LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: luv to s-10 mating
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:01 am 

Ok i stated in a previous post that i picked up a 81 chevy luv pickup, well mostly im missing or have dented sheet metal. I found a s-10 82 model i believe that I was wondering if the cab and front clip would fit on the luv. my luv being 4wd and the s-10 not i figured that would be the easiest way instead of transplanting everything into the s-10 and having to worry bout mounting everything and installing the 4wd. thoughts, opinions, sugestions, offers, trades im open.

Post subject: Re: luv to s-10 mating
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:08 am 
da LUV masta

how are you going to drive this auto, as in back roads or free way :?:
the 4WD LUV will be horred on the freeway its not geared for over 60mph driving. as well as MPG will suffer badly if pushed to 65mph+ your city mpg will be = or better than open road mpg 8O 8O
bigger tires and or a swap to a 5sp 4WD MSG sold in 1986/1987 ONLY, are the two things that can be done to help rpms in the luv
theres just no better gearing for the 4WDs its just 4.11s and 4.55s from 84/87 troopers.

the s-10 is wider than the GEN2 LUV buy a large amount, i think its 6" or so.
the cab mounting spots will be way off, but that can be over come with lots of work if your willing to do that.

to put the diesel in the S-10 your going to need your 4WD trans with out 4WD or.....do a housing swap with a 2WD MSG trans......

gotta find a 2WD MSG isuzu trans. they where sold 81 to 87 in 2WD pups and luvs and isuzu trucks 88/95 2.3L 2WD ONLY
as well as a hand full of Amego suvs and isuzu cars with the 2.3L gas engine. the car trans has a taller O\D
the trans was up-graded in 86 and then in 88 it got a different spline count for the out put shaft.

info on the 81/95 trans, the thred was started do to the faluer rate of the 81/85 trans, to show that theres a better trans out there.
most issues come from using gear oil in the trans and or lugging in 5th gear.
ALL ISUZU MSG TRANYS USE 5W-30 OIL
http://www.isuzupup.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2615&sid=da261f31d822c925400ec50e2524151a

other than the spline count and the #of teeth on the speedo gear its "just about" imposable to know the year of the trans, with out seeing/knowing for 100% what auto it came from.
the only other ways is when you open it up to do the housing change, if the main shaft speedo gear is plastic it is likely a 88 up trans.

86 L\B 4X4 gas 5 speed 2.3
the twins, 81 pup and 81 LUV both are diesel 2.2

The Energizer Bunny is trying to keep up, and is starting to gasp for air!!