LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:17 pm 

I need to replace my heater core, and the PO included a core which he claims is for this truck. I have read all posts regarding changing of the heater core, and see a challenge in doing so. However, in addition, I want to remove the air conditioner, but didn't find any posts on that. Anything in particular to look for, and specific procedures involved? thanks, Keith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:19 pm 

Are you wanting to remove the a/c to repair it or what? I am sure you know that if you remove a a/c line it must be "pumped down" before you recharge the system and replace it ?
Besides that, I believe its nothing except taking the unit off. The lines are pressurized so you would want to bleed the Freon off slowly. If you are replacing the system you will have to replace the Freon with R-22 instead of R-12 I believe .
In fact you might want to check with a local a/c shop about how to remove the R/12. It might be against the law to just vent it into the air ??? Anyway,i am pretty sure it is in Calif.

Not much help am I ? ha ha Sorry. I hope you get it fixed. I have replaced heater core's before and they are no fun. Good luck

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:31 pm 

I was wrong. Its R134 that you would have to use to replace the Freon you now have and of course there are items such as O-rings that have to be replaced in your compressor to use the newer Freon so if I was you I would think twice about messing with my a/c unit if its working.
I live in the Mojave Desert (Calif) and I will soon be adding a a/c unit to my wish list as my 82 diesel Luv did not come with one. :(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:29 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Keith,

What questions do you have about removing the A/C? If it's not working, it's probably already leaked the refrigerant out. You could remove the cap off of one of the refrigerant ports, and briefly press the center of the valve (like letting air out of a tire). If nothing hisses, it's empty.

You could either leave the evaporator in place (but it should be cleaned out), or you can replace it with an "A/C delete duct". Someone here, or on IsuzuPup.com would probably have that part.

The main mechanical challenge would be to find an idler pulley to replace the compressor. Some people mount a pulley on one of the holes in front of the compressor bracket. That will require a different size v-belt, but it works. If you brace the pulley bracket, avoid bolting into the thermostat cover, they crack easily.

The heater core was indeed challenging, but I think I could do it a LOT faster the next time now that I know what to expect. I wasn't aware that there are posts here about how to do it (for the 2nd gen LUV), but I guess there's a lot here that I don't know about. Since you've read some posts, what do you need help with? As you see, I'm avoiding the effort of writing a step-by-step procedure, as that would probably be redundant and lot of time. ;) But I'd be happy to help with questions. I will throw this in: If your manual says you have to remove the dash, get a different manual. That is NOT necessary.

Jack

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:16 am 
Addicted to LUV

Wow, another 2nd gen question that went months without a reply. Thanks to hunter62 for catching it. Looks like the original poster came back a few times looking for replies, but eventually gave up:
Last visited: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:21 pm

I'll send him a PM, and maybe he'll get an email notification.

Jack

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:51 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

JoeIsuzu wrote:
Wow, another 2nd gen question that went months without a reply. Thanks to hunter62 for catching it. Looks like the original poster came back a few times looking for replies, but eventually gave up:
Last visited: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:21 pm

I'll send him a PM, and maybe he'll get an email notification.

Jack

This is strange. Gen II posts are relatively rare and I'm usually on the prowl for them. How these two posts slipped thru the cracks is kinda bizarre.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:26 am 

thanks to Joe sending a PM to me, I am back on to this. I have removed the AC, just to get it out of the way. Stuck on designing and constructing an idler pulley bracket, so am just driving without power steering. With winter past, I am in no hurry to replace the heater core. Busy with other projects on the frontend, such as replacing the cv joint boots and tierod ends. It was a much bigger job than the German engineered vehicles I have replaced boots on, but by the time I got to the second one it went relatively quickly. thanks for the replies. I have no questions at this time, but will return here whenever I do. Keith