LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:38 am 

I have a 1982 and I cannot locate a pump that mounts on to the back of the alternator. It has already caused me to replace one alternator. It is worn out and I am wondering if there is a work around, like maybe an electric vacuum pump I can use..... or maybe I can just replace the plastic fins in the barrel inside the pump? Please help, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.. Thanks..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:54 pm 
Addicted to LUV

There's something else going on here, and it would help to know what. These pumps last forever when properly lubricated. They do not have plastic fins! They have steel vanes. Is your alternator an aftermarket one? Do you have the oil lines connected, and are they clear (free of obstructions)?

I know someone who has one available, but let's see if we can understand what's the problem. Doing the same thing over and expecting different results... :(

Jack

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:12 pm 

OK, Thanks for the reply. What happened is the inside of the pump is slightly gouged in a circle where the barrel rests. It might have been this way since the last time I changed the alternator,, basically I just put in a new alternator when I changed the water pump. It is getting plenty of oil. What happened is the pulley broke off the alt., the belt wasn't too tight and the alt was less then 2 months old, so I figured it must have been the pump. They replaced the alternator and it was when I was putting it together I noticed the gouges on both sides of the inside of the pump. At first I thought it was missing some nylon gasket or something so I went to the dealer and looked at a blow up picture of the pump and no gasket. So I thought it might be wore out, as those vanes do not stick out past the barrel at all, so maybe they are worn down. Anyway, I reassembled it and it seems to work fine, but I wonder for how long. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:51 am 
da LUV masta

the vanes slid back and forth in the little groves, creating the force to pull the vacuum as it spins around in the housing.

same thing as a HYD pump that uses vanes, only its not moving fluid.

(with engine running at idel)
if you can pump the brakes 6 or more times VERY fast, and only have the brake warning light come on for a split sec or not come on at all, you still have very good vac.

if you can push the brake just twice and have the light come on for few secants, thats bad VAC :!: even with the engine revved up on the road, you will have little VAC......in this case...

86 L\B 4X4 gas 5 speed 2.3
the twins, 81 pup and 81 LUV both are diesel 2.2

The Energizer Bunny is trying to keep up, and is starting to gasp for air!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:26 pm 
Addicted to LUV

David is correct, the vanes are slung outward when it spins, creating a seal (as long as it's lubricated). And since the chanber is eccentric, they have to be able to extend and retract freely.

Jack

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:08 pm 

Thanks everyone for the replies. I checked the vacuum as suggested and I have perfect vacuum. The vanes slide in and out easy enough. What I was wondering about is the end of the barrel that the vanes sit in. I don't know how, but it seemed to have gouged a perfect circle on both ends of the pump housing where the ends of the barrel rests. Is this normal? Maybe when the pulley snapped off the alternator the shaft started wobbling and gouged the housing. I just don't know. So Joe, how much will the pump you know about cost me and do I need it? Please let me know. Thanks....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:59 am 
Addicted to LUV

steppingup wrote:
So Joe, how much will the pump you know about cost me and do I need it? Please let me know. Thanks....

Check with debsq. Dart and Deb sell a lot of parts, and they had one of these for sale recently. They may have more.

Have you posted about this at IsuzuPup.com? Someone else is asking for the same thing, and I referred him to debsq also.

Jack

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:26 am 

I wish I had your problem. My truck should have the hydro boost but does not. I am having a heck of a time finding anyone that sells one. Worst part is I cant run the truck till I track one down.

Anyone have any ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:55 am 
Addicted to LUV

Centeno711 wrote:
I wish I had your problem. My truck should have the hydro boost but does not. I am having a heck of a time finding anyone that sells one. Worst part is I cant run the truck till I track one down.

Anyone have any ideas?

What is your truck? Never mind, you're looking for a vacuum pump. They only came on diesels. I know someone who will sell a used pump for $35, just PM me.

Jack