LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:39 am 

Hey guys, so I posted a little while ago about my diesel running out of fuel because my dad said the fuel gauge was empty. Well, I finally got down to my dad's place and turns out the truck is not out of fuel, the entire dash is dead. What I mean is none of the dash lights, or fuel gauge work. I found another post on Isuzupup.com that addressed this, but the issue was never resolved. Anyone know whats going on with the truck? Im thinking its a bad ground/corroded wire but I don't know how to isolate which wire. Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks for the help guys!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:36 pm 
Addicted to LUV

It's generally best to stick with the same topic (thread) when troubleshooting. Otherwise, you're asking readers to find your previous topic so they can understand your problem. I'm traveling, and reading via my iPhone--and as an old guy, I find that a little harder use, especially to chase down previous posts.

But it sounds like we need to look at the wiring schematic and see what circuit powers the fuel gauge. Do you have a shop manual? A Chevy or Isuzu manual for your year would be best. I don't like many of the aftermarket manuals. There's an '83 schematic on the P'up site, but there are some minor differences between your model year and the '83.

And of course, check all the fuses, even if they appear good.

Jack

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:51 pm 

Sorry about multiple threads, I thought it would be easier for you guys if I started a new one...my bad.

I did check the fuse box and all fuses are good. I will replace them all with new ones though just to be sure. I was studying the wiring diagram on isuzupup.com but I couldn't find a common factor. Plus, I don't think the wiring diagram on Isuzupup.com is accurate since at the top it says "true except California" and I am in CA and have a different year truck. Any ideas one where I could get an accurate shop manual or wiring diagram for my year/model truck?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:18 pm 
Addicted to LUV

What series do you have? I have a series 12 manual I believe...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:57 pm 

I am not sure what you mean by series. The truck is a 1982 4x4 manual with the 4 speed tranny. Thats all I know. How could I identify the series?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:34 pm 

UPDATE:

So i found a bad connection on one of the solenoids that got the dash lights working, but the truck still wont start, any ideas?

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:18 am 
Addicted to LUV

So I (and others) can see some background,
I'm posting the link to your previous topic:
viewtopic.php?t=30865

When trying to start, does the engine turn over (rotate), or nothing at all?
If it does turn over, does anything come out the tailpipe? If so, describe the color and smell.

I'm trying to determine if this is a fuel system issue, or a glow system issue.

Jack

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:35 pm 

SECOND UPDATE:

Okay guys, so I bypassed the dash and ran power right to to fuel cutoff and was able to get the truck to start. I found that a bad connection on one of the relays/solenoids was shorting out power to the dash, but even though my dash now gets power the fuel cutoff does not. hence the truck not starting. I am going to replace several old/worn connections and relays/solenoids. However, Even with the fuel cutoff bypassed the truck will not start without starting fluid (Yes I know how bad this is for a diesel) Hope this all makes sense!

JoelIsuzu:

The truck cranks strong and pours blueish smoke from the exhaust, but will not start without starting fluid. I have ordered new glow plugs, and Im going to troubleshoot the glow plug system as soon as I get some new relays/solenoids/connections.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:39 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Yes, this sounds like a glow plug issue. When you cycle the glow plugs on , how long does the glow indicator stay on?

Jack

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:03 am 
Addicted to LUV

mytmouz wrote:
What series do you have? I have a series 12 manual I believe...

dieselluv123 wrote:
I am not sure what you mean by series. The truck is a 1982 4x4 manual with the 4 speed tranny. Thats all I know. How could I identify the series?

I'm pretty sure Series 12 = 1982. If this covers the diesel (and I believe it does), This would make your life easier. ;)

Jack

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:32 pm 

The glow plug indicator stays on for a same length as normal (I have two of these trucks...so I troubleshoot based on the truck that runs). But the guy I bought the truck from put his own glow plug "button" in. So the glow plug system may be a little messed up. I haven't really started to dig yet, but I am a little worried.

Like I said, I got the new glow plugs and solenoids. But I am out of town for about a month, so I wont be able to do any work on the truck for awhile. I will let you guys know what happens when I put the new parts in. Thanks for all the help!

P.S. I am gonna try to pickup a shop manual asap.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:29 pm 
Addicted to LUV

dieselluv123 wrote:
But the guy I bought the truck from put his own glow plug "button" in. So the glow plug system may be a little messed up. I haven't really started to dig yet, but I am a little worried.
Yikes, me too. Everything we thought we knew is now off the table. This could have been (an probably was) converted to a 12v system.
dieselluv123 wrote:
Like I said, I got the new glow plugs and solenoids.
Solenoids? Maybe you're referring to the glow relays (should be two of those)? This is going to take some testing to figure out what you have. I would definitely NOT install the new plugs until you're certain what was done to the system. If it's been converted to 12v, then you would burn out your brand new plugs really fast. We need to take an inventory of what original components are still there.

Jack

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:45 pm 

Dang! I didn't even think of that. How can I check to see if its been converted to a 12v system?

And yes I meant relays, sorry, also do you know the part number for the smaller relays on the driver side? There is one in the fuse panel and another in a plug above the driver side wheel?

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:26 pm 
Addicted to LUV

dieselluv123 wrote:
also do you know the part number for the smaller relays on the driver side? There is one in the fuse panel and another in a plug above the driver side wheel?
I'm not sure which relays you're referring to. There's one on the driver's side called the "Charge Warn Relay", but if it went bad, your interior fan would not run.
dieselluv123 wrote:
How can I check to see if its been converted to a 12v system?
Do a close visual comparison with what's in it, vs. what's in your other LUV. Take pics of anything different, and post here. And I'd check the voltage at the plugs, with someone pressing your glow plug button. But it can be a little confusing, because the factory 5v glow system actually sent a full 12+ volts to the glow plugs for a few seconds (depending on the engine temperature). There are two relays on the passenger's side near the battery. One is for the 12v stage, and the other one goes through a dropping resistor (a metal case mounted on the front core support), and that reduces it to around 5v. The QOS ("Quick On System") controller lives in the cab, on the driver's side kick panel. It does the switching, based on inputs from a thermo-sensor on the thermostat cover, and a sensing resistor attached to the metal strip that powers the glow plugs.

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:13 am 

Man! I wish I had the truck here to start the troubleshooting process. I will do a comparison and post pics as soon as I am able! Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:08 pm 

Hey guys! im trying to replace the relay in the fuse panel but I cant find a part number to save my life! anyone know what the part number for this relay is?

Attachments:
image000000.jpg
image000000.jpg [ 583.46 KiB | Viewed 12798 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:09 pm 

another angle.

Attachments:
image000000 (1).jpg
image000000 (1).jpg [ 1.04 MiB | Viewed 12798 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:29 pm 

THIRD UPDATE! I'm reading 6.25 volts at the glow plug wire when the glow indicator light is on. When i press the "aftermarket" glow plug button the voltage jumps to 12 volts. so I think if i just take out the button I am good. So it looks like the glow plug system is okay, but I am still only getting 0.57 volts to the fuel cutoff relay. Any ideas???

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:41 pm 
Addicted to LUV

It sounds like your primary glow relay isn't working (that does not mean it's bad).

And 0.57v at the cutoff doesn't seem right. I'll add details when I can.

Jack

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:45 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Ok, 6.25v sounds like your glow system may be using only the secondary relay, which goes through the dropping resistor. If you removed that relay (not the one that goes to the dropping resistor), one socket should have 12v with the key on (and possibly even with it off, I don't remember. One should have 12v whenever the glow light is on. The third won't have anything with the relay removed. It goes to the glow plugs.

Jack