LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:47 am 

alright kids, I just picked up a 1980 luv 4x4 the other day, but here's the kicker, its a diesel swapped from an 81! (so no egr, heaven!) The engine, tranny, and front diff were swapped into the 80. it was having some cold start issues until i added 12 volt plugs and set them on a switch and a new fuel filter, runs like a champ. my first issue is basically all the wiring, 75% of all the wiring in the truck is now worthless and i want it out so i can uncomplicate the entire situation. Has anyone set up their own harness that works with the stock truck dash gauges? I'd really like to set it up on a atc fuse block as well. pics soon!
- jordan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:06 am 
Addicted to LUV

Jordan, only the California-spec diesels had EGR.

If you have any of the original glow system components, I think there's a market for them. Please don't trash them.

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:32 am 

Unfortunately it didn't have the original glow plug components or id use them. Im going to have to use a switch and 12 volt.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:52 pm 
da LUV masta

Check out the build thread in my signature.

Not exactly your situation as I started with the diesel harness and changed connections on it to match the non-diesel specific things such as gages, lights, etc.

Get a copy of the wiring diagrams for both.

Hopefully this helps.
Eric Q.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:49 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

jmilne123 wrote:
alright kids, I just picked up a 1980 luv 4x4 the other day, but here's the kicker, its a diesel swapped from an 81! (so no egr, heaven!) The engine, tranny, and front diff were swapped into the 80. it was having some cold start issues until i added 12 volt plugs and set them on a switch and a new fuel filter, runs like a champ. my first issue is basically all the wiring, 75% of all the wiring in the truck is now worthless and i want it out so i can uncomplicate the entire situation. Has anyone set up their own harness that works with the stock truck dash gauges? I'd really like to set it up on a atc fuse block as well. pics soon!
- jordan

Does rockauto make full harnesses? The easiest thing would be to get a complete one and whittle it down to what you need.
If you're wanting to just delete unnecessary stuff, then do like Eric Q. said and download those wiring diagrams so you can figure out what you can spare. They are here: http://www.luvtruck.com/Information.htm
Making a new harness is actually kind of an undertaking, because you've got so many special little contacts to first purchase and then join properly.

If you do decide to make a harness from scratch, you can do it one of two ways. Either pull the existing wires out, lay them on the floor of your shop, and copy what you need with new wires(assuming you label everything you remove, or remember where each harness offshoot goes) replacing the plugs and jacks with new ones.

Otherwise, make your copy on the truck, parallel to the existing harness. Get everything 'fit', then do all the contacts last. This is tedious and you are gonna have to contort all over the place to reach everything, but at least you know exactly what goes to what.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:49 pm 

Thanks everyone, i appreciate the input. I got all the electrical running off the stock harness except 2 things. 1. The high beams (they did work as did the dash light but now they don't ), 2. The stop lights (tail lights work, but the brake lights don't on either side). I tied connecting the brake switch writes to make the stop lights engage, but nothing, along with cleaning and checking all the connections. Do the high beams have a deliberate relay or breaker that allow the low beams to function but not the high/high indicator?

Last edited by jmilne123 on Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:52 pm 

As much as id love to take the time and money to rig up a clean perfect waterproof anal harness for the luv, i just can't at the moment. I've decided i need to be more concerned about making her road legal again than a new harness,the current one ill make due with.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:29 pm 
da LUV masta

jmilne123 wrote:
waterproof anal harness

I wanted to look this term up but since I was at work I decided against it.

Regarding the high beam question, the wiring diagram linked above should clarify for you. Off hand, I don't remember.

Is your fuse for the stop lights intact? I recently had an issue with blowing the fuse for my stop lights that I finally tracked down to the stop switch connector. It had rubbed through the insulation and was shorting out on nearby metal.

Best of luck,
Eric Q.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:11 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Eric Q. wrote:
jmilne123 wrote:
waterproof anal harness

I wanted to look this term up but since I was at work I decided against it.

Another autocorrect fail? :lol:

Jack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:25 pm 

I laughed really hard reading these responses! I fixed the headlight issue as well. I basically took apart the switch off the steering column and cleaned all the brass contacts with a dremel brush, works great now. I fixed up all my other electrical problems, most of which involved cursing and cleaning with the dremel. All good now, i even rigged up a nice glow plug harness with a solenoid off a 88 f250 diesel. I was having starting issues from what i though may be air in the fuel lines, or leaky injectors, but now i think i havent been letting the glow plugs heat up enough! i've been doing 5-6 seconds on, 10 off. from what i read, i need more like 20-25 seconds in this 50 degree temperature! i'll give it a shot tomorrow morning. cross fingers for me!! and thanks for the help guys.

oh also, any idea the correct compression for the 2.2 diesel? i want to throw a tester on it soon.
and who is the best on this site to rebuild injectors with nozzles and all?

thanks again,
jordan