LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:20 am 

This forum looks like the answers to my luv Problems. :ebiggrin
Im wanting to look into getting a 79' luv. SO im also wanting to get one of the Isuzu Diesel engines that seem to run about $1850
Or get a used one for less. But my question is this

1. will a 4jb1-t? or c223... i think thats right. Bolt right up to a 4 speed tranny on my 79 luv?
2. if not, whats needed?
3.Im looking for fuel economy, what can i expect?
4. if all im looking for is economy, is a turbo worth looking in to?
5. How available are the parts im looking for?

I have heard of people doing diesel swaps but i cant FIND anyone who has the info on the swap.
any help will be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:26 am 
Addicted to LUV

Uh-huh wrote:
This forum looks like the answers to my luv Problems. :ebiggrin
Im wanting to look into getting a 79' luv. SO im also wanting to get one of the Isuzu Diesel engines that seem to run about $1850
Or get a used one for less. But my question is this

1. will a 4jb1-t? or c223... i think thats right. Bolt right up to a 4 speed tranny on my 79 luv?
2. if not, whats needed?
3.Im looking for fuel economy, what can i expect?
4. if all im looking for is economy, is a turbo worth looking in to?
5. How available are the parts im looking for?

I have heard of people doing diesel swaps but i cant FIND anyone who has the info on the swap.
any help will be much appreciated.

Welcome to the site. There are two possible swaps that are relatively easy, and available. Both have been done by members on this site. I hope they'll weigh in here.
  1. The 4FB1 (from a diesel Chevette or Iisuzu I-Mark) will bolt up to your transmission, and is the easiest one. It's 50 HP (or was when fresh from the factory), 1.8L, OHC, and has a 5k RPM redline.
  2. The C223 (from a diesel LUV, P'up, or Trooper) will not bolt up to the transmission, but assuming you're a 2wd, the transmission from the donor vehicle should work. It is (or was) 58-60 HP, depending on the year. It's a 2.23L pushrod OHV engine with about a 4,250 RPM redline. I believe the exhaust may be on the wrong side for the LUV, but I'm not sure. Hopefully, the guys who have done these swaps can correct me if I'm wrong.

The 4JB1 motor is larger and would not fit without a body lift. Same for the 4JG2.

Adding a turbo is easier on the C223, but Isuzu had connecting rod issues when they did it. Opinions vary on whether it's a good move. Seems like it's harder to add the turbo to the 4FB1, but I don't know why. It's probably more capable of handling the extra boost.

Both the 4FB1 and C223 were sold here in the U.S., and most parts can be found.

Edit: Got your PM. Thanks, but my specialty is diesels and maybe 2nd-gen LUVs. When it comes to actually swapping them into a 1st-gen, I have to defer to the 1st-gen guys--especially the ones who have done it.

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:51 pm 

Thank you for your input. Does a 4x4 change things up too dramatically? what id really like to be shooting for is about 35-40 mpg.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:35 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Uh-huh wrote:
Thank you for your input. Does a 4x4 change things up too dramatically? what id really like to be shooting for is about 35-40 mpg.

Depends on what "too dramatically" means.

If the LUV is already 4x4, and your diesel motor is not--you will have clearance issues with the oil pan. The 4FB1 didn't come in 4wd, so that rules it out unless you wanted to do quite a bit of fabrication.

If the LUV is not already 4x4, that's a lot more work than just installing the diesel engine.

I think 35-40 mpg is possible, but only with 2wd. I get 35 mpg around town with my P'up (like the 2nd-generation LUV). The 4FB1 would probably do a little better.

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:48 pm 

So. Since the one im interested in is a 4x4. that narrows the engines down to the c223 and the 4jb1 4jg2? .
The latter would work but requires at least a 2" lift kit and the exhaust may need to be changed is that right?
the c223 will work but requires a transmission from the same vehicle it came from. if this is true, then the drive shaft and axel would be work just fine?

Aaaand assuming i dump the idea of a 4x4 and get a 2 wheel drive for simplicity. i could get a hold of the 4fb1 drop it in and go with minimal fabrication?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:03 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Uh-huh wrote:
So. Since the one im interested in is a 4x4. that narrows the engines down to the c223 and the 4jb1 4jg2? .
The latter would work but requires at least a 2" lift kit and the exhaust may need to be changed is that right?
I don't know for sure that it would work, but I know at least one owner who has installed a 4JB1-T into his 2nd gen truck with a 2" body lift. The 1st gen guys will have to help with that question. The 4JG2 engines are getting very hard to find with manual transmissions and mechanical injection pumps.
Uh-huh wrote:
the c223 will work but requires a transmission from the same vehicle it came from. if this is true, then the drive shaft axel would be work just fine?
Don't know the 1st gen well enough to answer that one. The donor vehicle might be short bed, long bed, or even a Trooper, so who knows...
Uh-huh wrote:
Aaaand assuming i dump the idea of a 4x4 and get a 2 wheel drive for simplicity. i could get a hold of the 4fb1 drop it in and go with minimal fabrication?
That would probably be the easiest option.

Jack

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:18 am 

Any 1st gen guys out there available to chime in?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:28 am 
Addicted to LUV

Uh-huh wrote:
Any 1st gen guys out there available to chime in?

If you browse this section of the site, you should be able to figure out who they are. Then PM them and ask them if they'll comment on this topic (rather than via PM). It's best that way, so that others down the road may benefit from the discussion.

Jack

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:09 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Yes to answer your question the C223 diesel will bolt right in to 1st gen luv with very little mods. I own & drive a79 long bed diesel myself. There are 4 main mods that will need to be done in order for this to work properly.
1st Both throttle cables are needed. The inner cable needs to removed & both outer cable casings cut in half. The 79 half the secures to firewall is kept & diesel half to injection pump is kept for engine. Both halves are then butted together & bonded with heat shrink tubing, then a small piece of fuel hose is placed over heat shrink tubing & zip tied into place as a support. The diesel inner cable is then routed back through the cable casing. At the inner cable end to fuel pedal spead the cable apart & apply liquid weld to retain the plastic clip into place. Let dry overnight.
2nd, The diesel heater hose closest to the 79 heater core turn off valve will need to cut just before curve in the hose. It then needs to be turned 180 degrees & butted back up to hose where it was cut off with a 5/8 steel tube insert about inch long & clamped in place. This allows the diesel factory heater hose to operate the factory luv heater core turn off valve.
3rd, The factory luv radiator inlet & out ports are in the wrong position for the Diesel engine. I had a custom radiator made by BeCool to fit in the 1st gen luv core support with the ports in correct position. They now have the blueprints if anyone else wants a radiator made. Price was $600 with shipping.
4th, The diesel & stock gas wiring harness both had to be removed from vehicle & cut open.& the stock gas engine electrical charging system wires removed along with voltage regulator. Then the Diesel engine wiring charging & glow system wiring removed from its harness. All diesel wiring must be put into the 1st gen harness so the factory luv gauges work with the Diesel engine. After I completed this it looked like Isuzu did it from the factory.
I can take pics & post them if you want to see it done. All in all after a few more details are completed my 79 luv will have factory working A/C & burning waste veggie oil.
Hope this helps,
Mike.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:35 am 
Addicted to LUV

Mike, are you bringing this one to the meet next month? I hope so.

Uh-huh, where are you located? Here's a chance to see one up-close.

Jack

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:39 am 
da LUV masta

Just a quick reply so you can easily find my build thread which is in my signature.

A couple of differences from my build is that I started with a '75 which complicated a few things and made a few things easier than your '79.
1. The motor mounts didn't match so I had to do some welding.
2. The radiator ports match the diesel so nothing special there.
3. '75 used a hydraulic clutch so it was pretty easy to convert.

And like has been said, the wiring harness will need some work. I took a bit of pride in merging the existing gas harness with the diesel harness so that the truck would appear stock and I have full functionality of the stock diesel QOS setup.

And my truck is 2WD so no experience with the 4WD components. But if you are looking for mileage, you might want to consider a 2WD instead.

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask and good luck,
Eric Q.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:11 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Eric Q. wrote:
Just a quick reply so you can easily find my build thread which is in my signature.

A couple of differences from my build is that I started with a '75 which complicated a few things and made a few things easier than your '79.
1. The motor mounts didn't match so I had to do some welding.
2. The radiator ports match the diesel so nothing special there.
3. '75 used a hydraulic clutch so it was pretty easy to convert.

And like has been said, the wiring harness will need some work. I took a bit of pride in merging the existing gas harness with the diesel harness so that the truck would appear stock and I have full functionality of the stock diesel QOS setup.

And my truck is 2WD so no experience with the 4WD components. But if you are looking for mileage, you might want to consider a 2WD instead.

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask and good luck,
Eric Q.

Eric's build is really nice, too. His is also a C223 (as is Mike's). Note that he also transplanted the 3.73 rear end from the '82 donor truck. In my opinion, this is the optimum rear end for the C223 (with a 5-speed), for most drivers.

Hopefully, we'll hear from one or more of the 4FB1 drivers. I know Ar280z has one.

If you'll tell us where you're located, I may be able to help you find an engine.

Jack

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:47 am 

:D Wow. you guys are great! Thanks for the input. Dont worry about taking picks right now. I dont want you guys to go through all the trouble if the luv i snag isnt going to work out. (which it doesnt look like it will) Im in Joshua TX BTW. Bout 30 min from DFW.

1badluv

da luv masta

What kind of MPG are you guys getting with your 2WD and 3:73 gears? I really like the idea of a 4x4 but from what ive heard in other places they are quite gutless. So my tactics may need to change on the Luvs i have been considering.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:47 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Uh-huh wrote:
...with your 2WD and 3:73 gears?...

Let's be clear. Nobody has 3:73 gears. You could never get it rolling. It's 3.73 gears (or, expressed as a ratio, 3.73:1).

Jack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:41 am 
da LUV masta

as far as the 4JB1-T 2.8L i have a little info but not in regards to gen1 LUVs

ive orderd one and its now on US ground :D :D but on the east coast 3,000 miles away and it was $2,500 :(
for reference these things are just about 650LBs including the 4wd trans or 490lb for the engine.

hears a nice little how-to i found on the net..for a 88/91 trooper in stall. as i dont know any one thats put one of these in a gen 1 LUV
http://www.dieseltrooper.blogspot.com/2005_07_01_archive.html

86 L\B 4X4 gas 5 speed 2.3
the twins, 81 pup and 81 LUV both are diesel 2.2

The Energizer Bunny is trying to keep up, and is starting to gasp for air!!