LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:36 pm 

Hey everybody. I recently inherited this awesome truck from my uncle, but there's definitely a problem and I'd like to run it by this forum before I blindly take it to a shop. I don't know a whole lot about cars, especially diesels but I'm wanting to learn so please bear with me. This truck has been sitting for a couple years with a half and half mixture of diesel and biodiesel. When I went to transport it to my house, it started up alright but here are the symptoms:
-sounds to be idling high
-black smoke at first start up and then white
-truck accelerated on its own up to about 30 mph
-pressing the gas pedal does nothing
I'm guessing it has something to do with the fuel being poor quality, maybe clogged up the filter and pump? I'm thinking it will need the gas tank drained, and the fuel system checked out? Though I don't know why the gas pedal would be unresponsive. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:37 am 
Addicted to LUV

My guess is that the injection pump is gummed up from sitting so long. Definitely change the fuel filter, and I'd drain the tank, as you suggested. A clogged fuel filter can definitely give you the "no throttle response" problem. You may be looking at an injection pump overhaul. If you want to do this, there's a guy at IsuzuPup.com who works at a shop that gives us a discount. I had mine overhauled due to leaks, and they do fantastic work.

Is this true biodiesel, or is it Waste Vegetable Oil? Some people confuse the two.

I would change the timing belt, if you don't know when it was last changed.

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:32 pm 

Sweet, thanks for the info. I want to try to change the fuel filter to see if anything improves.
Knowing my uncle I'd guess he put true biodiesel in it. I'll ask him about that and the timing belt this weekend, and I'll post updates.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:17 pm 

Hello again. We changed the fuel filter, it was fairly full of a black tar like substance... and we changed out the rubber fuel hoses that were all hardened. Now when I start it, it runs for about 1-4 seconds then dies. Any thoughts on that?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:38 pm 
Addicted to LUV

nairb2 wrote:
Hello again. We changed the fuel filter, it was fairly full of a black tar like substance... and we changed out the rubber fuel hoses that were all hardened. Now when I start it, it runs for about 1-4 seconds then dies. Any thoughts on that?

Sounds like it's still not getting fuel, and usually that's because it's getting air from somewhere. Have you checked the condition of the fuel in the tank? Did you notice that there are rubber lines between the cab and the tank?

Jack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:07 am 

hi i manufacture biodiesel commercially

4 year old biodiesel is no good! id drain the syatem and flush it with pure biodiesel (from a reputable supplier of ASTM spec fuel), and change the filter again after a few tanks

my 82 was a serious black smoker when i got it, i had the injection pump rebuilt, now it runs like a top. i use 20-50% bio in the winter, and 100% bio for 6-8 months a year

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:22 pm 

I'm in the same boat as you, i just picked up an 82 diesel. It ran when i got it but only got up to 30 mph and blew white smoke. I'm not sure whats wrong with it. Currently i have the motor pulled because i have a rear main leak. The guy that had it before the guy i got it from ran reg gas through it. Dumb guy. Then the guy i got it from put about 10 gallons of diesel in it with 2 bottles of additive that each treat 120 gallons. He's not too bright either. I'd like to know what your find out about yours so i can check mine out too. I don't know much about cars or trucks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:45 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Looks like the original poster ("nairb2") has forgotten about this topic, because he's had replies and has not acknowledged them or answered the questions he's been asked. Hope he comes back.

Hey, Beastly...did you get that head set installed? Let's go back to YOUR topic and follow up on that issue. I'd like to know how it all came out.

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:38 pm 

Hey guys, sorry I haven't replied in a while. I got caught up in school and work, so I haven't had much time to do anything with my truck. I'm looking forward to getting back to it when the semester's over.

JoeIsuzu wrote:
nairb2 wrote:

Sounds like it's still not getting fuel, and usually that's because it's getting air from somewhere. Have you checked the condition of the fuel in the tank? Did you notice that there are rubber lines between the cab and the tank?

Jack

I'll look for those rubber lines between the cab and the tank. I'm thinking there's not a good seal with the new rubber hoses we put on, because I'm sure I primed the filter enough but when I checked it a couple days ago it seemed pretty much empty. Or maybe the primer itself is bad because it should only take about 30-40 pumps right? I pumped it about a hundred times...
If I were to drain the tank myself, would it be alright to contain it in a five gallon bucket or milk jugs then take it to the hazardous waste place?

jerryfreak wrote:
hi i manufacture biodiesel commercially

4 year old biodiesel is no good! id drain the syatem and flush it with pure biodiesel (from a reputable supplier of ASTM spec fuel), and change the filter again after a few tanks

my 82 was a serious black smoker when i got it, i had the injection pump rebuilt, now it runs like a top. i use 20-50% bio in the winter, and 100% bio for 6-8 months a year

Biodiesel is more of solvent than regular diesel right? The idea being that'll clean out the tank and fuel system? Also, can you tell me how I would find "a reputable supplier of ASTM spec fuel" in my area?

And good luck to you BeastlyLUV 82, I'll let you know if I make any progress. Thanks for the input guys, it's much appreciated. I'll be checking back more often now

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:31 pm 
Addicted to LUV

It is possible for the check valve(s) to get deformed in the primer pump. I've never had that problem, but others have. If that happens, the pump is practically useless. The pump is simply a plunger that operates a diaphragm in between two check valves. If one check valve goes bad, it barely pumps. If two go bad, fuel can drain backward, if there's an air leak upstream. I don't recall ever pumping more than 20 times for a fuel filter change. Now, after I replaced my injection pump. it took forever and a day (the primer pump was also removed, so fuel had drained completely back to the tank).

Diesel is not nearly as dangerous as gasoline. I wouldn't store it in milk jugs, but draining it into a 5-gallon bucket and taking it to the waste station should be fine. Don't be surprised at how MUCH fuel you have in the tank. I ran mine waaay below the normal "E" mark, and still drained 5 gallons out. I didn't notice if yours is long or short bed. The long bed tanks are are longer, so they'll have more residual fuel.

Since it runs for a few seconds, I'm thinking the primary problem is not the primer pump. Once it gets going, it should keep running unless it's pulling air in from somewhere.

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:29 pm 

Alright I'll look for air leaks and start on draining the tank. Thanks Jack.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:10 am 

nairb2 wrote:
Also, can you tell me how I would find "a reputable supplier of ASTM spec fuel" in my area?

nearbio.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:40 am 

So I started to drain the fuel out of the tank. It's going slowly because it's pretty thick. After about three gallons the flow slowed almost to a stop, so I pulled the tube out and it had about 3 inches of sludge in it. This got me to thinking that the truck can't pull any fuel because the fuel lines from the tank to the filter are clogged the same way. That would explain why priming the filter did little to nothing. That also explains why it ran up to 30 mph at first but then slowly died as it got clogged with more sludge. Thoughts? Is there some sort of chemical that I can pour in the tank to dissolve this stuff? I found these online: http://www.dieselcraft.com/FuelQualityDispersant.php and CRC Industries Diesel Bio-Con Sludge Sediment Remover.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:00 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I think you're onto something. Have you thought of blowing air back to the tank via the fuel line and the overflow line? You may burst a soft line doing this, but if so--it needed replacing anyway.

Jack

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:35 pm 

Sorry for the delay. No I haven't done that yet. I'd have time to get to it tomorrow but it might rain.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:22 pm 

Hello again. I apologize for the drop in communication. Is it alright to pick up this thread even though it's been quiet for almost a year?

I had to put this project on the back burner. Though I have made some progress:

I cleaned a large amount of sludge from the tank, and the line between the tank and the filter. The fuel filter housing had some sludge making the check valves stick open, I cleaned that. I got the system all primed and the truck starts right up now. BUT... it's running really high and there's no throttle response. I've done some googling about injector pumps and am worried that sludge may be causing some springs or levers to stick open. Any thoughts on that?

I hope to get some pictures of the sludge and a video of the truck running up somewhere soon so you can see what I'm dealing with.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:55 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I'd run a can of SeaFoam through it, directly from the can.
See THIS POST.
Be sure to clean the outside of the lines, so dirt won't contaminate the pump. I had to punch a hole in the top of the SeaFoam can for the fuel return line. Otherwise, a lot of SeaFoam goes back to the fuel tank instead of getting burned.

Jack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:13 pm 

Awesome, I will give that a shot. In the meantime here's a link to the video I put on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d59BzluXKHM&feature=player_embedded

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:22 pm 
Addicted to LUV

nairb2 wrote:
Awesome, I will give that a shot. In the meantime here's a link to the video I put on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d59BzluXKHM&feature=player_embedded

That's helpful, because I can clearly see the throttle moving and there's no response. Something's wrong inside the pump. It might be gummed up, or something could be broken. If the SeaFoam doesn't make a difference, I'd say the pump needs to go to an injection shop. If you want a recommendation, I can give you a GREAT shop that knows these pumps inside out. In fact, the details are HERE. They did a great job on my pump.

If you need removal instructions, let me know.

Jack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:42 pm 

Ok, thanks for the info. Just to clarify, do I'll be running the seafoam directly to the ip not through the filter first right?