LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:52 pm 

Yikes...I posted earlier today a question on the proper transmission oil...got a great response...then decided I would hunt to see what was the sf[b] designation and what did it mean.

Found this web site forum [b]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/sf-oil-141624.html
where a serious answer as to oils, short history and other pertinent facts were presented.

After reading this and being confused to a level 3, I realized one question left out by me was [b]what type oil and brand should I put into my 81 diesel with 110k miles?[b]

Thanks ahead of time. Obviously--at present, the name of this game is to keep this vehicle in tip top shape whenever possible. Using others' knowledge seems to be the wise direction.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:18 pm 
Addicted to LUV

In my personal diesels I owned I used Delo 400.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:44 pm 
Addicted to LUV

The feds have mandated a reduction in ZDDP (a zinc compound), and that's not good for old flat tappet engines like ours. I use Rotella T6 full synthetic, but my oil consumption went up, and became pretty unpredictable shortly after I switched to the full synthetic. I've since found out that my valve guides were shot, as well as some seals on the front--but I think the synthetic found ways of getting out of the engine in more ways than the traditional oils did.

Since my engine is in the middle of an complete overhaul, I'm going to stick with the T6 synthetic and try to keep it going for at least another 30 years or so.

Jack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:10 am 

Well here we go...I can get Delo 400 at Costco, but as for the oil Joe Isuzu uses, I'll have to search for that brand...Napa first.

Thanks people for the good advice. I'm on my way.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:16 am 
Addicted to LUV

dakotabound wrote:
Well here we go...I can get Delo 400 at Costco, but as for the oil Joe Isuzu uses, I'll have to search for that brand...Napa first.

Thanks people for the good advice. I'm on my way.

I'm not sure I'd put full synthetic into a 1981 engine that's never used it. It might start leaking more.

Jack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:54 pm 

Hey Joe Isuzu...thanks for the ideas and information. I've got some 400 series oil at the home for the air compressor, so most likely it will go into the unit for a few hundred miles etc. It'll be interesting to see what the 3.41 rear end does for my city shifting and how it may or may not bring up city gas mileage. Should be just a change in rpm for each gear when shifting. Hopefully, that is.

The sun visors look and work fine. Intend to spray the headliner a tan like the visors...should go ok with the black and maroon interior.

Installing the Kenwood radio (din 1) looks to be a tight fit and a tricky mounting, hopefully with little cut out on the dash black surround moulding. Got to figure out my speaker solution, keeping it simple and out of the way.

Was wondering if an aftermarket heater hose suppler provides the heater hose with the bends like my original?

Again thanks for the sage advice.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:59 pm 
Addicted to LUV

dakotabound wrote:
Installing the Kenwood radio (din 1) looks to be a tight fit and a tricky mounting, hopefully with little cut out on the dash black surround moulding.
It can be cut to accommodate a DIN radio, but the trick is how to cover the old screw holes (or shaft holes, I don't recall) from the factory radio. I originally routed out the factory faceplate bezel to surround the DIN mounting cage. Here's how that one came out.
Attachment:
VZ309.jpg
VZ309.jpg [ 303.96 KiB | Viewed 11348 times ]
I later swapped that out for a Pioneer head unit and I let a pro install it. He used some generic backing plate to cover the original gaps, and I'm not too crazy about that. Sorry, I don't even have a picture of it.
dakotabound wrote:
Got to figure out my speaker solution, keeping it simple and out of the way.
I highly recommend the 6.5" front speakers I have. They're Pioneers, and I think the spacer ring is only 1/2".
Attachment:
Pioneer-6.5-front.jpg
Pioneer-6.5-front.jpg [ 211.08 KiB | Viewed 11348 times ]
I had some custom enclosures made and added 2 8" subs behind the seat. I don't have good photos of those.
dakotabound wrote:
Was wondering if an aftermarket heater hose suppler provides the heater hose with the bends like my original?
Not aftermarket, but there's a guy on the IsuzuPup.com site who can get factory hoses. He usually has them in stock. He goes by "JLEMOND".

Jack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:13 am 

See...here we go again with some great info (and pics!) from Joe Isuzu....you're becoming my "new best friend" in this road restoration project!

Not being that musically inclined, I'll probably just go with the speakers on the kick panel...thanks for the heads up.

Will try the guy for the hoses...I'm thinking of carrying a spare set, seeing how when something breaks it always happens when you want it to!

Emailed the fellow with the correct rear end ratio...he responded quickly and with a great price...problem was that I had already committed to the used unit locally...however, I still have his address and it was a fine recommendation and one which I will support if the need arises.

The interior of your vehicle looks rather comfy and nice. Hopefully, mine will turn out in such a direction.

I've got the original (non working when removed...don't know why) Luv am Fujitsu brand radio for those out there seeking "all original" status.

Hope to be driving this baby by Thursday evening...ok, before 10 days pass from today...am a very slow mechanic who works under the shade tree with poor lighting and shaky hands.

Thanks for all the help.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:54 am 

As far as zinc goes, powersports oil still have high levels of it to keep our small engines going that run 6k+ rpm all day. I honestly don't know enough about the other specific requirements of this old diesel to say if powersports oil would be a viable alternative though. I had a jeep 4.0l that had a severe rod knock that ran a long time (and still did when I sold it) on 5-50 synthetic polaris oil though.... that being said I put royal purple 15-40 in my luv. Not sure if it's the best for the application but at least I know it's a good oil.