LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:30 pm 

I am starting to get concerned that my radiator is simply to small for the diesel engine. I installed a 5 speed transmission and my rearend gears are 373.

When I get up to 55 the trucks starts to overheat in 4th and 5th gear. If I turn on the a/c it get's hot even faster. When I slow down the temp goes down and if I stop and let it idle it cools to 185 pretty fast.

I am not getting any bubbles or compression in the radiator, I am running 2, 1400 cfm electric fans, one on my a/c condencer and the other on my radiator.

Is this first generation luv radiator simply to small to run with the 4fb1 or is there a chance my radiator is clogged.

I removed the thermostat and there is no differance.

When I put a water hose in the upper readiator hose inlet it immidiatly start coming out the lower, it never raises in the tank, it just flows right through!

I have ran some flush through it and a bunch of rusty water came out. I repeated the process multiple times until the water was clear.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:44 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I doubt the size alone is the problem. It's probably a combination of size and the amount of sediment that's accumulated over the years. I have the 2.2 diesel and my radiator eventually got where it wouldn't do the job. I had it professionally cleaned out, and that helped--but it was never like new. I swapped it for a 3-row radiator that does better, but it still doesn't cool like my original one did when new. I'd be looking for a new replacement radiator.

I've always thought the 1.8 diesel would make a good swap in the 1st-gen LUV. How does it perform?

Jack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:56 pm 

JoeIsuzu wrote:
I doubt the size alone is the problem. It's probably a combination of size and the amount of sediment that's accumulated over the years. I have the 2.2 diesel and my radiator eventually got where it wouldn't do the job. I had it professionally cleaned out, and that helped--but it was never like new. I swapped it for a 3-row radiator that does better, but it still doesn't cool like my original one did when new. I'd be looking for a new replacement radiator.

I've always thought the 1.8 diesel would make a good swap in the 1st-gen LUV. How does it perform?

Jack

It is slow to get up to speed, but it does the job just fine. My goal was fuel mileage so I don't mind that it is not a powerhouse.

I don't see any way to get a larger radiator in there without cutting the rad support which I would rather not do! I will if I have to!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:48 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Ar280z wrote:
I don't see any way to get a larger radiator in there without cutting the rad support which I would rather not do! I will if I have to!

I wouldn't worry about larger. Just having a clean, new one will do wonders.

Jack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:01 am 

JoeIsuzu wrote:
Ar280z wrote:

I wouldn't worry about larger. Just having a clean, new one will do wonders.

Jack

Well that's what I was thinking. This 1.8 diesel should not need much more radiator than my 1.8 gas did!

I will get it rotted this week and see how it does!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:24 am 
Addicted to LUV

A 3 row radiator would only be a little thicker. It would not be taller or wider. You could take yours to a shop and have them re core it. IE remove your 2 row core and replace it with a 3 row core onto your tanks, and it would bolt right back in the truck.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:58 am 

I dropped my radiator off this morning! He just called to say it is 80% clogged! I ordered a stock replacement on eBay for $85. I will keep you posted on the progress!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:15 pm 
da LUV masta

You were able to find a stock replacement on ebay? I looked for a long time to find the correct one for our trucks. The '76 and newer were available but the '75 and older were scarce.

Could you provide the link for future reference?

Thanks and best of luck with your diesel. For what it's worth, I'm running the stock 1.8 gas radiator with the 2.2l diesel and I haven't had cooling issues but I don't do a lot of freeway miles either.

Eric Q.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:37 am 

Here is the link: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 0969410810

If that does not work I will redo it when I get back to my office!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:59 pm 
da LUV masta

The link worked for me; thanks.

That was almost 50 bucks less than I paid for mine... Argghhh. But good for you. :-)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:41 pm 

The radiator is installed. It is now running around 200 degrees with the a/c on running 55-60 mph. It is around 102 in Texas today so I guess I can live with that for now. At least I can hold a steady speed and hit the road. I do still have the thermostat out so maybe the coolant is circulating to fast!

I will drive it like this for the rest of the summer and figure it out next spring!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:13 am 

With out a doubt the thermostat helps the water "rest" in the radiator thus producing better cooling. I am now running 185 at 70 MPH. It only climbs when I reach a long uphil grade.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:53 am 
Addicted to LUV

Thanks for the update. Glad you got it figured out and fixed. Enjoy!