LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:38 pm 

well, my mechanic used the original intake manifold from the 82 since the 84 had EGR and we didnt have all the parts for it. said we were missing a vacuum valve and some other parts and reasoned that no egr would be a simpler system with more power anyway

worth noting:
when i had the draft tube plugged, that engine was pressurized after running for 10 minutes. like hissing and had pushed oil up the dipstick and out of every other orifice it could find. My mechanic suggested that this could be indicative of excessive blowby in the engine. i will say it was a tight seal i had on the vent

given this situation, would putting an valve-cover style oil breather on there at least simulate the old drip draft tube and prevent oil all over my engine compartment? or should i just anticipate a lot of oil and run it to the ground like the old system?

one other observation: seems louder than the old engine. may just be me as i was driving a 2011 toyota rental car for the last two weeks. my mechanic said that he also noted:

-timing belt area was rusty and wet
-there were broken pieces of oil tube (to the heads i believe), found in the engine, see pic:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/85 ... 19004.jpg/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:13 pm 
Addicted to LUV

jerryfreak wrote:
well, my mechanic used the original intake manifold from the 82 since the 84 had EGR and we didnt have all the parts for it. said we were missing a vacuum valve and some other parts and reasoned that no egr would be a simpler system with more power anyway
He should not have done that. Your mechanic maybe great, and honest, and trustworthy and all that. But he is apparently not familiar enough with this vehicle.
jerryfreak wrote:
worth noting:
when i had the draft tube plugged, that engine was pressurized after running for 10 minutes. like hissing and had pushed oil up the dipstick and out of every other orifice it could find. My mechanic suggested that this could be indicative of excessive blowby in the engine. i will say it was a tight seal i had on the vent
Again, your mechanic does not know enough about this engine. That is absolutely wrong. Even if you had ZERO blowby, your vacuum pump would pressurize the crankcase somewhat.
jerryfreak wrote:
given this situation, would putting an valve-cover style oil breather on there at least simulate the old drip draft tube and prevent oil all over my engine compartment? or should i just anticipate a lot of oil and run it to the ground like the old system?
Given this situation, I would replace the mechanic. You need to use the original parts from the '84. I have serious doubts that it has an EGR, based on the other stuff he said. Is this engine from a California-spec vehicle? If not, it has no EGR system.

I have an '86 engine on a skid in my garage. It's practically identical to the '84. I'll snap a photo or two of the top end, so you can see what parts you're missing.

Jack

Last edited by JoeIsuzu on Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:53 pm 
Addicted to LUV

This is a view from the rear of the engine. Do you still have this assembly, and the hose that comes out the front of it, and the steel line that goes to the intake manifold?
Attachment:
IMG00170-20111219-1931.jpg
IMG00170-20111219-1931.jpg [ 206.63 KiB | Viewed 6264 times ]

Did your mechanic use the '82 exhaust manifold, or the '84?

Jack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:58 pm 

JoeIsuzu wrote:
Did your mechanic use the '82 exhaust manifold, or the '84?

Jack

82. the 84 had EGR

i got the engine from socal, so id say theres a fair chance it was a california engine originally

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:29 pm 
Addicted to LUV

jerryfreak wrote:
82. the 84 had EGR

i got the engine from socal, so id say theres a fair chance it was a california engine originally

If we can figure out what's missing, you can probably get it from some sources on the IsuzuPup.com site.

Jack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:17 am 

JoeIsuzu wrote:
jerryfreak wrote:
82. the 84 had EGR

If we can figure out what's missing, you can probably get it from some sources on the IsuzuPup.com site.

Jack

thanks for all teh help, jack

can you sell me on the advantages of installing this intake/exhaust manifold, egr, and oil vent system?
better efficiency?
better mileage?
better long term engine durability?
less noise?

its my daily driver, i dont have time to do this work myself, and between the labor and rental cars, etc, it costs me $100s every day its out of commission. Just want to make sure i know what im getting into here

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:45 am 
Addicted to LUV

jerryfreak wrote:
JoeIsuzu wrote:
jerryfreak wrote:
82. the 84 had EGR

Jack

thanks for all teh help, jack

can you sell me on the advantages of installing this intake/exhaust manifold, egr, and oil vent system?
better efficiency?
better mileage?
better long term engine durability?
less noise?

its my daily driver, i dont have time to do this work myself, and between the labor and rental cars, etc, it costs me $100s every day its out of commission. Just want to make sure i know what im getting into here
Advantages? It WORKS.

You need the oil to go back to the pan, not into the engine or on the ground. It does that.
You need the remaining fumes to go somewhere else. It does that.

I'm not sure there's a home-made solution that does both, that will be faster or easier than returning it to factory setup (possibly minus EGR stuff).

I didn't touch the noise questions yet because the oil separation/recovery seems to be the most important thing. But the engine itself should not be any louder than the old one. Without knowing what's left on your engine, it's hard to say what's causing the excessive noise. Which exhaust manifold are you using? They are different. The '84 has a larger outlet. I'm not sure if it will bolt right up to the old downpipe flange. Is it possible your mechanic used the wrong "donut" washer when putting it together? Have you ruled out the possibility of an exhaust leak?

Another source of noise is the intake system. If you don't have the full factory intake including the baffle, it will be louder. Do you have the factory setup, including the rectangular box that is in front of the air cleaner?

Jack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:59 pm 

JoeIsuzu wrote:

I didn't touch the noise questions yet because the oil separation/recovery seems to be the most important thing. But the engine itself should not be any louder than the old one. Without knowing what's left on your engine, it's hard to say what's causing the excessive noise. Which exhaust manifold are you using? They are different. The '84 has a larger outlet. I'm not sure if it will bolt right up to the old downpipe flange. Is it possible your mechanic used the wrong "donut" washer when putting it together? Have you ruled out the possibility of an exhaust leak?

Another source of noise is the intake system. If you don't have the full factory intake including the baffle, it will be louder. Do you have the factory setup, including the rectangular box that is in front of the air cleaner?

Jack

he used the old exhaust manifold so the connection to the exhaust shoudl be sound
ill try to get into town and take some pics of the intake

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:54 pm 
da LUV masta

stock theres a sound muting box on the intake, it cuts the under hood sound by near 30/40% 8O 8O

i have a photo of a orignal CA EGR set up ill look for.

86 L\B 4X4 gas 5 speed 2.3
the twins, 81 pup and 81 LUV both are diesel 2.2

The Energizer Bunny is trying to keep up, and is starting to gasp for air!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:16 am 
da LUV masta

this is a 100% stock CA emissons diesel pup

Attachments:
!Bi0yhrwB2k~$(KGrHqQH-DwEs-pIEZygBLQ5fzklCQ~~_12.jpg
!Bi0yhrwB2k~$(KGrHqQH-DwEs-pIEZygBLQ5fzklCQ~~_12.jpg [ 37.74 KiB | Viewed 6219 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:51 am 

wow - i need that sound muting box! where can i get that??? my 82 intake is completely different. I am pointing both my mechanic and the person i bought the engine from to this thread. The truck is currently at my mechanics, and i will be out of town for the next few days. if you guys think we have enough parts to get the original 84 intake and exh. manifolds back on there (or if the extra ports can be temporarily plugged while we source them) - please advise. I only have a limited window for him to work on it -its my daily driver and i need it back asap!. thanks everybody.

The 84 engine as installed (with 82 intake and exhaust), all these are bigger if you click on them:

Attachments:
as-installed3.jpg
as-installed3.jpg [ 205.7 KiB | Viewed 6219 times ]
as-installed2.jpg
as-installed2.jpg [ 177.75 KiB | Viewed 6219 times ]
as-installed1.jpg
as-installed1.jpg [ 292.49 KiB | Viewed 6219 times ]

Last edited by jerryfreak on Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:55 am 

the intake that came on the 84:

Attachments:
84-intake3.jpg
84-intake3.jpg [ 405.99 KiB | Viewed 6219 times ]
84-intake2.jpg
84-intake2.jpg [ 433.13 KiB | Viewed 6219 times ]
84-intake1.jpg
84-intake1.jpg [ 479.01 KiB | Viewed 6219 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:56 am 

the exhaust manifold that came on the 84:

Attachments:
84-exh-man1.jpg
84-exh-man1.jpg [ 457.78 KiB | Viewed 6219 times ]
84-exh-man2.jpg
84-exh-man2.jpg [ 449.9 KiB | Viewed 6219 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:01 am 

and heres whats left of the original engine (PS - aside from what we need to get this pup running, if anybody needs anything! i think it threw a rod and/or a piston but should still have some good parts):

Attachments:
old82engine3.jpg
old82engine3.jpg [ 306.9 KiB | Viewed 6219 times ]
old82engine4.jpg
old82engine4.jpg [ 394.89 KiB | Viewed 6219 times ]
old82engine5.jpg
old82engine5.jpg [ 367.64 KiB | Viewed 6219 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:01 am 

more

Attachments:
old82engine1.jpg
old82engine1.jpg [ 358.37 KiB | Viewed 6219 times ]
old82engine2.jpg
old82engine2.jpg [ 257.12 KiB | Viewed 6219 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:05 am 
da LUV masta

the box to the right of the photo is the muting box
does it have a crack or a hole in it?

Attachments:
as-installed3.jpg
as-installed3.jpg [ 35.56 KiB | Viewed 6219 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:00 am 

ill call my mechanic in the morning and ask him to look at that. is the box lined with fiberglass or anything?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:11 am 
Addicted to LUV

Now I understand. This IS a California-spec vehicle. I can understand why the mechanic chose to put the '82 parts on it. If you don't have it, you need the oil separator and you probably need to use the intake from the '84 engine or get one from an '84-'86 Federal-spec engine.

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:07 pm 

so the oil separator is that box on the rear of the engine behind/above the valve cover that was pictured earlier in the thread? Sorry im on my phone hard to navigate thread

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:56 pm 
Addicted to LUV

jerryfreak wrote:
so the oil separator is that box on the rear of the engine behind/above the valve cover that was pictured earlier in the thread? Sorry im on my phone hard to navigate thread

Correct! I'm pretty certain the '84 engine should have had one, although I'm really not familiar with the California-spec engine. David may be able to confirm this.

Jack