LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 82 chevy luv diesel
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:07 pm 

At first we thought i just had a leaking injector but we got looking at it and decided to check for a cracked head. today we finished getting all the bolts and whatnot off and tried to get the head off and it wouldn't come. We even had the cherry picker thing on it and it wouldn't budge. is there a secret to this? i had a bunch of people helping and looking for hiding bolts and we couldn't find anything! it's getting me frustrated so any info anyone has is great!

Post subject: Re: 82 chevy luv diesel
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:38 am 
Addicted to LUV

I can't answer about head removal, but can we back up? What symptoms are you having that would lead you to remove the head?

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:45 pm 

we thought i had a leaking injector, the guy i bought it from said that it was leaking. and i got looking at it and it wasn't. it doesn't have very much power and we figured that was why. the guy that owned the truck before the guy i bought it from was running gas in it and it's a diesel, and when we popped the top off we could see antifreeze in by the rocker arms (i think thats what they're called) so my autobody teacher told me to just take the head off and make sure it's not cracked.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:29 pm 
Addicted to LUV

BeastlyLUV 82 wrote:
we thought i had a leaking injector, the guy i bought it from said that it was leaking. and i got looking at it and it wasn't. it doesn't have very much power and we figured that was why. the guy that owned the truck before the guy i bought it from was running gas in it and it's a diesel...
That is absolutely stunningly amazingly STUPID.
BeastlyLUV 82 wrote:
...and when we popped the top off we could see antifreeze in by the rocker arms (i think thats what they're called) so my autobody teacher told me to just take the head off and make sure it's not cracked.

Normally, I'd tell people it's probably something simple that's wrong. But in your case, it really could be a cracked head, or worse.

I've never removed a head. If nobody here has the answer, try your question at IsuzuPup.com.

Jack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:56 am 

Are you saying im stupid? or something else? anyways, i got the head off and took it to a machine shop and it's not cracked. Do you think it could be something else? you said "or worse"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:12 am 
Addicted to LUV

BeastlyLUV 82 wrote:
Are you saying im stupid? or something else?
That comment was about the previous owner...running a diesel on gasoline. I can see doing it once by accident, but your post sounded like he did it regularly.
BeastlyLUV 82 wrote:
...anyways, i got the head off and took it to a machine shop and it's not cracked. Do you think it could be something else? you said "or worse"

How do the pistons look on top? Valves? You saw antifreeze by the rockers. Maybe it just needed a head gasket?

Jack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:46 am 

everything looked fine to me, but i do have a new head set coming.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:16 am 

JoeIsuzu wrote:
Hey, Beastly...did you get that head set installed? Let's go back to YOUR topic and follow up on that issue. I'd like to know how it all came out.

Jack

I don't have the head set on yet, i had to remove the engine because of a rear main leak, i got the seal on so hopefully i will have the motor back in this week. We did take the head to a machine shop and it didn't turn out to be cracked. I only get about and hour and a half each day to work on it so progress is kinda slow. I did get some body parts picked up, i just need to straighten those out and stick them on. I'm just tryin to figure out what is wrong with it, i don't know too much about cars and trucks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:26 am 
Addicted to LUV

BeastlyLUV 82 wrote:
JoeIsuzu wrote:
Hey, Beastly...did you get that head set installed? Let's go back to YOUR topic and follow up on that issue. I'd like to know how it all came out.

Jack

I don't have the head set on yet, i had to remove the engine because of a rear main leak, i got the seal on so hopefully i will have the motor back in this week. We did take the head to a machine shop and it didn't turn out to be cracked. I only get about and hour and a half each day to work on it so progress is kinda slow. I did get some body parts picked up, i just need to straighten those out and stick them on. I'm just tryin to figure out what is wrong with it, i don't know too much about cars and trucks.

Did the rear main seal fit flush with the block? They are easy to damage because the later version of the seal is thicker. They come with a spacer. If the seal is thicker than the original, you're supposed to use the spacer.

I think the rear seal can be replaced without removing the engine, if you have room to get underneath it. Mine was a bear to get back in with the transmission attached.
Attachment:
engine-transmission-install.jpg
engine-transmission-install.jpg [ 315.85 KiB | Viewed 8548 times ]

Jack

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:37 pm 

JoeIsuzu wrote:
Did the rear main seal fit flush with the block? They are easy to damage because the later version of the seal is thicker. They come with a spacer. If the seal is thicker than the original, you're supposed to use the spacer.

I think the rear seal can be replaced without removing the engine, if you have room to get underneath it. Mine was a bear to get back in with the transmission attached.
Attachment:
engine-transmission-install.jpg

Jack

The seal was really loose, my seal didn't come with a spacer is that going to be a problem? I could've just gotten to the rear main just by dropping the tranny but the truck is so low to the ground its hard to get under it, and its even on jack stands. The tranny's not attached to the engine though, so hopefully it won't be too bad. I'm waiting on an oil pan gasket before i can get it put back in. I'm just hoping i can get this all put back together again!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:36 pm 
Addicted to LUV

BeastlyLUV 82 wrote:
The seal was really loose, my seal didn't come with a spacer is that going to be a problem?

I don't know. If it fit flush without bottoming out, you shouldn't need the spacer. Mine barely fit flush even with the spacer. Some owners have reported that they ruined their new seals trying to tap them in all the way, because they bottomed out against the block before they were flush.

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:37 pm 

i will have to go take a look at it then i guess, i don't wanna put this all back together and realize that i did it all wrong! haha

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:42 am 

I took a look at it yesterday and the seal did have a spacer on it, so it should be good to go, im just waiting on an oil pan gasket then i can put it back in after i paint it.