LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:47 am 

i remember finding this answer before, but cant find it now, was hopin for quick answer....

i beleive i need an 86-87 4x4 diesel trooper 5spd donor? or maybe the 81-85s work too but the tranny is weaker?

do i need to change rear end gearing to keep the 4wd functional?

thanks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:39 am 
Addicted to LUV

jerryfreak wrote:
i remember finding this answer before, but cant find it now, was hopin for quick answer....

i beleive i need an 86-87 4x4 diesel trooper 5spd donor? or maybe the 81-85s work too but the tranny is weaker?

do i need to change rear end gearing to keep the 4wd functional?

thanks

The 5-speed 4x4 was not introduced until '86, so that rules out anything earlier. The '86-'87 diesel 4x4 transmission from either a Trooper or P'up would work, although I think you'd have to relocate the t/c shifter and rear transmission mount, shorten the driveshaft, etc.

The '86-'87 gas 2.3 4x4 transmission will also work IF you have the right diesel bell housing. There's a used parts seller who told me yesterday that he has a bell housing he'll sell for $100 plus shipping. I've seen two of these 2.3 transmissions in about 10 years of parts picking. One was in a SpaceCab P'up, and the other was in a Trooper. I have NEVER found a diesel 5-speed 4x4 in a salvage yard...but If I ever find one, the motor and transmission will go home with me. ;)

I've never removed or installed the 5-speed 4x4, but I understand it's a bear to get in with the body on.

You would not need to change any gearing.

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:20 am 

update:just bought this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Space-Ca ... v4exp=true

i want to put my running C223 or a 4jb1 in here

im pretty sure i would need the 86-87 diesel bellhousing but do those engines otherwise just bolt in?

has anyone had any luck with the 4JB1 import from planetisuzoo:

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic ... &start=325

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:54 am 
Addicted to LUV

Wow, that's a long way from you!

There's a guy who is on PlanetIsuzoo.com and IsuzuPup.com who put a 4JB1 into his 4wd P'up. He added 2" of body lift to make room. It came with a transmission. The 4JB1 engines are getting hard to find.

The C223 swap is fairly straightforward, especially since you have a running C223 and probably all the glow system to make it work. But yes--you'd need a diesel bell housing. Dart Eskew told me you've contacted him about getting one, and he didn't have one for a 4wd. I told him the diesel 4wd bell should be the same as the diesel 2wd bell, from what our "experts" tell me.

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:54 pm 

JoeIsuzu wrote:
Wow, that's a long way from you!

considering it lived it entire life on fuel as far as saudi arabia, and will live the rest of its life on fuel sourced within a few hundred miles, its not all that far, relatively ;)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:21 am 

looks like those guys are having a hard time getting the 2.8L 4JB1s and are getting the 3.1L 4JG1T/4JG2T instead. jerry said that one is a little different?

"WHAT I WOULD OD ISTART LOOKING FOR A 4 JB1 TURBO ENG , THEY ARE JUST OVER 105 HP AND IF YOUR TRANS IIS IN GOOD SHAPE IT WILL BOLT RIGHT ON THE 4Y ENG, AND THE FRT ENG MOUNTS ARE THE EXACT SAME SPOT .

IT MAKE A GREAT SWAP AND IS PRETTY STRAIGHT FORWARD , THE 4JG2 135 HP 3.1 ENG WILL ALLSO BOLT UP TO THE TRANS ,BUT HOW LONG IT WOUDL LAST WITH THAT MUCH MORE POWER , ??????????????? NOT REAL SURE ABOUT THE FRT OIL PAN CLEAR ANCE ON THIS ENG , SINCE THE OIL PAN DROP IS MUCH LARGER IN THE FRT , IT MAY CLEAR WITH NO PROB, HAVE NOT SET ONE IN A FRAME YET . GOIGNT O THIS SUMMER , THAT ENG WOULD BE AWE SOME INAN EARLY TROOPER , AND PULL LIKE A FREIGHT TRAIN. . THE OEVER ALL COST WOULD BE A ABOUT 50 % HIGHER THAN TO DO THE ORIG ENG LIKE IT SHOULD BE WITH HI GRADE PARTS , . JERRY"

from what i have read the 4JG1T and 4JG2T are the same engine with direct and indirect injection, respectively. I guess the 4JG2 is more common:

http://www.isuzupup.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12086

do i even need a lift at all? in this thread (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=24179) jack says:
JoeIsuzu wrote:
If you don't want to do a body lift, the 4JB1-T (and 4JG2-T) should fit. They're closer to the weight and size of the original engine. Power is about twice that of the diesel LUVs--about 105 hp for the 4JB1-T and about 120 hp for the 4JG2-T. If you're familiar with diesels, you already know that the hp numbers don't mean as much as the torque numbers.

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:38 am 
Addicted to LUV

jerryfreak wrote:
do i even need a lift at all? in this thread (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=24179) jack says:
JoeIsuzu wrote:
If you don't want to do a body lift, the 4JB1-T (and 4JG2-T) should fit. They're closer to the weight and size of the original engine. Power is about twice that of the diesel LUVs--about 105 hp for the 4JB1-T and about 120 hp for the 4JG2-T. If you're familiar with diesels, you already know that the hp numbers don't mean as much as the torque numbers.

Jack
Context is everything! ;) That one was in reference to an S10 Blazer, which should have a little more room than a P'up. You would need a body lift, according to someone on the IsuzuPup.com site who has done that exact 4JB1-T swap. I think he added 2".

Jack