LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Bio Diesel notes
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:46 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Copied from: http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/search.php?Cat=

VegPup,the folks on the timebomb2000 board are quite interested in the process. write us up some details when you get the time. I am anxious to give it a go,esp seeing where the world oil price/supply is heading.
Also,where are you located? If this guru is sitting on that many diesels,we need to know!
C'ya...

Sorry for the delay. I've been working on some new (not really new, but new to this task) equipment for making biodiesel.

Biodiesel has been around and in use since before WW II. It was first widely used in South Africa; they had oil-producing crops, and no petroleum. Since we in the U.S. had plenty of petroleum and low fuel prices until recently, there has been little interest in biodiesel.

Interest has picked up lately because of the drop in sulfur in diesel fuel, with more sulfur to be removed soon. When the refiner removes the sulfur, other things are removed that previously provided the lubricity needed to limit wear in some types of diesel pumps. In addition, diesels are under the gun at EPA for other pollutants besides sulfur. So we're likely to see even more expensive fuel in the future.

Biodiesel has substantially higher lubricity than petrodiesel, and produces much smaller amounts of most pollutants. Sulphur emissions are almost negligible. CO is much lower. Particulate emissions are much less. Nox is about the same as for petrodiesel. In addition, since biodiesel is produced from plants, the CO2 produced by burning it actually results in a net reduction (or at worse, an even exchange) of greenhouse gases. Burning fossil fuels results in an increase in those gases in the atmosphere.

Now, for the real reason we all make it. It really can be cheaply made, if you don't count your labor as a cost. Used vegetable oil can often be gotten free at local restaurants. Sodium hydroxide (lye) is cheap. Methanol is widely available from solvent suppliers, speed shops, or racing fuel distributors for about $2 per gallon. If you can get the oil free, and methanol relatively cheap, your costs end up around 40 cents per gallon.

Equipment can be as simple as 5 gallon paint buckets, an electric drill and an old blender. Or it can be as complicated as my latest effort, with pressure vessels, high-volume pumps, vacuum distillation apparatus, etc. Making it in small quantities is fun. Making it in large quantities seems more and more like science.

Now, for how to make it. My best advice is to go to these sites. There is a lot of information available. Read it all.
http://members.tripod.com/journey_to_fo ... _link.html
http://www.veggievan.org/biodies.html

Then the forums:
http://www.egroups.com/group/Biodiesel
http://biodiesel.infopop.net/2/OpenTopic/a/cfrm

Links at all these places will take you to many others. If you can read German, there are still more sites in that language.

Have a ball. It's really fascinating.

[This message has been edited by Veggie Pup (edited 31 October 2000).]

Oh, about the local guru. The world expert on Isuzu 5-speed transmissions. The owner of many diesel trucks and troopers. I disclosed his name and phone number on the net about six months ago, and he has only recently resumed speaking to me. He intends to fix or restore all the ones he doesn't already drive. All forty or so of them. Gathered from all over the U.S. He will only occasionally sell me a part. But his advice is freely given, and much more important to me, so I don't want to offend him again. If technical advice is what you need, I'll put you in touch with him. If you want parts, I probably won't. Sorry.

The guru and I live in central Arkansas. Really.

Good deal,VP! I read up on it and I'm anxious to givi it a go. Information like that could become priceless soon. Aside from my fondness for my TDi Troop I am very into preparedness.
I drive big rigs for a living and am up on the EPA and low sulfur issue. I will be trying to educate myself further on the bio juice. I can see the possibilities for fleet use and the recycle angle makes it very attractive to the greenies.
I hear ya regarding Guru man and I agree. I'm just hoping I'll run across another TDi unit as a spare just in case. mine is at 235K miles now.

Try looking up a company called "GREENERGY" i believe they are German based, their Bio diesel product is derived from a common crop know to us as oil seed rape, farmers are hopefully to enjoy a better return on their harvest of rape as a result of it being blended with a % of petro diesel, it is not widely available yet but with the emmisions situation its only a matter of time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:13 am 
Sounds great but whats the performance like on the veggie stuff and how meny MPG are you getting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:33 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

I have yet to try it. I plan on running some threw my 2wd and do some tests.
I just thought that with diesel reaching $1.75 a gallon I would look in to other fuel types.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:54 pm 
You should think your self lucky over hear in the UK we are paying nearly £4.00 per gallon 8O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 3:50 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I heard about some kids who tested the stuff in a school bus and got 10mpg....

just hearsay though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:22 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

What does a school bus normaly get?? I bet 10mpg is outstanding for a bus?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:46 pm 
Addicted to LUV

A normal school bus would normally get between 8 and 12 mpg... so 10 would be right on the money. A big truck gets about 6 or 7mpg. I wouldn't mind checking it out one day for that purpose.

The deisel engine was originally designed to run on soybean oil so farmers could grow their own fuel. Just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:19 pm 
Hi there;
I run 100% homebrew Biodiesel in my '82 LUV 4x4 in the warm months, and 50/50 BD and #1 petro in the winter. No problems at all so far, except there is nothing left of my LUV except the immortal engine! If I can't find a body REAL soon, the whole drivetrain is going in something else.

If you want to know more about BD, check my setup at:

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_processor4.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:32 pm 
Thats me that just posted, then decided to join. looks like a good site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:52 pm 
where do you guys get your waste oil from? i hear that around here, places sell their fryer fat for big bucks after it's been used. that'd be an interesting thing to get arrested for...stealing used grease :lol:

my ideal luv setup: '79 or '80 body, 5 speed tranny, toyota axles and leaf springs front and rear, and a 2.2l diesel engine :D

maybe that'll be my project for next year

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:03 am 
I collect from several local eateries and convenience stores.

Post subject: Veggie Luv
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:38 pm 
Just purchased an 82 Luv Mikado as a bio-D project. I can't believe so few people know about this stuff....
-Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:33 pm 
The city of Saskatoon ran a project up here to determine the feasability or bio diesel, i had the link but can't find it, end up with slight power gains I remeber

Post subject: Bio-diesel performance
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:51 pm 
Just some quick info. for those with questions on Bio-diesel performance. From what I've read/studied, mileage and power are pretty much the same, however, due to the fuels higher lubricity and detergent like qualities it does initially (after a tank or 2) improve performance because the fuel actually cleans out your fuel systems. The only draw back is that you may need to replace your fuel filter after a tank or 2 because the fuel may loosen sediment thats gummed in your lines over the years. I see this as a benifit though, filters are cheap and I prefer a cleaner system.
Also engine ware is greatly reduced because of the fuels increased lubricity.
All in all, compareble performance, better reliability, and the ability to make your own fuel easily and much cheaper makes it a no brainer. Throw in the fact that the fuel and exhaust are non-toxic, smells like fish and chips, and isn't going to be choking are kids and grand kids makes it essential.
Bio-diesel is also starting to be sold commercially by small business, a quick inter-net search will probly find a supplier near you.