LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:39 pm 

First off I don't know much about this truck, I have only had it a month. I started the truck in the morning and all went normally. Started slightly slower cause it was colder that morning but started good, the voltage light took a little longer than normal to shut off after tapping the fuel pedal quite a few times. Don't know if that's normal or not. I drive only a few miles to work and halfway there the motor just instantly died. No spitting or sputter or nothing. It was driving pretty normal before that. I may have noticed a very slight loss in power but the truck is so dang slow anyways I didn't think anything of it. But now it just cranks and cranks and still won't start and I do not smell diesel at all so it is definitely not getting fuel. My brother has an 83 Volkswagen rabbit diesel and told me to see if the injector pump on the motor had some sort of fuel shut off solenoid because his pump has one. Please help. I am very mechanically inclined and have built many 4 cylinder gas engines but this is my first diesel and its old. So please help me here!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:00 pm 

Hello,
I have not had my diesel very long but long enough to give you some advice. I would open one of the fuel lines that feed fuel to the injectors. Or remove the fuel line that runs from the filter to the pump and see if its getting fuel.

There is a pump on top of the filter housing that once the line (out) is removed and placed in a container you should be able to pump it a few times to see if any fuel is even getting that far. If there is fuel then I would loosen one of the lines that feed the injectors and have a friend crank it over. It should have fuel coming out. Don't take the line off,just loosen it.

If no fuel then there is where you start.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:35 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Check fuse #5. Your instincts are good about the lack of fuel smell, and your brother is correct, there's a fuel cutoff solenoid. If fuse #5 blows, no fuel flows. And if it's blown, it may keep blowing---but let's deal with that IF it happens.

And if that's not it, let us know.

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:47 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Another easy one to check/fix is a clogged fuel filter. Could be clogged with debris or (depending on how cold it is in your location) ice in the filter.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:12 am 
Addicted to LUV

Wow, I just noticed that this topic went four months before the first reply. I try to jump right in on the diesel questions, but I missed this one the first time, and would probably never have seen it if not for hunter62 replying to it.

However, the original poster has not returned to see if he got a reply:
Last visited: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:00 pm

I'll send him a PM, and he may get an email notification. But by now, he may have scrapped the truck or sold it. :(

Jack