LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Volkswagen TDI Setup
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:40 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

So I'm thinking about going with a TDI mated to a Toyota trans for my 4x4 LUV. Anybody think this is a good idea or should I look for something else? I can get a low mileage (less than 75k miles) TDI for about $1k that includes wiring harness, turbo, all the bolt on stuff etc. etc. I haven't looked into a Toyota trans yet but it has to be a 22R trans. The reason I was looking at the TDI is because they are low weight have good stock power and have numerous performance upgrades available and the best part yet they can get up to 60 mpg in a car that weighs about 400 hundred pounds more than the LUV. They get to be a little expensive to upgrade but that's any diesel for ya. I could also go with a suzuki sidekick or a tracker tranny but I figured Toyota would be the best. I will probably upgrade to some Toyota axles as well. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Volkswagen TDI Setup
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:46 am 
Addicted to LUV

yarpas wrote:
So I'm thinking about going with a TDI mated to a Toyota trans for my 4x4 LUV. Anybody think this is a good idea or should I look for something else? I can get a low mileage (less than 75k miles) TDI for about $1k that includes wiring harness, turbo, all the bolt on stuff etc. etc. I haven't looked into a Toyota trans yet but it has to be a 22R trans. The reason I was looking at the TDI is because they are low weight have good stock power and have numerous performance upgrades available and the best part yet they can get up to 60 mpg in a car that weighs about 400 hundred pounds more than the LUV. They get to be a little expensive to upgrade but that's any diesel for ya. I could also go with a suzuki sidekick or a tracker tranny but I figured Toyota would be the best. I will probably upgrade to some Toyota axles as well. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

if you have the means to get it done then do it. the tdi v-dubs have a lot of aftermarket support in terms of performance, and the engines are made very well (VW owns bugatti so they must know something)
im not sure what it would take to adapt a 22r trans but it sounds like it would be a great combo for wheeling. definately something different! toyota axles have a LOT more options for diff gearing and are the same width as the luvs

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:33 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Acme Adapters has an adapter that mates the VW TDI to a Toyota 22R transmission. They probably have some "how-to" info, too.

Jack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:30 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Yea that's the website I was going to buy the adapter from. I figured Toyota would be better than Suzuki imo.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:05 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Good Swap. You need the wiring and ECU. Also need to remove some of the wiring from the harness. 95-97 work best. They do not need as much work. Newer ones need the key setup etc, because of the Alarm setup. It can and is done. Some people have used a hybrid pump that uses some of the Bosh pump and the Cumings Pump but the people that makes those charge $$$ for the pumps. HP is supposed to equal the TDI setup or better.

I owned a 97 Passat TDi car and it ran good. Plenty of HP and I could get 48 mpg if I tried, 45 with normal. I would flat tow my 85 Scirocco with it when I autocrossed. Do not let the rated HP effect you to not do it.

CHANGE the timing belt!!!! Very important... I did not and it bent most of the valves!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:54 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Post lots of pics if you do it. I like this idea. I'm a diesel guy myself.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:17 am 

PapaG wrote:
Good Swap. You need the wiring and ECU. Also need to remove some of the wiring from the harness. 95-97 work best.

which models specifically? AHU? 1Z?

reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Vo ... el_engines