LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:19 am 

Hello, Im looking for help with my project. I have a ratty looking 78 LUV 2wd and a 84 PUP 2wd 5 spd short wheel base donor truck with the 2.23 Diesel motor. I plan to put the PUP drivetrain in my LUV. My LUV came from the Tuscon Az area and has sat outside for the last 20 plus years in the AZ sun. Its a yellow stepside, slight custom louvre on the tailgate, windshield visor , custom rear bumper, and a sunroof(yuck). It had a very crude home built louvre for the rear window but I had to trash it. I plan to run it as it looks but clear coat over the patina. The PUP donor truck was from the Kentucky area, completely rusted out. I did not drive the truck much because the brake were bad. I did have the truck running several time before I decided to chop the PUP up. I actually have the entire front end of the PUP, its cut off just behind the transmission cross member ( I want to put the PUP front discs on my LUV but that's another thread ). The wheels are on and motor and trans are still bolted in . Im going to replace the timing belt before I put the motor in the LUV. I have the LUV stripped down. I have the bed off and I just put the PUP rear in today(waiting for U bolts). I know the 84 trans is weak and I have a good 87 gas donor trans but I need to get this together to drive and can upgrade the trans later. I have the complete PUP unmolested wiring harness and the LUV harness is still in the truck and is in good condition.

So my question:
Wiring harness. I have both . Should I use the PUP harness or should I use a combo of the original LUV harness and parts of the PUP harness I need ? I want it to be stock appearing. I have the complete PUP steering column. Would installing that help? I guess it will be best to use the LUV fuel tank? I have the old PUP tank still.

I am going to need a lot of help with this project. its sure to test my ability. I want this to be my daily driver 9 months out of the year. 55 mile round trip to work everyday. I will repair, replace and maintain everything on this truck to keep it on the road. Im sure to have lots more questions so any feedback or heads up on anything I might encounter along the way will be appreaciated. I will get some pics posted. thank you

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:29 am 
Addicted to LUV

I know the diesels pretty well, but a lot of your questions will require knowledge of 1st gen LUVs. I don't have much to offer on that topic. I'd keep as much of the diesel wiring harness intact as possible, but someone who has done the same conversion would have way better information than I would (Eric Q).

I just dropped in to say that I'll be happy to answer any questions I can (that means the easy ones).

I've done the timing belt, so I'll be watching for questions you may have on that subject. It's not hard, but you have to be really careful to get all the pulleys aligned correctly. Also, since it's very much an "interference engine", you need to make SURE not to rotate the crank or cam with the timing belt removed. It will bend pushrods and break rocker arms.

Jack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:22 pm 

Thank you Jack. Where would you recommend for a timing belt purchase? Rockauto? Santa?