LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:53 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

I've been told I HAVE to use an additive with every tankful. I've also been told nothing needs to be added to the fuel. Who's right?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:05 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Tom,

You have a choice? That's all I can find around here.

My pump started leaking around the throttle shaft a few years ago. Coincidentally, it wasn't long after ULSD became the norm. When filling up, I'd hear the same story from other diesel drivers (Powerstrokes and others, not just Isuzus). The consensus is that it's bad for the old seals.

I finally got tired of it, and had my pump overhauled by one of the IsuzuPup.com forum members who works part-time at a diesel injection shop. Good thing, too. The input shaft bushing was worn out of their tolerances, so they had a new one machined for me. The new seals are supposed to be fine with ULSD.

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:24 am 
Australian LUV Guru

I mix a little 2stroke oil in with every tankfull, still going strong after 30 years. :ebiggrin

LUVTRKR wrote:
It does have a license plate so technically it is a street truck, that sets off car alarms and makes kids cry. lol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:53 am 
Addicted to LUV

I've already had to replace the pump on my '97 F250 Powerstroke. I think it was around 80,000 miles. I run Lucas fuel supplement now days. About every 2 or 3 tanks I add it to one of them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:40 am 

Uh oh..
How much 2 cycle in the 13 gal tANK?
Ive got ,maybe 155K and so far no issues. Guess I should start using it?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:40 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

I've decided to err on the side of caution. I now dump some 2-stroke oil in with each tankfull of diesel. Haven't noticed anything happening differently. Hope it stays that way...

Tom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:28 am 
Australian LUV Guru

OzarkDaredevil wrote:
I've decided to err on the side of caution. I now dump some 2-stroke oil in with each tankfull of diesel. Haven't noticed anything happening differently. Hope it stays that way...

Tom

I have read people can hear the difference, (less rattle) after adding the additive while engine was running.

LUVTRKR wrote:
It does have a license plate so technically it is a street truck, that sets off car alarms and makes kids cry. lol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:42 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

OzLuvTrucker wrote:
OzarkDaredevil wrote:

Tom

I have read people can hear the difference, (less rattle) after adding the additive while engine was running.

Now that you mention it, she does seem to be idling a smidge more politely. Hmmm...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:25 am 

When I had my injectors re-built (many years back) I was advised to use Stanadyne Performance Formula Junior at each fill up. A 16 oz bottle treats 125 gallons of diesel. Label says formulated for Extra Low Sulfur Diesel.

I purchased at amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Performance-Formu ... 452&sr=8-1

Just my thoughts..........

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:10 am 

biodiesel is the best additive for ULSD formulations after 2007. and its cost competitive with diesel, unlike most additives. keeps your seals from shrinking and provides the missing lubricity

conventional wisdom for modern vehicles is that they should ideally have a MINIMUM of 5% bio in the blend (some people say 20%)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:43 pm 

jerryfreak wrote:
biodiesel is the best additive for ULSD formulations after 2007. and its cost competitive with diesel, unlike most additives. keeps your seals from shrinking and provides the missing lubricity

conventional wisdom for modern vehicles is that they should ideally have a MINIMUM of 5% bio in the blend (some people say 20%)

Not entirely irrelevant, but my "additive" of choice is used transmission fluid/motor oil. I filter out as much of the crud as I possibly can, then pour it into 4 or 5 qt containers until i have a bunch of the jugs lined up across the bulkhead in the bed of the truck. Generally speaking I put 1 quart in per tank of diesel. Putting it in first, then filling up with the diesel mixes it nicely. Smoother operation, pump behaves nicely and on a 6.2 diesel in my old 'burb it even helped a seal quit leaking. *shrugs*

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:29 pm 
Addicted to LUV

jerryfreak wrote:

I have no opinion on ULSD vs LSD, but just chiming in to say that many truck stops already blend their diesel with 5% bio.