LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:10 pm 

Well, the travails of getting this thing working...now the bearing went out on that puller (passenger's side) where the twin fan belts drive the steering pump unit. Burned and destroyed the bearings, cooked the belts..but I got off the Interstate and made it to a friend's house where we disassembled the unit. Just my luck, last week got the new twin belts, have the upper rad hose and am ready to install a new timing belt...

After we took out that big snap ring we got the bearing out with a puller. Both cover sides on the bearing were heavily burnt, as was the outer ring: Ergo, no numbers to be found on this bearing.

Went to NAPA and sought a solution: They came close, but no cigar, off by a few thousands on the OD for the bearing.

Is this only a dealer item? Does someone have the part number/make of an original, or aftermarket that can be sourced...where, NAPA, AutoZone, etc.?

Even with these issues, I am so pleased with this vehicle I can't tell you...what fun! Took Joe Isuzu's pic of his radio installation and figured out how to copy as best as possible my installation.

The new Chinese tires seem to be crap in many ways...the dealer is wandering over replacing them just like they drive my vehicle over the road...

Question on tires: Is the correct pressure around 25/21 front and rear? Does it matter on the pressure with the manufacture of the tire? In other words: Will 33lbs. all around cause a rough ride and wandering vehicle? I've had the front end aligned via a Hunter system with computer print out...same guy sold me the Chinese tires though.?

I'll just put in the Dion cd when the radio gets installed and then drive around...

Again, thanks for any suggestions leads, information, etc.

I am focusing in on painting this vehicle with Rustoleum Poly (5400 series) paint. In the backyard, under a tree, inside a Costco tent, on a warm, windless day...with cold beer at the ready!

Highway to Heaven!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:44 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Try posting on Joe Isuzu's site. That sight is better at the second gen and Diesel engines.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:55 am 
Addicted to LUV

www.isuzupup.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:33 pm 

Ok...here we go!

Got out the pulley bearing, went to NAPA for a solution. Had to go to the main store, saw an old parts' friend who took out his caliper and came up with this part: #6304-2RSJ bearing. Made in Argentina, list price $83.80 but cost to me a paltry $39.95 plus tax.

Who's kidding who here? Oh well, close enough in fit...should give at least 100k miles.

Why not get NAPA's finest fan belts, needed two: #25-9590 Premium level. About $20 each, I just didn't want to look at cost, but the belts fit correctly.

I didn't break anything putting this mess back together and everything seems to work fine.

Side note: Driving without power steering is not that hard, I'm buffed up for my age thanks to this issue!

Bad news: Been going round and round with my tire/alignment company (went there from recommendation of a friend where they sold me a simple set of Chinese tires, Hunter 4 wheel lazer alignment) over vehicle wandering, shaking at speeds starting 45 mph leaving around 57mph but still wandering to the left...right into oncoming traffic.

Two additional wheel balances then a new alignment, but no admittance of bad tires. New alignment specs (they gave me the printed sheet where before and after specs are presented) where the severe wandering is gone, yet the vibration still there.

Question: Noted the tire pressure is hovering at 32lbs each tire. Did see on set of specs where tire pressure is supposed to be much lower, reminds me of my VW Thing's death wobble and low pressure specs. Could tire pressure be those lower specs I saw when searching for replacement quality tires at Costco? Of course, Costco no longer carries the 14" tires...

Oh well, at least I am ready to try and install the new radio, maybe listening to sounds will take the mind away from those previous bad decisions of where to do business.

2nd Side note: Not sure the "premium" brake shoes and pads from O'Reilly's are such; noted brake dust on front wheels after less than 2000 miles. Never again...

However, all is not lost, especially that 35 miles per gallon of fuel so far registered.

It is so much fun waving as I drive by the gas stations...motoring on.

This is so far a great truck!

Just painted a plastic seat belt cover with Rustoleum paint...will try to scrape off new paint after cure to see if adhesion is working. If so, then a color change for the interior plastic pieces for pennies on the dollar!

Thinking of doing the exterior in Rustoleum's auto gloss black...and why not? That little red wagon I painted for a neighbor this past Christmas still looks great, fine flow out and high gloss...el cheapo deluxe!

After all, this is my driver, my working little truck...that could!

Thank you for your advice, support and ideas!