LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:41 pm 

My 1980 Luvs 1.8 is over the hill so i need to replace it with something.I found a s10 with a isuzu diesel out of 82 or 84 pup (not certain of the year) it's turbo-ed and has a 5 speed tranny about 6 miles from my house. I'm planning to go check it out tomorrow afternoon. My question is what should i be looking for? Looking though this site i saw that there are different models made. Which would i need ? And is it something worth messing with? I'd get the whole truck for $1,000.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:18 pm 
Addicted to LUV

It would take some work, converting electrical, exhaust,intake system etc, but it is doable. It depends on what type of skill level your mechanical ability is.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:26 pm 

I enjoy mechanical stuff but this would be my biggest project as of yet so i'm not to skilled :cry:. But have some friends that are.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:21 pm 
Addicted to LUV

The biggest thing is the parts needed. If you have the complete trucks for parts that's a big help. Things that come up that will need to be addressed is the glow plugs. A wiring circuit will need to be made, I would most likely use a push button through a relay for that. I am pretty knowledgeable on diesels just not the Isuzu diesels, we have members here that know them well and will chime in. I also would looking into the rear end ratio, I forget what the diesels came with in the 5 speed trim.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:08 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I can agree with most everything said so far. I'm biased toward the factory glow system. It works beautifully as long as you keep the connections clean and tight. If using a push button, then it's best to switch to 12v plugs, which take much longer to heat up than the factory "Quick On System". Probably best to get whatever you can from the donor truck.

Since the motor is a retrofit, I'd be curious to know if it actually came from a P'up, or if it came from a Chevette or I-Mark. If the intake and exhaust are on the same side (driver's side), it's a P'up/LUV engine.

Tell us what you find, and keep asking questions...

Jack

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:59 am 

Thanks for your help guys.The way i understood it,it was in a pup till it rusted out then was transferred to the s10. But will know more tonight.I will let you all know what i find. Is there any specific things i should be looking for? As i never gave a diesel swap much thought till this truck came up in my back yard.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:41 am 
Addicted to LUV

The truck wrote:
Thanks for your help guys.The way i understood it,it was in a pup till it rusted out then was transferred to the s10. But will know more tonight.I will let you all know what i find. Is there any specific things i should be looking for? As i never gave a diesel swap much thought till this truck came up in my back yard.

If the S10 is not driveable, $1,000 seems high for just an engine & transmission.

Specific things...
  • Does the seller know when the timing belt was last changed?
  • Do you know what year the engine and transmission are from? I'd pay a little more for an '84 or later engine, and more for an '86 or later transmission. If the transmission is pre-'86, it's probably pretty worn.
  • Look for a full factory glow system that works. It should glow for 3-5 seconds when cold, then start right up. If it has a push button, it's not factory. That's not a deal breaker, but it would lower the value.

If you post some photos of the engine from a few angles, I can probably tell you what year it is. There were some subtle differences.

Jack

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:09 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

If you want a nice clean factory look then it will take a little time. I have done this swap in my 79 luv and another member here has done it also in his luv. I went for the factory appearance, cutting open both the luv & diesel harnesses open. Removing what didn't matter from luv harness and then adding what I needed from diesel harness. One coolant hose has to be cut on Diesel engine and modified to fit factory luv heater core.
Hope this helps,
Mike.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:41 pm 

I went and took a look at it this afternoon and i had my facts reversed it was in a 84 s10 then when that rusted out it was put in a 91 gas pup which is rusted out now but still drivable for a short time . So my thought is that it should be a fairly simple swap as it it was already put in a gas isuzu truck and should have all the parts needed for mine????It does have the 12v push button glow plugs :( . But it seems to run nice and smooth. At 55mph it runs around 4psi boost and when you step on it it will go as hi as 14psi. I did not take any pics but if that would be helpfull in any way i could get some. I am a newbie at this so don"t be afraid to ask questions and and give your opinions and advice. Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:40 pm 
Addicted to LUV

The truck wrote:
I went and took a look at it this afternoon and i had my facts reversed it was in a 84 s10 then when that rusted out it was put in a 91 gas pup which is rusted out now but still drivable for a short time . So my thought is that it should be a fairly simple swap as it it was already put in a gas isuzu truck and should have all the parts needed for mine????It does have the 12v push button glow plugs :( . But it seems to run nice and smooth. At 55mph it runs around 4psi boost and when you step on it it will go as hi as 14psi. I did not take any pics but if that would be helpfull in any way i could get some. I am a newbie at this so don"t be afraid to ask questions and and give your opinions and advice. Thanks

There were no '91 P'ups, but maybe you mean a Pickup. So, the important question is, which transmission does it have, the S10 transmission or the Isuzu transmission? If it has the S10 transmission, I'm not sure how easily that will fit into your LUV. That's a good transmission, and mostly compatible with the gas S10.

Jack

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:12 pm 

How could i tell which tranny it has? And is there a difference between the isuzu pup/pickup(i'm ignorant) and my luv????The frame and every thing under this isuzu look just like my Luv to me.May be i misunderstood him on the year it is. Thanks ALLOT for doing the thinking for me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:50 pm 
Addicted to LUV

The truck wrote:
How could i tell which tranny it has? And is there a difference between the isuzu pup/pickup(i'm ignorant) and my luv????The frame and every thing under this isuzu look just like my Luv to me.May be i misunderstood him on the year it is. Thanks ALLOT for doing the thinking for me.

If the transmission has a rounded bell housing, it's the GM/Borg Warner. If the bell housing is the whole front half of the transmission (like on your LUV), it's the Isuzu transmission.

I don't know enough about the 1st-gen LUV trucks to answer the other question, but Mike (1badluv) can probably help with that one.

Jack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:23 pm 

I believe this truck has the T5 borg warner tranny. So what am i going to be up against in doing the swap. From what i could find on this site it seem so are some guys using this tranny in there Luvs,but could not seem to find much on what it takes to do it. Also if it did not work out how much would that bellhousing be worth? From
what i could find it seems they are a rare find.

Edit: The guy that owns this truck is willing to let me bring the truck to my shop so i can compare them side by side,so i'm planning to pick it up this eve.
If you know things i should be checking let me know. I will try to post some pic of it.

Thanks, Brendon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:43 pm 
Addicted to LUV

The T5 never came in the LUV, so it would have to be a transplant if anyone has one.

I saw the bell housing alone go on eBay for $300 once. But just once. I've seen them go for $100.

Jack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:47 pm 
Addicted to LUV

You should be able to put it all in the LUV, depending on the skills your friends have to do some fab work...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:54 pm 

I got the truck in my shop and took some pics of it but when i try to upload them from my card it just says invalid file???what am i doing wrong? . Some things i found are water pump is leaking and vac pump does not work..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:46 pm 
Addicted to LUV

The truck wrote:
I got the truck in my shop and took some pics of it but when i try to upload them from my card it just says invalid file???what am i doing wrong? . Some things i found are water pump is leaking and vac pump does not work..

What is the file format of the photos? Is it .jpg, or what? What kind of computer are you using to upload them?

This is a belt-driven vacuum pump, right? If so, it's an easy replacement.

Jack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:42 am 

Yes the vac pump is belt driven.
I finally figured out the pics were to big, so i resized them and it worked. So take a look at them and tell me what you think.

Thanks, Brendon

Attachments:
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG [ 901.93 KiB | Viewed 14371 times ]
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG [ 1000.66 KiB | Viewed 14371 times ]
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG [ 868.07 KiB | Viewed 14371 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:58 am 

Got a few more pics.

Attachments:
IMG_0010.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG [ 866.21 KiB | Viewed 14369 times ]
IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG [ 990.6 KiB | Viewed 14369 times ]
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG [ 911 KiB | Viewed 14369 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:44 am 
Addicted to LUV

Yes, it's definitely the GM version of the engine, and it's pre-'84. You may have a tough time finding a water pump for it, because it's not the same water pump that the Isuzu version uses. GM used their own water pump and thermostat housing so that they could use the same radiator as their gas-powered S10.

The transmission is also GM (Borg Warner) as you said. And the vacuum pump is right out there for easy access. The turbo setup is all aftermarket.

Jack