LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:11 pm 
Hello all,

I am somewhat interested in being the owner of a small diesel pickup for getting to work some days, driving in semi-bad weather (4WD would be nice), and the occasional hauling of random stuff that is too big for my car's trunk. :) Mostly driving around town. It seems like it would be an ideal second vehicle to rack up miles on without having to worry about it too much.

I have never driven an LUV though, let alone the diesel version. My family has an old 86 S-10 with a 2.8 in it that drives like a dream (at 120,000+)...it is rated for quite a bit more power than the 2.2 diesel, but I know those numbers can be deceiving. How well does one of these drive? Have any major trouble getting up to speed on the ramps? Any trouble doing 65 mph on the interstate? (At 62 hp...is that an option without a tailwind? :) ) I am not looking for a speed demon at all, but I sure do like how the 2.8 can cruise on the highway.

I can't help but wonder if one of those propane systems could be fitted to one...it would be interesting to see how the 2.2 would handle it. The websites for such systems generally give figures of at least 25% in improvement in power and better milage due to burning some propane rather than diesel. Anyone out there try such a thing?

I'd be interested in anyones thought's on all of this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:19 pm 
I have a 1981 luv diesel 4x4 and havent had any probs with getting up to speed or hauling or pulling people out of mudholes either they do great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:43 pm 
the main thing you have to remember is that your power is at lower rpms, so gearing makes quite a difference

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:30 pm 
I would have to agree with that :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:48 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I guess that makes it sort of the opposite of a stock gas LUV. Instead of winding out 1st-3rd tight it is more of a shift early shift often thing with the diesel. It occurs to me that they might handle taller tires a bit better than us gas stockers are used to as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:42 pm 
Holy crap my little luv diesel they are such beast's for their size. the other day me and my friend were just driving around at some cinder dunes and desided to see what my luv was made of so i went up this freakin hill in 4x4 low it climmed it like nothing it was great i was soo proud of it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:16 pm 

Using your S-10 as a reference, a diesel LUV will be slower and feel underpowered by comparision. However, if you can accept that, a LUV
diesel will give good mileage, be a comfortable second vehicle and be able to handle normal loads.
Also diesel fuel costs less.
Good Luck