost tips, they dont make it more quite but it gives it i nice little tune! put one on a 80 and it sounded awsome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:52 pm 
Dr. Luv wrote:
go with the strait pipe with the new silverline exost tips, they dont make it more quite but it gives it i nice little tune! put one on a 80 and it sounded awsome

Your dad has a muffler shop and here you are recommending straight pipe for exhaust :?: :!: Help me out, am I reading correctly :?: If so, then there is obviously a serious lack of communication somewhere on that end.

F.Y.I. it is a PROVEN fact that straight pipes are good for nothing except burning valves.ANY exhaust expert KNOWS this.The thing is that yeah, straight pipe might sound cool, but it's when you shut that engine off, the cool air goes straight up into the cylinders, there is NOTHING there to stop it.Even a glasspack has a lil insulation there to absorb some of the air.

I found this out the hard way over 25 yrs ago when I put straight pipes on my 1970 AMX.Biggest mistake I ever made in my life, but then was young n dumb an knew no better, even though ol timers tried to tell me.Like I said,...... read read read on here, you'll be amazed at what you learn. :wink: 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:36 pm 

As crazy as this sounds (pardon the pun), how about a tractor muffler? They usually are straight through with internal baffling fins, little back pressure, cheap enough, and give a deep, mellow sound. Not as obnoxious as a straight pipe, and louder than stock.

Just my 2ยข worth. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:06 pm 
You know what else would sound nice is to put a cherry bomb on it, but before you do dump gas in it and light it on fire. It will burn out the fiberglass and resinate to make it deep and loud! I think it will be a bit quieter than straight pipe (to keep the neighbors happier) :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:39 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Lil Blue wrote:
Dr. Luv wrote:

Your dad has a muffler shop and here you are recommending straight pipe for exhaust :?: :!: Help me out, am I reading correctly :?: If so, then there is obviously a serious lack of communication somewhere on that end.

F.Y.I. it is a PROVEN fact that straight pipes are good for nothing except burning valves.ANY exhaust expert KNOWS this.The thing is that yeah, straight pipe might sound cool, but it's when you shut that engine off, the cool air goes straight up into the cylinders, there is NOTHING there to stop it.Even a glasspack has a lil insulation there to absorb some of the air.

I found this out the hard way over 25 yrs ago when I put straight pipes on my 1970 AMX.Biggest mistake I ever made in my life, but then was young n dumb an knew no better, even though ol timers tried to tell me.Like I said,...... read read read on here, you'll be amazed at what you learn. :wink: 8)

Thats true Lil BLue. I never thought of that really... :? I guess I have a turbo which is enough restriction, but these LUV diesel's are naturally aspired.

ZackaryMac,
Thats probably not a bad idea, tractor mufflers emit only enough restriction to serve the purpose, theres no overkill, so it would be quite loud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:53 pm 

pee_roy wrote:
You know what else would sound nice is to put a cherry bomb on it,

EVERY time i see one of those it's got a giant rust hole in it....

pee_roy wrote:
but before you do dump gas in it and light it on fire.

my EXTREME red-neck neighbors would do that b4 i would, besides i live right next to a cop... and very new neighbors...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:17 pm 

I have dual 5" stacks on my '82 LUV Diesel. Sounds like a V8 CAT!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:32 am 
Hello everyone. As I have experience in both racing cars and go karts and the modification of engines and exhaust, I will give just a few facts about exhaust changes. For small engines we have a dyno, flow bench and equipment to make all the changes needed and test for the best combination for the best results........Now that being said, these are just a few tricks to know when going to open exhaust (no muffler) as it is a science to get it just right :). When the muffler is removed it increases the flow of air through the total engine (carb, intake, cylinder and exhaust). Most of the time this causes a lean mixture because the fuel does not increase proportionally. This lean mixture means more heat build up in the cylinder and valves. So, then a change is needed in the jetting to get more fuel to the mix to bring the exhaust temp back to the correct range for both power and the keep the temp in range. Best tool is exhaust temp gauge to get this in range for street driving. Hope this helps :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:23 pm 
Addicted to LUV

That is a good summary of pretty much everything I've read/heard/known on the subject of exhaust. It is so much of a science that it starts to border on being an art. Not only do you have to think about fuel/air mixture with the increase flow, but you have to think about it through the entire operating RPM range of the motor. You can have lean problems just at the upper end of the RPM band and still cause as many problems as if it is lean throughout. One of them is just harder to diagnose and detect. You can also have lean at low RPM, then as exhaust backpressure increases with RPM, airflow can plateau and you end up rich at the upper end. This is a big reason simple carbs quit becoming an option for production cars. Nothing short of a dynamic controlled FI system could keep the motor running clean through all RPM ranges.

Since we're talking about a diesel though, does anyone know how much that changes the equation? I imagine the increased air flow and lean condition would still present a problem, but diesel motors run a bit different in terms of combustion temps. I haven't had a lot of experience with diesels, but I can't think of a time I have ever heard about a burnt valve on one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:10 pm 

Diesels work on a different principal, and therefor don't lean out like a gas engine does. As a matter of fact, more air is good to flow through a diesel engine. Diesels don't run a throttle plate (the flapper plate in your intake that moves when you push on the throttle), but instead runs the intake system "wide open", with the engine speed\power governed by fuel flow only.
A turbo helps force more air into the engine, which in the case of a diesel allows more fuel to be fed in also. The problem comes when you put too much fuel to the engine, which can make it run too hot, particularly exhaust temp. Exhaust valses can burn from over doing it.
Anyway, if you like the noise, open your exhaust up. In the case of diesels, back pressure could be considered more negative than positive.

:D Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:42 am 
Happy Holidays everyone. Sorry to imply that a diesel has carburetor. The point that I was trying to make is that any change in the flow of air through the total engine changes the fuel requirements for that given air flow and that using a simple exhaust temp gauge can help in making what ever adjustments are required to get the power, fuel mileage and engine life needed. Hope this helps :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:46 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

In the near future I will be running a larger diameter exhaust on my 1982 Chevy LUV diesel. What I want to do before that though, is to try to get a header to accompany the new exhaust system. I'm pretty sure a header is not available for the 2.2 diesel, unlike all the Isuzu 4 cylinder gas engines. I am trying to see if I could maybe get a header made by a company who specializes in Isuzu vehicles if I can't already buy one made to originally fit. I really think a header should be available for the 81-82 LUV diesel and 81-87 PUP diesel, as the trucks were quite popular back in the 80's compared to the other Japanese diesel pickups.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:05 pm 

i'm just gonna get my local mach. shop to fab-up the flanges and then i'll get the rest done by my a muffler shop, they said that they'd weld up the header if i had a flange made for it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:51 pm 

i went with straight pipe... i hacked the stock exhaust off below the cab the put 2 2inch stacks in the bed