LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:11 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

I know a little about diesels but not Isuzu diesels especially ones for the LUV. The main thing I want to know is will a 4JB1-t or 4BD1-T fit in the LUV? And if so what all would need to be done to make it fit? Also would the 6BD1-T fit fairly easily?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:35 pm 
Addicted to LUV

The C223 has been installed by some members here, as well as the 4FB1 (from the I-Mark or Chevette). I realize you didn't ask about either one of those, but those are the ones that fit fairly easily. The 4JB1 requires about 2" of body lift to fit the '81-'82 LUV (--'87 P'up). We have members at IsuzuPup.com who have done this swap into the P'up. So I'm pretty certain that the '80 would require at least a few inches of body lift and it STILL might be too big or too heavy. The 4BD1 and 6BD1, in my opinion, would be out of the question.

Jack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:41 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

I'm talking about doing an SAS along with the Turbo Diesel so weight wouldn't matter too much besides having to even it out with the rear end. Size really isn't an issue as long as I don't have to move the firewall back a foot. If a body lift is really the only thing needed to make it fit besides mounts than it should be a "fairly (and I use this term lightly)" easy install. Might have to cut the fender wells out and move the radiator forward a little and use electric fans. But if a 454 can be put in one of these than this shouldn't be that hard compared to it. :ewink
Also that's why I'm leaning towards the 4BD1-T instead of the 6BD1-T

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:24 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Weight is a problem, the luv gas engines way nothing compared to a real diesel. Im not sure what those engines way to the 4bt cummins but If there the same, im pretty sure there not far from the cummins 4bt. A cummins 4bt will fit no problem but you have to cut for a bigger radiator, and the luv frame would need some help. Its tiny compared to the rangers or the other things they put them into. But you would have to do alot of work to swap one of them in there. Haha thats wy mine is on a ranger frame. and Ive got the 4bt in the shop for it. all the measure mets have been made it should fit! haha but the luv front in could of never took the weight of the 4bt. A 4bt weights about 750 pounds in just the motor, not even the tranny or the tranfer case. Just when you jack your luv up and look at that front in, with those torsion bars there just not made to take the weight. Hope this helps

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:06 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

That's the reason I said I as going to do do an SAS on the front end either with a set of Toyota's or a pair of K5 axels I have. It says 2 posts above this one.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:39 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Sorry, i didnt see that there. My bad... :signoops Toy axels will hold up no problem! How much do one of those 4bd1 weight? just wondering, just to compare it to the 4bt cummins? If there close then ull have no problems getting it to fit, but the luv frame ull have to think about to, its no much, the only thing its got goin for it is that it is boxed. What trans and tranfer case would you put behind the 4bd1? id go with the toy axels unless you are just making a mud rig, the k5 axels will be wide, toy axels would do no problem. You can buy kits to make them unbreakable even. How much were you gona lift it with the SAS?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:20 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Well I WAS going to do all this but I'm moving to Washington soon so it'll be put on hold. But I found an adapter kit for the 4BD1-T that'll hook it up to any SBC trans :ebiggrin . And the K5 axles I have already have a 6" lift on them :ewink so at least that much. And I've seen the LUV frames handle up to 700Hp 900 ft/lbs of torque without any mods to strengthen it. And its ran every weekend for the last 7 or 8 years. And as far as how much the diesel weighs I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure its around 700lbs.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:53 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Well i know a 4bt will fit in the luv, but mines on a ranger frame, so i know you would have to do a body lift, 2 or 3 ins. An you mite have to cut out the inner fender a bit to get the turbo to fit, I havent got that far with my 4bt yet. But if i remember right the 4bd1's are smaller and lighter than the 4bts but, i know there not that much tho. Theres alot of info on (4btswaps.com) id go there they have an 4bd1 and a 6bd1 sesion there and id read all you can. You wouldnt have any problems if you swaped axels. I would still think about your frame tho, my old luv frame was rusted threw in some places and those ppl that run them at 700 hp and 900fts or just a beafed up 350's, check there frames. you might get down there and go over it with a grinder some and repaint it, and see what you got, theres no point in doin all that work and have your frame crack and mess more things up. I know they make all kinds of stuff for the 4bd1's tho, there the new diesel on the spot light. An A 1986 ford ranger frame is only 1/2 in wider than the luv frame, you should be able to use most of the other info and just make it work for you. It would be cool as Hell to get a 4bd1 in a luv but its gona take alot of time, money, and fabin. A lot of blood, sweat and tears to get it all to come to gether. I know because my project has along way to go be4 i even get the 4bt in it one day. Haha Hope this helps 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:48 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Yea I've looked my frame over real well NO RUST at all besides some slight surface rust. And yea I know I'd have to put a body lift but I had planned that already. I actually might be taking my LUV with me to Washington so this project might still be on. I won't know for sure until about 2 weeks from now though :?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:00 am 

WHERE CAN I FIND INFO ON THE 4BD1's I MIGHT TRY THAT TOO LOL
THANKS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:40 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Just google them. You'll find everything you need.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:38 pm 
da LUV masta

4BTs and 4BD1-Ts are about 750LBs
bolth are 3.9L

PLUS TRANS/T-CASE lbs :!:

86 L\B 4X4 gas 5 speed 2.3
the twins, 81 pup and 81 LUV both are diesel 2.2

The Energizer Bunny is trying to keep up, and is starting to gasp for air!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:48 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Yea I know