LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Fuel Pump for 82 Diesel
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:09 pm 

Hey all,

Don't know if anyone is going to be able to answer this, but there's always a chance. I've got a '82 Diesel LUV that has a bad fuel pump. I was wondering if anyone knew of a stronger fuel pump that could easily be used to replace the stock fuel pump, if i can't find a replacement? I'm thinking about doing some WVO and if I'm going to replace the fuel pump I might as well put in a Bulkier one that can handle the thicker fuel that WVO is. Anyone got any ideas? Or if not ideas about a stronger pump, anyone know where I can get a standard LUV Fuel pump that is in Great shape? Thanks for all your responses in advance.

---LUVNeedsLUV

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:05 pm 
Addicted to LUV

May I ask how you determined that the pump is bad? This pump is one of the most reliable parts of the truck...they don't often fail.

I think you'd have a better chance of finding one at IsuzuPup.com, since that pump was offered for 7 years in the P'up and a few years in the Trooper. But we'll try to troubleshoot first, unless you have money just burning a hole in your pocket.

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:22 pm 

I'm glad you asked that question joe. I actually wasn't the one who diagnosed that the fuel pump was bad. My mechanic friend (whom usually is quite right on) diagnosed that the fuel pump was defective. I believe that he could be right...but I dont actually think that it is the cause of my problems anymore. I guess I will start from the beginning...

For quite a while now my truck has been having problems with air bubbles in the lines. It doesn't really effect the truck on a regular basis as far as I can tell, but every once in a while, when I am driving it, it will bog down, start to lose power, and begin to die. Seemingly normal for having air get to the engine. Knowing that this has been a problem for a while, I usually just purge the lines ( I have clear fuels lines going from the filter to the fuel pump now, after dealing with this problem for so long) so that I can see that fuel is getting to the fuel pump and then just crank her for a minute and am on my way. I really should bleed the lines at the injectors too, but I don't always do that. Then the problem seemingly dissapears for a while.

Recently I have noticed that after leaving it parked for a while, 5 or 6 days, it has an air bubble in the line between the filter and the fuel pump. I didn't really have time to look at it, so I asked my friend to. His deductive reasoning lead him to believe that the fuel pump is bad. After seeing your post...I figured that I could spend an hour or two looking at it, just for the sake of not buying un-needed parts. After messing with it for about an hour, this is what i found out:

The fuel is leaking back to the tank from the fuel filter housing.
The CSD could be leaking...But i'm not to sure about this, i've got to read more about it here and at isuzupup.com
An air bubble does appear in the line between the filter and the pump
It is really nice to have 50 degree weather in the middle of january

After finding this out, I have to agree that the pump is probably not the problem (except for maybe the CSD, but unrelated to this problem). So I took the fuel filter off and removed the filter housing. It seems as though the leak is coming from that damned pump at the top of the housing. After removing the housing and cleaning it, I sucked on the port where the fuel comes in from the tank. Lowe and Behold....the check vavle does not seem to hold pressure. I believe that it is that damned pump. Does this part leak very often? Is there a way to fix it. I tried to remove the pump at the top of the fuel filter housing...but the screw at the top just turns and turns. I am stuck at this point. Is this part easy to find? How much should it run? Got any ideas? I'd love to hear them.

Thanks
---Adam

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:57 am 
Addicted to LUV

Adam, you did some good troubleshooting. Based on the location of the bubble, I was suspecting a problem with the filter/pump assembly (not the injection pump). Those check valves DO go bad--they're pretty fragile. I've read that using suction can damage them.

I haven't had one torn down, so I can't suggest how to fix it internally. You could add an inline check valve before or after the pump (on whichever side was bad) but they cost about as much as a used pump. Someone at IsuzuPup.com probably has a pump they'll sell you, if you don't find one from someone on this site.

Jack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:51 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Hello,
I answered your question on your other post so won't repeat it here. There is just no way a person can drive a Luv diesel on the freeways here in So CA!! You literally will get run over, 35 mph on these highways is too slow and extremely dangerous! I drove mine for over a year and had too many close calls to list, finally went to a sbc 305 with a 700R4. Works out great, if you eventually decide you want to go that route send me a message and I'll forward you some pictures of how I've done the swap. Making the motor mounts is extremely easy, a lot easier than on the earlier ones I've done. -80 models I mean, done dozens of them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:01 am 
da LUV masta

the C223 has one small fuel pump, its in the IP.

theres no pump in tank or a thumper pump on the engine.

86 L\B 4X4 gas 5 speed 2.3
the twins, 81 pup and 81 LUV both are diesel 2.2

The Energizer Bunny is trying to keep up, and is starting to gasp for air!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:43 pm 

Well, I'm still having problems. I have done a few things since finding out the fuel filter housing/primer pump was leaking. I have replaced the fuel filter housing/Primer pump with one from an Imark(thanks Ron.:)). Looks the same as those from the pups. Replaced the fuel lines from the front firewall to the IP with clear lines so i can see where the leak is coming from. Put an Inline check valve to assist the new filter housing/priming pump. And switched over to a filter that i read about on isuzupup.com. Its the Wix 33319. It has a spout for the water instead of having to screw in the water seperator and making sure you don't cross thread it or pinch the o-ring. its smaller. Don't know how long it will last, but it fits in there quite easily.

Inspite of all of this, I have an airleak somewhere. It occurs between the fuel filter outlet and the IP. Its hard to say where its really coming from though. After hooking up everything, it worked fine. No air bubbles anywhere. I can rev it up for 5 minutes and it runs smoothly. Shoots out loads of blue smoke when its full throttle. Turn it off. Turn it on. No air bubbles show up from this. So I think I've finally fixed it. I go drive it to town and make a few stops and by the time i get back, there's an airbubble in the line between the ip and the fuel filter. Not to big about an inch long.

Got any Ideas? I haven't been able to see where the air bubble comes from, but it is between the ip and fuel filter. I'm running out of ideas. I've tried to look at the lines and find out when the airbubble enters the system. It seems to happen while driving sometimes and while parked others. But then sometimes it seemed as though the airbubble shrank.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:09 pm 

So, After reading around the forum and over at isuzupup.com, i have decided that I am going to install a low pressure lift pump at the fuel tank. I know that this will not solve the problem, but it gives me some options. One, if there is a leak somewhere in the fuel lines, it will hopefully leak fuel out so I can see where the fuel is leaking and find the leak. Two, it will allow me to drive the truck more than an hour away without feeling like I might breakdown at any point. Three, if it is the injection pump that is having the problem, it will relieve a littleof the stress on the pump and possibly help it to last longer. and Finally it will allow me to prime the fuel lines at the flip of a switch (literally). I can't really see a down side to adding a low pressure lift pump. Are there any down sides? Does anyone have any advise on what kind of pump to add? Or have any advise on what psi is too much? Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:00 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I can't imagine how it could have a downside, other than the cost, and having to wire it in. I think they're generally around $35-$40.

Jack