It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Turbo CONVERSION
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:16 am 

82 luv gutless 58hp stock

on my agenda

stock air box trash swap out w 4" cold air intake w filter 30$ on ebay

2.5" exhaust is optimal vs the 1 5/8" stock

fabricate or find headers and turbo(5 to 15 psi), timer and wastegate, if needed

or get a 2.3 out of a 85 montero turbo diesel ?? any advice anyone or things i must look out for?????

Post subject: Re: Turbo CONVERSION
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:03 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

my frend did this one.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18535

4.3l V6. 5 speed MT 2.55 in the back.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:01 pm 
Addicted to LUV

thedjdutch wrote:
82 luv gutless 58hp stock

Watch your mouth, bud. Don't call it "gutless"! Mine is a BEAST. ;) But seriously, maybe yours has something wrong with it. I know everybody wants a turbo, but it just doesn't make sense to add a turbo to an engine that has issues. Just how gutless is it?
thedjdutch wrote:
on my agenda

stock air box trash swap out w 4" cold air intake w filter 30$ on ebay

This swap seems to follow the "conventional wisdom", and it's probably not going to hurt anything except the sound level. But the original intake "trash" is not all that restrictive. And I doubt you will drop your intake air temp by even 5°. Have you seen any cold, hard facts that indicate this mod will actually increase performance? The stock assembly does a good job keeping H2O out, and that is very important with an almost 20:1 compression ratio.
thedjdutch wrote:
2.5" exhaust is optimal vs the 1 5/8" stock
Again, any data to show what's optimum? I think you already know that even if you go to 2.5 pipe, the manifold outlet will be a choke point unless you fabricate a new one (as you mentioned).

thedjdutch wrote:
fabricate or find headers and turbo(5 to 15 psi), timer and wastegate, if needed

or get a 2.3 out of a 85 montero turbo diesel ?? any advice anyone or things i must look out for?????

Isuzu used the 4wd oil pump in all factory turbo engines, for more reliable lubrication.

If you want the most out of your turbo, you need a way to add more fuel. The factory turbo had an injection pump with boost compensation, to do just that.

Finally, after Isuzu started selling the TD in '86, they had to rebuild or replace a lot of them due to connecting rod failure. They produced an upgraded rod (now known as "Gen 2" rods) for production line and retrofit use. THEN, they produced ANOTHER upgraded rod (now known as "Gen 3" rods) for retrofit use (it was too late for production line use, they were no longer selling them). Most conrod failures were in Troopers with 4.56 gearing. But it illustrates that the rods were the weak point in this engine. Unfortunately, those Gen 3 rods are pretty much impossible to find now.

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:19 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Hey Joe, have you ever been able to find out more about the guy in Canada that uses these engines in his mini tractors for pulling contests! A couple of years ago someone posted that he was getting close to 350 horses out of these engines!! Supposed the answer given was "More Air!!
Thx dp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:15 am 
Addicted to LUV

scjconv wrote:
Hey Joe, have you ever been able to find out more about the guy in Canada that uses these engines in his mini tractors for pulling contests! A couple of years ago someone posted that he was getting close to 350 horses out of these engines!! Supposed the answer given was "More Air!!
Thx dp

I have not tried to find out more about him. But there's a member at IsuzuPup.com who is really into excessive boost--at least I think it's excessive. He runs 20#.

Personally, I like to see these engines last and last. I think a lot of people get one that's REALLY slow, and they assume that's normal for this engine because they never drove one that was brand new. Mine will go as fast as I want to go. The speedometer only goes to 85, but it will easily bury the needle--and then some. Mine is not modified at all, except that I removed the Cold Start Device (CSD), which was causing poor performance.

Jack