LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:24 am 

So, I've got a problem with my glow plugs. Well, I should say I've had a problem with my glow plugs. When I first bought my LUV 2 years ago, I was having issues with the glow plugs and burnt threw about 3 sets of them in 2 weeks. I was having a hell of a time troubleshooting the original system, so I opted to put them on a manual switch. I give them 12v for a few seconds and then am off driving down the road. Fastforward to now, I've burned out another set of glow plugs. I am tired of paying for them and just want to fix it once and for all. So I started delving into my original system.

From playing around with a volt meter I can verify that the factory system seems to work. It gives out 12v of juice for a couple seconds and then goes down to stay between 5 - 6v. I have to say it seems like it works, because it does not work at all when actually hooked up to the glow plugs. I am getting these voltage readings from the bar with a bend in it that the wires bolt onto. When I attach this bar to the glow plugs....nothing happens. It does not send any voltage at all through the system. Strange, huh? It's not grounding out any where as far as I can tell. Could the problem be that the original bar that connects the glow plugs is gone and they are now connected by wires and ring terminals? Would this cause the system not to function at all? Got any ideas of how to test the individual parts? Any help would be appreciated.

---Adam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:48 am 
Addicted to LUV

There's SO much I could say, but so little time. :lol:

First, you're confirming what a lot of us have suspected: the factory system (when working) is far better than a pushbutton system.

Sometimes, it's the simplest of problems. Since you're getting current at the bar, we can eliminate one of the more common problems: bad electrical connection at the fusible link going to the #1 glow relay.

That bar (or part of it) is a sensing resistor. As the plugs heat, their resistance increases (I believe). That signals your QOS controller (on the driver's kick panel in the cab) to cut them off. There is one wire connector between the engine and the firewall that this circuit goes through. I'd track that down, disconnect it, clean the terminals, plug it back up, and try again. Ditto for the other connections to the bar and to the block. On the other hand, there may be a bare wire that's shorting it out somewhere. Check for insulation that has rubbed away. I know of someone who had that problem. Since they're usually greasy, it's hard to spot.

Edit: I didn't read carefully enough. I just noticed this:
INeedLUV wrote:
Could the problem be that the original bar that connects the glow plugs is gone and they are now connected by wires and ring terminals? Would this cause the system not to function at all?
Most definitely. Someone at IsuzuPup.com should be able to help you with this part, and others that you're missing.

Hope that helps.

Jack