LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: diesel swap
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:43 pm 
Addicted to LUV

The 4btswaps.com site is a good one that is a offshoot of the yahoo group. Which still exists but does not get much use, but some. You would have to do a SOA setup(Spring over axle). But boy you are talking about quite of work. It can be done. Like the 6bt in a S10 I saw.

Weight is a BIG problem as other people have talked about. A VW diesel TDI would be good and they can be hopped up. I know they make a 5cyl inline but not sure about a V6... But a car based engine would be better. The medium duty engines have things to over come.... 453 Detroit Engine is the same. Cat makes some engines. I have helped put a 3208 V8 Cat engine in a one ton truck, but it was almost a Steven King movie.5pd tranny and a 3sp brownlite aux tranny.. The better one was a Perkins Diesel in a one ton.

I was going to put a 350 olds diesel in a s10 but the Blazer deal did not work out. I have seen one in a Luv truck.... No need for comments on the olds engine. I know about all of them, including my 300k engine and my 400k mile engine. I just need to locate some oversize pistons and rings.. MY ARP head bolts and main bolts gave no problem. I worked on them when they were new.

Use what you can get or what you think will work... A 6.5 or 6.2 GM engines... They have been put on a Camaro and a Monti Carlo All have their problems the 6.2 and 6.5 run cast iron cranks but the Harmonic Balancer goes out and takes the crank with it. 100k it should be changed some say ever 70k

Sorry if this seem off topic.. But it was to show some options and problems... DO I HEAR a Duramax :lol: ave
I do not have any experience with any of the Isuzu Diesels.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:25 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

A couple guys on s10extremeist site have 6.2s, and duramaxs the duramax would me cool but It's way more expensive an a crazy amount of fab lol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:33 pm 

i have never seen a cummins with the exhaust going over the engine, now the crossover pipe from the turbo to the intake is another story, but never the exhaust

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:41 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Look at the 4bt, they come in Frito Truck and similar type trucks. They also use gas engines and some use the GM 6.2 and 6.5 engines... But most of them use the 4bt. Check the 4btswap.com site.