LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:17 pm 

I have figured out my problem. From looking at photos of a conversion or "upgrade" I see that the pivot ball mounts on the front cover of the diesel tranny. What do ya do when ya never had a diesel transmission to take the cover off of in the first place ???? I guess the hunt is back on !!!!

I was just wondering why the front plate did not come with the diesel bell housing in the first place???? :?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:44 pm 
Addicted to LUV

George, sorry I had to be away from the computer for quite a while this evening. I'm pretty sure the 5-speed gas transmission has the same bearing cover plate as the diesel. Wasn't there one on the gas transmission? I've pulled a few of these, and ended up throwing away cover plates. There should be a pivot ball on the cover plate, although SOME housings (as far as I know, only SOME of the 4-speeds) had the pivot ball separate. In those cases, the ball screwed into a threaded hole in the housing.

Have you gotten the gas housing off yet? There's a snap ring on the input shaft that must be removed in order to separate the front case (bell housing) from the center plate. You won't see it until the bearing cover plate is removed.

I wish I could see what you're looking at. Hang in there, you'll get this done.

Jack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:25 pm 

Hmmmmm This has to be one for the books then . I will take pictures tomorrow. Its raining out here right now.
Its a 5 speed. It does have a threaded hole for the pivot ball to screw into.

Could it be a different tranny than what came in the truck? It is a 5 speed though. I have the plate off. I was getting ready to

I don't know. I have a headache ! Ha Ha

You are right. I will get there even if I have to tap out a new mounting hole ! My Father was a Tool and Die maker and I grew up wih it ya know?

You used to throw them away ????? Can you throw one my way?? Ha Ha

Like I said. I will take photos tomorrow................... George

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:10 am 
Addicted to LUV

hunter62 wrote:
You used to throw them away ????? Can you throw one my way?? Ha Ha

I hate wasting anything that someone can use, but it probably went to the scrapper. I helped do a swap for a guy, and the "new" transmission had a cover plate, as well as the old one. Couldn't use both of them. ;)

But didn't you remove the gas transmission yourself at the salvage yard? There's no way someone could have removed the bearing cover plate without removing the transmission.

Wait, you said you had the cover off. Can you post a picture of the main bearing cover plate that was on the salvaged transmission?

Better yet, see the photo below. I'll bet yours looks like the one on the right. If so, maybe we can find you one like the left one.
Attachment:
input_cover_plates.jpg
input_cover_plates.jpg [ 1.9 MiB | Viewed 16058 times ]

Jack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:38 pm 

I just woke up and have not taken pictures yet but now I don't have to... That's the one I have. The one on the right.
Until I looked at some pictures I thought I had the wrong bell housing . What does this mean? Why would the tranny I got from the yard have one that screws in to the bell housing ?

Really does not matter. The question is where do I find a cover plate ? Do you think the same people who provided me with the bell housing would have a cover plate?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:58 pm 
Addicted to LUV

hunter62 wrote:
I just woke up and have not taken pictures yet but now I don't have to... That's the one I have. The one on the right.
Until I looked at some pictures I thought I had the wrong bell housing . What does this mean? Why would the tranny I got from the yard have one that screws in to the bell housing ?

Really does not matter. The question is where do I find a cover plate ? Do you think the same people who provided me with the bell housing would have a cover plate?

The transmission you pulled--did it have a pivot ball? Did it have a clutch cable? Being an '86, it should have had both--unless it was a California truck.

Yes, Dart & Deb probably have cover plates. You will need to make sure you get one with the same number of bolt holes as your bell housing has. Most had 6, but some had 4.

Jack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:15 pm 

Yep, it has a pivot ball and clutch cable. The only difference I can see is that the ball screws into the housing instead of the cover plate. If it ever stops raining :( I will take pictures.
It is a calif truck . but like I said its the same.

I found one on Ebay for anywhere from 35 to 75.00 Twelve bucks shipping. Oh well. I will keep at it. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:39 pm 

I am posting a picture of the bellhousing that is from the doner tranny. If you look close you will see the pivot ball that is still there with the bearing plate removed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:55 pm 
Addicted to LUV

So would it be out of the question to thread the corresponding hole in the diesel bell housing, and use your pivot ball?

Jack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:08 pm 

Oops !!!
Looks like I have something set wrong !!! No wonder when I tried to post two at one time it said that I had exceeded the size limit !!! Ha Ha

When I figure out how to resize my photos I will try again.

George

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:12 pm 

Look at the other housing and then tell me what you think. The other one does not even have holes. There are two "blocks" where the holes would be!

Its something that I can do for sure though. I do not have a full machine shop but I can "get er done" when need be . :D

I have already e mailed the people that sent me the housing so I think I will wait until i hear from them before I get my taps out.

Talk soon, George

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:24 am 
Addicted to LUV

I wouldn't spend a lot of time/effort drilling and tapping. As many upgrades as have been done, somebody's bound to have an extra one lying around. I don't remember if you're on the P'up forum, but if not, I can put out word there that you need this part.

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:04 pm 

If you would please ? I am anxious of course but there is always the chance of making a mistake while tapping etc,etc.

I will wait and see what can be found. Thanks Jack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:46 pm 
Addicted to LUV

It's posted. We'll see what happens.

Jack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:43 am 

Well Jack, I could not take it anymore. I got my drill and taps out and did some minor machine shop work ! Ha,Ha

It came out pretty good I guess. Could have done it different/better if I had my hands on a good tig welder for a few hours.

Anyway,thanks for all your help. Hopefully I will be posting pictures of a running luv diesel truck :D

George