LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Turbo or not to Turbo ??
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:03 pm 

Howdy,
I was wondering if anybody might have some input about putting a turbo on my 82 Luv Diesel ? I have heard that it will improve my mileage ?
I had a turbo given to me the other day so the price was right :) . But I would like to know is if it would be worth the effort ?
The way I understand it,i would need another exhaust manifold and a intercooler and also the oil line plumbing.

What about the air cleaner ? Pretty sure it will have to go right?
Well, at this stage I am just trying to make up my mind if I want to do it. I do want to do it but I don't want to mess up my motor. Help?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:28 pm 
Addicted to LUV

My opinion: Don't. At least, not until you've:
  1. Overhauled the engine. Putting a turbo on a 200k engine may be the last straw.
  2. Sorted out every other possible performance issue (it makes no sense to upgrade before doing repairs).
  3. Rounded up the other parts you need--turbo manifolds (both intake and exhaust), and turbo injection pump (it has boost compensation to add fuel when your engine is getting boost).
  4. Done the homework with regard to the best turbo size.

On top of that, I would not bother with a turbo that is old technology, when new ones spool up MUCH faster. I took a test drive in a turbo SpaceCab P'up back in 1986. I was underwhelmed by the performance of the factory turbo. Some owners have paired the GT1548 with the factory manifolds and turbo pump. That one seems to fit the bill well, but it runs about $800.

It would take some custom work to make the factory air cleaner work with a turbo--in fact, I'm not sure it can be done. Some owners have used a cone-style air filter instead. The factory turbo air cleaner is REALLY rare, and requires a matching hood (with a bulge) to fit it.

Intercooling is difficult, since there's very, very little room between the fan and the radiator, and very very little room behind the grill, in front of the core support. I know of one owner who managed to squeeze a modified Saab intercooler in there, but he had to move the grill forward about 3/4".

I suspect some others would disagree, so take my remarks for what they're worth--they're just an opinion.

Jack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:24 am 

You are right,
I just needed to hear it from you I guess. :? Why mess with a good thing anyway ?
That's interesting about the factory Turbo (Bulge in the hood) Sounds wild. :D

Thanks for your time Jack