LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Having trouble starting
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:18 pm 

Ok some of you know that i pulled the motor out of my luv...i replaced the head set, oil pan gasket, and rear main seal. I got everything hooked up and put a new battery in and tried to start and it would just click. we took the starter out and found out that a wire wasn't hooked up, then we got it to turn over. so bla bla bla we can only get it to start on starting fluid. The injectors have been bled and i know that fuel is getting to them. When we start it up on starting fluid it will blow black smoke out of the exhaust so i know that it's trying to run on it's own fuel. Anyone know what my problem could be? Do not tell me to check my spark plugs. i have had a couple people at school tell me that and i wanted to smack them. They knew it was a diesel too. But i really need some help here i have no clue what it could be

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:41 pm 
Addicted to LUV

When I had my injection pump overhauled, it took me a LONG time to get it started the first time. Did you have your injection pump off the engine?

I wore my battery down and gave up the first day. I charged it overnight, and posted a question at IsuzuPup.com. I was told this was normal after a pump was removed. Seems like I ended up having someone pump the primer while I cranked, until it caught. I would never, ever use starting fluid. Ahh, I found the post...here's what I said:
JoeIsuzu wrote:
It's running now. I used the pump on the filter and opened the bleeder on the return line fitting. I got fuel after about 3 or 4 pump strokes. So I closed that, and loosened the connections at the injectors. I pumped some more, and I eventually saw a drop or two of fuel. I closed them back up, jumped the battery, and cranked. It took about 15 seconds to start hitting on one, then a little more and it cranked.

So, that's what worked for me. But this part throws me:
BeastlyLUV 82 wrote:
The injectors have been bled and i know that fuel is getting to them.

So, what happens when you crank it without starter fluid? Do you get any fuel smell out of the tailpipe? If you do, we can probably assume it's not a fuel problem.

Did you change the timing belt while it was out?

Are you able to feel any heat at a glow plug? (Don't burn yourself!)

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:47 pm 

when i crank without starting fluid, it just cranks like it's trying to start but never catches. I didn't remove the injection pump and i didn't replace the timing belt. I didn't know where the glowplugs were until i just looked in a manuel that i have, some guys at school were thinking it didn't even have them. I guess i go to school with a bunch of dumb butts cuz i just found them. I'll have to have someone go see if they smell fuel when i crank though, but i don't think it's a fuel problem. I'm thinking either timing or glowplugs but i have absolutly no clue.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:38 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Unless you removed the timing belt--if the timing was good before, it's good now.

You had to disconnect the fuel lines to pull the engine. Often, they crack at the ends, if they're original. So you may get fuel, but with some air. You may want to trim about 1/2" to 3/4" of fuel line where it connects, just in case it split.

Jack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:02 pm 

Did you adjust your valves? I think your comment on the timing could be the answer. Valve timing. This could be a problem if you adjusted your valves and didnt get something right then your valves are probably open/closed when they arent supposed to be. If you removed the head then you had to remove the rocker arm shaft maybe you didnt get a push rod in correctly and it slipped passed and you have valves not opening at all, did you check for bent push rods? Sounds to me if it ran before and you have fuel and you removed the head i would start there and at least double check. The other parts removed and reinstalled would have anything to do with engine running. Its alot easier to pull a rocker arm cover and check than it is to go pulling off injection pumps and pulling out injectors and such. Check those lines as Jack said then i would crack the lines at my injection pump and check for fuel there. Then i would crack my injection lines at the injector and check for fuel there.I would check valve timing first.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:12 pm 

We did crack the injectors and bled them and whatnot. I havn't checked those fuel lines yet though, i have it back to my house instead of the high school so it's a little easier to check it out. I'm pretty sure those push rods weren't bent, but it sounds like a logical answer to my problem...I'll have to look into it when i get off of work. Thanks for the input!