LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Luv Heater Core
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:27 pm 

I recently bought a 1982 Chevy Luv Diesel to use as a farm truck. It has been setting for a while and needed a little bit of work. I let it set in my garage for a couple of weeks and got in it this weekend and noticed that there was antifreeze in the floorboard, so I am sure the heater core is leaking. My question is, how do you get the heater core out. Does the whole dash have to come out or is there a simpler way? I have never replaced a heater core in any truck so this will all be new to me and this is my first experience with a Luv.

The truck I bought is a pretty neat little truck, the original bed has been taken off and a flatbed has been put on it. It has also been fitted with a set of rear tires that came off of a dune buggey. I bought it at a farm sale and they used it to haul and check irrigation pipe. If I ever get it going again I will take some pictures and post them. Thanks for any advice.

Post subject: Re: Luv Heater Core
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:55 pm 
Australian LUV Guru

Don't pull the core untill you find a replacement (good luck with that), just join the hoses to bypass the core.

LUVTRKR wrote:
It does have a license plate so technically it is a street truck, that sets off car alarms and makes kids cry. lol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:17 am 
Addicted to LUV

First, welcome to the site. What part of the world are you in?

There are NO aftermarket replacement cores. The new factory cores are really good--and really pricey. Isuzu gets over $300 for them. There's a guy on the IsuzuPup.com site who can get you one for a little less. Or, you can get a salvaged core from an Isuzu Trooper, any year through '91. Look for signs of leakage before you pull the salvage core.

As for removal, the dash should NOT be removed. Does your truck have a/c? If so, it's a little more complicated, but if not, it's pretty simple. Once I hear back from you, I'll either list the steps or point you to an existing post somewhere.

Jack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:37 pm 

I am from Southwest Missouri, around the Joplin area. I never really paid much attention to Luv's and then I ran across this one at a sale. The farmer I bought the truck from had three of them on his farm.

The truck is a Makida model and it does have air conditioning. I bought a Chilton service manual for Isuzu Amigo/Pickups/Rodeo/Trooper, will this manual do me any good? I have learned that the Luv is the same as a Isuzu model but don't know which one.

Again, any information that I can get is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:15 am 
Addicted to LUV

luvharp82 wrote:
The truck is a Makida model and it does have air conditioning. I bought a Chilton service manual for Isuzu Amigo/Pickups/Rodeo/Trooper, will this manual do me any good?
Not really. Any manual that TRIES to cover that many models and that many different years is bound to fail at all of them. It fails miserably.
luvharp82 wrote:
I have learned that the Luv is the same as a Isuzu model but don't know which one.
The 2nd generation ('81-'82) is identical to the Isuzu P'ups of the same years. It's also essentially the same as P'ups through '87, but they stopped selling the LUV after '82.

The biggest problem with an a/c equipped truck is, it's hard to get the a/c evaporator out of the way because it has to stay connected on the outside (in the engine compartment). On the non-a/c equipped trucks, there's an a/c delete duct that just comes out easily.

Do NOT remove the dash, and do NOT disassemble the heater box, regardless what anybody tells you. I'll see if I can locate a step-by-step post somewhere. I agree with Oz, don't pull the old one until you have a replacement.

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:12 am 
Addicted to LUV

The simplest instructions I've seen are in THIS ONE POST. You can ignore the other posts in the same topic that tell you to remove the heater box, etc. I followed this post and mine was not that bad. However, it's for non-a/c equipped trucks. In the second paragraph, where it says:
Quote:
you'll see some duct work from the fan going to the heater box. This will have to be removed.
That's where the a/c evaporator is. You will need to remove the 3 10mm hex bolts that hold the evaporator in place. Be sure to make note of all electrical connections and vacuum lines, because they need to be reconnected EXACTLY as they were. Because of the hard line in the engine compartment, you will only be able to slide the evaporator case back about an inch or so. That's just enough to rotate the heater box enough to pull and replace the core, following the other directions in that post. Holler at me if that's not clear.

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:37 pm 

I am having a hard time visualizing all of this, but I don't have the truck right here in front of me. I am going to work on it this weekend and see if I can make it happen.

One thought though, my truck is not a jewl by any means and will only be used for a farm truck. I don't like to tear up or cobble up things but would it be possible to cut a groove in the firewall beside the two heater core lines that would allow the heater core to move far enough to the left of the truck to remove the core? Or is there something big that I am not picking up on that deals with the air conditioner? I haven't tried it but am almost 100% sure the AC doesn't work. In fact I can't get the blower motor switche for the AC/Heater fan to work.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:42 pm 
Addicted to LUV

luvharp82 wrote:
I am having a hard time visualizing all of this, but I don't have the truck right here in front of me. I am going to work on it this weekend and see if I can make it happen.
Funny, that's almost EXACTLY what I said when people tried to explain to me--before I tackled it. I can't tell you how many times I said that.
luvharp82 wrote:
One thought though, my truck is not a jewl by any means and will only be used for a farm truck. I don't like to tear up or cobble up things but would it be possible to cut a groove in the firewall beside the two heater core lines that would allow the heater core to move far enough to the left of the truck to remove the core? Or is there something big that I am not picking up on that deals with the air conditioner? I haven't tried it but am almost 100% sure the AC doesn't work. In fact I can't get the blower motor switche for the AC/Heater fan to work.
If I can ever get back to the salvage yard, there's an '86 gas P'up with A/C and it has the switch--but one of the levers is broken, if I recall correctly. Do you have ANY of the switch assembly?

I would not carve up the firewall, especially the way this is designed. The inlet and outlet both turn 90 degrees to go through the firewall. Cutting it would not help. I'll see if I can find some photos.

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:27 am 
Addicted to LUV

JoeIsuzu wrote:
luvharp82 wrote:
Funny, that's almost EXACTLY what I said when people tried to explain to me--before I tackled it. I can't tell you how many times I said that.
My exact words..."I'm having trouble visualizing this..."

This whole topic should help. It has instructions, annotated with my own running commentary as I did the job.

And by the way, taking out the blower fan was also COMPLETELY unnecessary. :oops:

Jack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:10 pm 

After reading these posts and looking at the pictures I finally got the core out. I did remove the blower and blower housing, then slid the air conditioner unit over a little to allow the heater core box to slide back, and finally the heater core came out. I agree with someone else who stated that the trucks must have been built around the heater core. Everyone is right, those cores are hard to find. The parts man at the local auto parts store said he would help me locate a core the same size as the Luv core and we would retro fit it into the original housing. If I can't get it repaired at a radiator shop I will try to retrofit another core in it. I wanted it fixed so I could use it this winter. Thanks for all the input.

Also, did they make tool beds to go on Luv trucks? When I was in college I worked in the grounds department and we had some S10's with tool beds.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:25 pm 
Addicted to LUV

luvharp82 wrote:
Also, did they make tool beds to go on Luv trucks? When I was in college I worked in the grounds department and we had some S10's with tool beds.

Yes they did...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:36 am 
Addicted to LUV

If your core has plastic ends, I doubt it is rebuildable. The core from an old Ford F100 truck can be modified,but you'd have to add a separate heater control valve, and modify the inlet and outlet, and probably more. But it's been done. Personally, I'd find a salvaged core from a '91 Isuzu Trooper, they're identical.

Jack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:29 am 
Addicted to LUV

Hey, I just checked a local yard's site and they have a 1991 Trooper that just came in. Want me to pull the core for you? I think I'd have to get $50 plus shipping for it. It's quite a drive and takes some time to pull and ship--plus, the yards CHARGE for parts! ;)

Let me know if you're interested.

Jack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:36 pm 

Joe Isuzu

Thanks for checking into that for me. I have got everything out and took the core to a radiator shop to have checked out. It is leaking around the plastic ends and the guy said that there wasn't much hope in repairing it. He found a core number in his radiator cataloge that matched the dimensions of the Luv core. He sent me to O Reilly's and they had the core in stock. I am going to put the new core in the Luv this week. I will have to put a valve on it but I think everything else will fit. I was able to buy the new core, a new valve and some radiator hose for $33.

Again, I appreciate you checking into that for me, but I am going to try to make this new core work for the truck. I am excited to get the truck up and going. When I get it done I will take some pictures and post them.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:23 pm 
Addicted to LUV

If the new core works out well, there are lots of folks at IsuzuPup.com who would love to know about it. Can you give me the part number?

Thanks.
Jack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:26 pm 

Sorry it took so long to reply to the post. The part number for that core was GAT 28417. It didn't fit exactly in the plastic housing. I had to make some plastic mounts to hold the end of it up and had to cut a larger hole out in the firewall. It wasn't an exact fit, but I think it will do the job for me. I am having a hard time getting my blower and blower motor back in. There isn't much room between it and the air conditioner.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:15 pm 
Addicted to LUV

luvharp82 wrote:
Sorry it took so long to reply to the post. The part number for that core was GAT 28417. It didn't fit exactly in the plastic housing. I had to make some plastic mounts to hold the end of it up and had to cut a larger hole out in the firewall. It wasn't an exact fit, but I think it will do the job for me. I am having a hard time getting my blower and blower motor back in. There isn't much room between it and the air conditioner.

Thanks for the part number. I'll look up some photos.

The A/C system is designed so that the heater box and the blower box go in first, then the A/C condenser slides in. This is really difficult if the two hard lines are still connected, because the evaporator only comes out about an inch. There's a hood release bracket on the right side. It obstructs the removal and re-installation of the blower box. I cut it off with a dremel tool and a cutting wheel. I guess they use that on the Right Hand Drive version of this truck, but I didn't think I'd ever miss it. ;)

Jack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:50 pm 

My heater core went out over 4 years ago and i went to the schucks/o'riely's whatever they call themselves now and got a brand new one for 65 bucks. Now, when it came in, it had "made in Mexico" right on the outside of the box and the core looked like a 5 year old soldered the tubes in the core. I thought "oh boy" and took it home and started wraping the ends/edges in foam like the one i took out. I took my time making it look as perfect as could be (about an hour) then i go to slide it back in the case and the mexican that soldered it not only put the tubes in the opposite holes, but put them 180 degrees out!!! I was so fuming mad that i couldnt get the case back together AND that the tubes wouldnt fit through the firewall!!!

Long story short, i took my leaky one to the radiator shop, he crimped and soldered up the leaky row. Sure it cost 40 bucks, but i know this one will go back in.

Now that i know up through '91 Trooper works for heater cores, i'll be keeping my eyes peeled for that and door seals.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:11 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Dr Luv 76 wrote:
Now that i know up through '91 Trooper works for heater cores, i'll be keeping my eyes peeled for that and door seals.
Based on your username, it sounds like you may be driving a 1st-gen LUV. If so, you should disregard all that. This is for 2nd-gen only, as far as I know.

Jack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:11 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Sorry for not updating this topic. The Trooper core was sold within 24 hours of listing it.

Jack