LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:52 pm 

Just purchased a 81 2wd Luv diesel 5 spd and im driving it from Las Vegas to Illinois. Need to change the oil but its upside down to me.Im used to filling the oil filter full before installation.This would make quite a mess.Is any prep needed for the new filter.Dont need any issues on the road.Luv my new truk!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:58 pm 
Addicted to LUV

The first time I did mine, I got more on the driveway than in the drain pan. :(

It's best to puncture the top of the old filter dead-center in the middle with a punch or screwdriver. Than let it drain about 15 minutes before removing it.

You can pre-fill the new filter if you have a fat finger to cover the hole while you line the filter up to thread onto the base. If you're quick, you will lose a little oil anyway. If you're slow, you will lose it all.

Since you're going on a road trip to take it home, there are a couple of other things you really should check (or ask about):

1. How many miles are on the timing belt? If it's over 60k, you're gambling. It's an "interference" engine. If it breaks, you will not get home, and you won't find anybody on the road who can repair it.
  2. There's an oil line that goes from the block to the back of the alternator. They get REALLY brittle, and if it breaks on the road, you will lose your engine oil really fast. They don't last long without oil. It's best to ASK the seller if this has been replaced, or if the alternator has ever been worked on. Simply MOVING this hose can crack it inside. You may want to take a new one with you and install it before the trip. PM me if you want to know who has them.
  3. The transmission needs motor oil in it. I think 5w40 is the recommended weight. Lots of them failed prematurely because owners used 90w gear lube. If you can't tell what it is, it's best to drain and fill it with 5w40. It takes 1.7 quarts.

And congrats on your purchase! :)

Jack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:53 am 

Thanks for all the great info. The tech at the lube place overfilled my truck with motor oil.I went 150 miles before i checked it. drained it filled to correct level.hope i didnt hurt it.thank goodness for the cresent wrench the previous owner sent with me.He also sold me a tow bar with it in case of trouble.I am a gambler cause the fluid levels are correct and im driving it home.I will stop and get some 5w 40 in that transmission. trying to caress my baby home.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:28 am 
Addicted to LUV

That's why I quit going to Jiffy Lube. I put up with them for over 25 years, but they finally managed to run me off.

Overfilling the '81 is not nearly as bad as overfilling the '84 (I know the LUV wasn't sold in '84, but the P'up was). If you overfilled an '84 by that much, you'd probably get a runaway engine, because it recirculates the crankcase vapors into the intake manifold. Too much oil, and it goes into the intake and the motor will run (away) on its own oil. Turning off the key makes no difference, because it doesn't stop the oil flow. That's pretty scary.

The '81-'83 engines didn't recirculate the crankcase vapors, they vented them to the ground. There's a large rubber hose on the passenger's side of the motor, called the "draft tube" that does this. You will probably find a puddle of oil on the driveway underneath the draft tube if you park in the same spot all the time.

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:52 pm 

Made it home thanks for the tips.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:31 pm 
Addicted to LUV

vzmark wrote:
Made it home thanks for the tips.

That's great news. Now get that timing belt and oil line changed!

Jack