LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:03 pm 

Hello and thanks to all the members that have helped me get my 82 Luv on the road after a 15 year "rest" :)

I finally got my transmission in and besides a lot of road noise I am very impressed/happy with what I have.
Of course there are a few bugs that I have to work out so I might as well start asking questions.

How can I tell if my charging system is working? On a gas motor I would pull a battery cable off while running and see if the engine dies. Is there a quick check like that on a diesel?
I don't know if my battery is bad or the charging system is bad. I put a battery in this morning that had enough juice to start the truck but after a short drive her off and now she wont start. Cranks real slow. I pulled the battery and put it on a charger.
The charge light on the dash sometimes comes on but it comes on with the "filter" light and then goes off ? I am counting this as one of my bugs so I am not sure if my alt. is bad or not.
????

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:58 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

so you got the trans pall sorted out ..Great 8) ....> what was the solution w/ the clutch hanging up ?

i would be a little skeptical about pulling a battery post off while running...might be good check for a less electrical reliant vehicle like my 66 chevelle....and i'd be worried about shoring a relay.

while it out you might run up yo the part store and have them test it under a load..if your past that & have a volt meter

I would put a volt meter on the battery while running & compare it to not running if its OVER 12.5 - 13 Volts > it should be charging..... volt meter are pretty cheap at harbor freight..& if you time it right could get one free w/ the sales ad w/ purchase.

66 Chevelle The Oldest of all the vehicles I owned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:05 pm 

I ended up drilling and tapping threads to mount the pivot ball. Works great but I would have rather had the one that is attached to the plate.

I guess I will take it to autozone. I need to know if my alt. is charging. None of my gauges are working. My blinkers are also out. The damn mice had a nice home ya know? I checked the only fuze panel I could find and they are all good. I wonder if there is another fuze box someplace besides the driver side fender well ??

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:16 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Glad you got it going 8)

so you tapped threads in the pump bearing cover..or the bell housing ... my old and newer bearing cover were different

and the location i needed ..was on then edge of the cover so i ground it level & welded a nut on to hold the pivot

(as you might have seen the pic)..any pics of your solution to share ?

Pull the alt and take it w/ you might as well have them both tested

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:43 pm 
Addicted to LUV

hunter62 wrote:
Hello and thanks to all the members that have helped me get my 82 Luv on the road after a 15 year "rest" :)

I finally got my transmission in and besides a lot of road noise I am very impressed/happy with what I have.
Of course there are a few bugs that I have to work out so I might as well start asking questions.

How can I tell if my charging system is working? On a gas motor I would pull a battery cable off while running and see if the engine dies. Is there a quick check like that on a diesel?
I don't know if my battery is bad or the charging system is bad. I put a battery in this morning that had enough juice to start the truck but after a short drive her off and now she wont start. Cranks real slow. I pulled the battery and put it on a charger.
The charge light on the dash sometimes comes on but it comes on with the "filter" light and then goes off ? I am counting this as one of my bugs so I am not sure if my alt. is bad or not.
????

It's pretty normal for the "filter" light to come on when the charge warning light does. Sounds like you're not consistently charging. There could be a number of reasons. I'd start by checking (and cleaning) the battery terminals and any chassis ground connections you can find. If you have clamp-on terminals, they're often the culprit.

And I'd do as you and 3rdLuvNext2a66MALIBU suggested--have it tested at AutoZone or a parts store.

If it's not putting out a healthy current (I think about 13.8v), post back here.

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:51 pm 

Before I pull the Alt. I thought about replacing the voltage regulator ?? My only problem is that all the new ones that I have found are 4 wire. Mine has 2 wires. Any suggestions ?

I pulled the battery cable off (by accident) while running and the engine stopped . That surprised me since its a diesel..
What does this motor use the electric power for once its started?
The only other diesel I have owned was a old Mercedes (200D I believe) and it would run without the battery etc etc once it was started. And I have ran plenty of heavy equip in my lifetime and they all ran without elec. (once started).........

I was thinking that this motor must have a elec fuel pump????

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:46 pm 
Addicted to LUV

hunter62 wrote:
Before I pull the Alt. I thought about replacing the voltage regulator ?? My only problem is that all the new ones that I have found are 4 wire. Mine has 2 wires. Any suggestions ?

I pulled the battery cable off (by accident) while running and the engine stopped . That surprised me since its a diesel..
What does this motor use the electric power for once its started?
The only other diesel I have owned was a old Mercedes (200D I believe) and it would run without the battery etc etc once it was started. And I have ran plenty of heavy equip in my lifetime and they all ran without elec. (once started).........

I was thinking that this motor must have a elec fuel pump????

The voltage regulator is internal. If it's really not charging, it might just be worn out brushes. They can be replaced without removing the alternator.

The fuel cutoff solenoid requires current, or it closes (shuts off the flow). On the Mercedes, those were vacuum-powered, which was why they all had an emergency shutoff lever (since the vacuum systems were notorious for failing).

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:57 pm 

Hello,
Been working on other projects so I have not had much time to address my alt.problem but tonight I pulled the brushes and cleaned them and then replaced them. I then started the motor and hooked my multi meter up to the output. It shows around 13 volts. Right at the brushes themselves it gave a reading of 20+volts. I then shut the engine off and metered the same spots and there was nothing.
I am assuming this means that the alt.is working? I will pull it off and take it to autozone or Napa to have it checked but I just have not had the time. And I am hoping its working :) ..........

The only other problem is the heater. I believe the core is plugged. The water is heating up and is moving but I don't believe its going through the heater core. I thought I was cleaning the heater hose line but it turned out to be a water line that goes into the oil cooler? I am not sure what it is but there was a small check valve (almost like a small thermostat) which was plugged shut. After cleaning it and replacing it I was sure I would notice a difference in the heater but no change. I then traced the line and found that it had a "T" in the line . One line went to the firewall and the other side went to that oil cooler.
Any ideas on flushing the heater core ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:16 am 

Just a quick update . This info might help somebody if they have a heater issue. I took my air cleaner off and then unhooked one heater line at the firewall. I kept trying to backflush the heater core with garden hose until a big plug of green moss 8O came out and then the water started flowing. I have a great heater now.
I removed my alternator and will have it tested. I am pretty sure its not working. There was a rebuild sticker on it and I called the shop that did it last. They are still in operation and told me it would be 90.00 without parts to rebuild it. I thought that was kinda high ???

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:57 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

hunter62 wrote:
Just a quick update . This info might help somebody if they have a heater issue. I took my air cleaner off and then unhooked one heater line at the firewall. I kept trying to backflush the heater core with garden hose until a big plug of green moss 8O came out and then the water started flowing. I have a great heater now.
I removed my alternator and will have it tested. I am pretty sure its not working. There was a rebuild sticker on it and I called the shop that did it last. They are still in operation and told me it would be 90.00 without parts to rebuild it. I thought that was kinda high ???

this sounds kinda like mine i was debating on pulling the heater unit out and give it a look over but a back flush would sounds good to try 1st.
I've been running straight water need to get coolant back in her. I recently heard some squealing under the hood not sure of it being the water pump or smog pump bearing no leaks but i'm ready

a volt reading will tell ya....over 12.5 to 14 tells me its charging when running

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:10 pm 
Addicted to LUV

hunter62 wrote:

That's hard to say, without knowing the cost and quality of the parts. I'm currently running a rebuilt alternator from O'Reilly's auto parts. I'm pretty sure they used cheap Chinese components, but the price was good (around $130) and it's still working.

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:21 pm 

I finally got a alternator ! I found one at "Rock Auto" website for $142.00 . I will get 50 bucks back when they receive my old alternator (core charge) minus the 5 dollar shipping charge.
I cannot be happier :D The truck even seems to perform better as far as power goes.

Now , its time to start prepping for paint........... :)