LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Engine Swap
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:35 pm 

A year ago I bought a 82' Mikado Luv diesel that I posted some questions on this form about. I have got the truck running good and use it daily as a farm truck (don't drive it on the road).

A few weeks ago I ran across a 1980 Luv 4x4 that was in pretty descent shape, so I went ahead and bought it. I would like to fix it up a little and drive it on the road, but the engine isn't the best. I know this question has been asked on here a lot, but, if I could find a used diesel engine out of a Luv would it be too much of a problem to put it into the 1980 4x4? From what I have read on here it sounds like there is a big conflict between swaps from a 4x2 and 4x4.

I have found the Luv's to be addicting little creatures. I look for them now when I am driving down the roads, but don't see very many of them where I live. Thanks in advance for any information.

Post subject: Re: Engine Swap
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:01 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Get a 4x4 donor engine if you can find it. Don't limit yourself to LUVs, but look at P'ups through 1986 (actually 1987, but there were VERY few diesels imported in 1987). The advantage of the '86-'87 4x4 P'up is that they only came with 5-speeds. And some were factory turbocharged. You could also use one from an '86-'87 Trooper. I'm pretty sure all of those were turbocharged.

Jack