LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:06 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Hi all, been on this site about 2 years and own a 1980 Mikado gasser. I've been on the look out for a diesel Luv and found a 1982 Luv diesel on CL about 30 minutes from my house. Going to see it in the am, but the owner sent pics to my phone today. It looks like a decent truck, has a flat bed, good tires body and int are good, has about 220k. Owner says it runs and drives good. Just to may vehicles and projects so this is one is one the ones he is selling. The only bad I can tell so far is it need a new windshield. Asking price is $800
Being a diesel and I am not that familiar with them, what things should I be on the look out for when I test drive it tommorow?
Any and all advice from you diesel experts will be welcome. Thanks in advance.

The only way to combat violence is with greater violence!
Trying to please everyone is way to hard, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:42 pm 
Addicted to LUV

There are several issues that are fairly common with these trucks, but I don't know if any of them would scare me off at that price (other than RUST):
  • Transmission - It should stay in gear, and should not make any noise. But all of the '81-'85 5-speeds seem to eventually fail anyway, and they're easily upgraded.
  • "Rigged" glow systems - I hate to see a push-button rigged into the glow system. It usually means the owner had trouble and didn't know how to fix it. If all the components are still there, it can probably be restored back to original. Find out if they've used ether (starting fluid) to start it. That can damage the engine, so hopefully they have not used it often. I'd ask to see it before it has been started in the morning, so you can see how it starts cold.
  • Heater core - Check the floorboard around the heater for evidence of leakage. You can get a used Trooper core for around $20 and replace it in 3-4 hours.
  • Leaks in the cab - The usual places, just like a gas LUV.

If the engine is running right (or close to "right"), it should hit 75 mph on the interstate without trouble (65 if it's 4wd). That's conservative, mine will bury the 85 mph. speedometer.

Jack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:25 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Thanks, Jack
I'll be on the look out for the items you mentioned. Its 2 wheel drive, so I'll take it out on the highway to see if it will hit that 75mph mark.

Trying to please everyone is way to hard, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:26 pm 
da LUV masta

when new there about 60hp at rated rpm 4,200 8O and 95 torque 2,200rpm
at 3,000 rpms you have about 40hp
so 0 to 60 is well.........lets just say relaxing :lol:

if its a 4sp 2WD you have found a mpg+ model, nearly all of them are S\B (i saw "one" thats L\B).
the only difference is the gearing 3.42 with 4sp versus a 3.73 with a 14.5% O\D 5sp.

the rest of the auto is dead on the same.

HO one more thing, a LS PUP is the equivalent of a Mikado in a LUV
an XLS or something like, that is NOT a higher model than a LS.

86 L\B 4X4 gas 5 speed 2.3
the twins, 81 pup and 81 LUV both are diesel 2.2

The Energizer Bunny is trying to keep up, and is starting to gasp for air!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:00 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Also check the frame right behind the cab for bad rust and check the firewall where the clutch cable goes through( the cable is not that big of a deal but check anyway). Also check for leaks around and behind the alternator on the oil line that goes back to the block.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:45 pm 
Addicted to LUV

smokey wrote:
Also check for leaks around and behind the alternator on the oil line that goes back to the block.

I would check it visually, but DO NOT MOVE or flex the line. If it's original, it can easily crack inside when flexed. Then when the motor is started, it will lose oil REAL fast. Some owners have ruined their motors this way. If you buy the truck, replace that line as soon as possible.

I forgot to mention--if they can't tell you when the timing belt was replaced, it's best to replace it. That's about a $300 job if you pay someone, or a $30 job if you do it yourself (that's including new anitifreeze). If it breaks, you WILL do damage. Diesels are interference engines. If the camshaft stops turning, the pistons will hit valves.

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:49 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Thanks for all the advice guys, but someone beat me there with the cash and the truck is gone. I was mad as $800 seemed like a hell of a deal. So I am still looking, but again thanks for all of the responses.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:38 am 
Addicted to LUV

That truck is on its way to FL, then on to Haiti. :(

When a good deal comes along, exporters move real fast. There was one in Memphis and I knew the owner. It had broken down, and he was tired of fiddling with it. He posted it on CL for $1,200, and within 15 minutes of posting I called him about coming to look at it and see if we could fix it. Before I could get to his house, he told me that a guy from Nashville had wired him money (the guy low-balled him, I think $800). He had his cash within an HOUR of posting the truck on Craigslist--and it was broken down!

Jack

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:23 pm 

Good info I'm looking at 81 diesel Luv for $2500 I think Ican talk him down