LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:29 pm 

Hello, and thank you all for this wonderful forum. I have an '82 LUV Deisel 2WD with a beefed up frame (quarter inch plate welded to the frame) as well as a Reese hitch welded to the frame. How much will my LUV tow? I am wanting to pull a small 15' travel trailer that weighs 2700lb and has electric brakes the tongue weight is about 300lb. Is this too much for the LUV?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:15 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Im not an expert by any means but it sounds like your frame is plenty strong, and since the trailer has brakes it shouldnt be a problem to tow, 2700lbs isnt a whole lot to tow, the danger is usually when the trailer is heavy and has no brakes, can push a light truck like a luv down the road if you lock up the brakes and cause some scary situations...

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:53 am 
Addicted to LUV

Wow, I'm impressed that you're able to pull it.

If I recall correctly, it's rated for 200 lbs. tongue weight and 1,500 lbs. total. You're at 300/2,700. Your trailer is still just about the same weight as the truck. Even with trailer brakes, that seems a little scary to me. You said the hitch is welded to the frame. Is yours a short bed, or long bed? I'd feel a little better if long bed, as the wheelbase is longer.

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:55 pm 

have you towed it before for any amount of distance? i figure unless its a popup camper then you prob wont be able to pull more than 50 mph cause of drag. my old mazda b2200 would pull a popup really well but when i hooked anything tall and flat like an enclosed trailer (in your case an RV) it would pull it down really bad and would have to be in 4th gear near the floor to run 55. also with drag and resistance comes cooling challenges. make sure cooling system is up to the task before you try long distance.
alot of times tow rating are hampered by braking capibilties not the power or structual ability.

try it on a highway free of traffic and see how it does short distances then go from there. i bet itll do it no problem but you wont get anywhere very fast. Ive towed my sisters 32ft RV with my S10 blazer with an almighty 2.8 5 speed and 4.11 gears but i couldnt go very fast.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:44 pm 
Addicted to LUV

If thE trailer starts to sway on you it will be a fun ride. As others stated you won't be able to travel fast, in fact I bet you would be in the slow lane getting passed by most. I would not do it but that is just me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:57 am 

i agree with luvrv8. if it starts to sway it will be no fun at all. Ive had a couple scary rides pulling trailers that got caught by a nasty cross wind and dished spot of the highway at the same time. one of those times my mom was riding shotgun and was screaming repeatedly and alternating "WE'RE GONNA DIE" followed by "YOU CAN DRIVE OUT OF IT". long story short we drove about 3 miles at 90+ mph (my speedo pegged at 85) with a 5x10 utility trailer loaded with a couple quads jumping literally lane to lane. if i let off it got worse and i had no brakes on the trailer to slow it down independently and there were multiple overpasses in that about 5 mile stretch so i would gain speed coming downhill and had to maintain whatever speed i ended up going til the trailer finally straightened out on its own.

thankfully you have brakes on your trailer though so if you get sway just tap the brake controller and you should be ok. also you should buy a sway control bar or load leveling kit. both will help reduce the risk of sway and you can get them cheap at harbor freight.

another thing to consider is the angle of your tongue when towing. my experience is that a slightly higher than level tongue generally pulls better but sometimes slightly lower is better. for example the 5x10 utility trailer mentioned above pulls excellent with several degree upward angle vs my tow dolly that likes to be as low as possible. you should call you local rv shop or the manufacture and see what they recommend.

just remember if you get sway dont jab the brakes unless you like your trailer pulling you.