LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: injection pump testing
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:01 am 

Hi fellow diesel lovers!

Ok, here's the deal: I've been driving my 81 longbed diesel (120k originial miles, off the road from 97 thru late 2013, 114 miles when I got it, if memory is correct) for about 15 months. Changed the rear end to loose that noise, but not with original ratio, went for one step down which should have given me at least 40mpg with this simple city driving, or at least 35mpg.

Few weeks ago it started to belch white smoke when accelerating and sputtered through first and second gears. Could get up to highway speed (65 at most) without sputtering. Now, with colder weather, not as easy to start. Replaced fuel filter six months ago, took apart old (which was new...put it on right after acquiring vehicle) to discover brown sediment microns on paper...sputtering went away. Gas mileage has not gone up, stays in the 32mpg range. Have used some additives for cleaning the injectors while refueling.

Some months back IsuzuJoe alerted me to the CSD (cold starting device) as being a tricky fellow to pay attention to...I do have the factory LUV manuals and consider myself a true "shade tree mechanic" which means I might know in which direction the problem could exist, but don't count on me to do an accurate diagnosis, nor a 100% perfect repair!

Setting aside the dirty gas tank and or contaminated fuel filter as the cause of white smoke and sputtering, I am looking at the fuel delivery system, meaning the injector pump first, then the injectors second.

The big question: How does one test the performance of the injector pump? I would expect to discover a "port" where one could insert an "in line" pressure gauge (to what maximum pressure is needed in the gauge for reading...125psi?) via the fuel line to the injectors. Can this pressure gauge be rented at a parts' store? What should the pressure reading be? Variance of a few lbs. would suggest to me a faulty pump, right? The test should be held at idle then the rpm advanced while reading the gauge thru what rpm? Are there other tests I should explore?

Assuming the injector pump is bad, who is seriously recommended to rebuild this pump and that pesky CSD (name, company if applicable, telephone number and hopefully a cost range)? Also, while removing this part, I think taking out the injectors to have them checked would be wise...so is that person/company also able to do that job on the injectors? Cost range for this operation?

Somehow, I feel that those who belong to this site, diesel owners, would know the "right" people/companies to do honest and fair business, and certainly those who we should not do business with...(tell me this in a private message if you don't wish to badmouth someone in the forum).

I have been given a local business (Albuquerque) to handle my injector pump; however, it seems to me the guy who has rebuilt over 10 of these units (via this forum) might be a smarter choice for a variety of reasons.

Finally, I like this small truck, I like it a lot! Retirement is fast approaching and this vehicle is supposed to remain in my world as an active member. Cost benefit ratio is going to apply.

Thank you for your serious input on this recent problem.

PS...is there a rebuilt pump and injector set sitting on a member's shelf that might be for sale, trade, etc.?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:29 am 
Addicted to LUV

Joe Isuzu will be along shortly, I think he has a source on pump rebuilds.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:25 pm 
Addicted to LUV

That's a long post, and it's difficult to identify what to try and answer.

How to test the pump: Without some serious bench equipment, you can't. If it runs well, doesn't leak, and gets good mileage, assume it's good. If it doesn't, then try to eliminate other possible causes.

This could be bad fuel, a bad CSD, or maybe other factors I've forgotten about. The pumps (apart from the CSD) are not usually the problem, but they can be.

If you really wanted to have the pump overhauled, I'd send it to someone who is really familiar with this variety. This CSD is unique to Isuzu diesels. I can recommend someone--there's a guy named "Paul" who works at:
Diesel Injection Systems
1021 Tama Lane
Santa Maria, Calif 93455

ph 805 925 1599

Ask for Larry (the boss) but mention Paul.

I don't get anything for recommending them, but Paul did my pump and I could not have been more pleased. However, you'd have to remove and re-install the pump in order to send it to them.

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:14 am 

Joe Isuzu, thank you for that contact. I have read most of the posts on fuel injection pumps both here and on the Isuzu forum. Think I'll start with a new gas filter.