LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:33 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

First: What a great site! Just found it and I'm very impressed.

The reason I'm here today is that I just inherited the family Luv. Diesel, 4X4, A/C, straight body and 36K miles. That's the good part. The truck has been parked under a tree for probably 8-10 years. As a bonus, someone tried to steal the truck a few years ago and yanked out the ignition switch (tumblers, etc). The ignition switch wires are now hanging from the steering column. I did manage to locate the pigtail connector to the switch which the would-be thieves threw onto the floor board.

I can't find a replacement ignition switch at any part stores. They say that a gas burner switch might work but no promises. I guess some sort of homemade push button setup could be cobbled up, but I'd prefer to do it the right way.

If and when the ignition switch situation is handled, I then get to discover if the fuel has decided to turn into tar. That part really scares me.

Any and all suggestions are needed and welcome. Thanks!!!

Tom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:03 am 
Addicted to LUV

Wow, what a find! Get good fuel and a good battery in it, and I'll bet it fires right up. I'd be very concerned about the condition of the timing belt (dry rot). If it breaks while turning over, you WILL get some damage. There's a "how-to" on timing belt changes HERE.

I'd drain the tank (there's a drain bolt), replace the fuel filter, refill, and give it a try.

Also, we've seen some cases where "guests" made themselves at home in the air intake system. I'd remove the air breather and scope things out before firing it up. There are better ways to kill rats.

About the parts...where are you located? Yes, the gas switch is the same as for the diesel.

Jack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:32 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Jack,

Thanks for the pointers. Glad to hear the ignition switch is the same as a gas burner (is the "ACC" position used to power the glow plugs?).

Parts: I'm in north central Arkansas. Know of any parts sources in this area?

Thanks again!

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:25 pm 
Addicted to LUV

OzarkDaredevil wrote:
(is the "ACC" position used to power the glow plugs?).
No, the "On" position powers them. It's kinda complicated because there is a QOS (Quick On System) controller, a drop-down resistor, a thermo-sensor, and two relays involved.

There's a discussion going on about this very subject (it's still "in progress") at IsuzuPup.com that you may find informative. Did you just join IsuzuPup.com? Someone from your area joined the same day you posted your first post here. Is there someone named "Karen" helping you with this truck?

Jack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:04 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Jack,

Yep, that's me she's talking about. She was in our local parts store when I was inquiring about the ignition switch. Never met her before but she sure is happy to offer help.

As you live in Germantown (aka: Swanky Memphis) I know prices are different than my area. But that being said, do you know of a ballpark figure I should expect to pay for having the timing belt replaced? In my youth I'd have jumped into that project myself but now I have finally learned that "saving money" gets expensive and I now prefer to pay for the job to be done right the first time.

Other than old fuel in the system, the old timing belt, and potential critter dens in the intake are there any other areas I could pose issues? If/when I get this little rig firing, it'll get most of the usual maintanence items replaced (filters, belts, etc). Any suggestions?

Thank you again!

Tom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:24 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Tom,

OzarkDaredevil wrote:
As you live in Germantown (aka: Swanky Memphis)
Funny! But you're right, I feel like the hired help around here in my '83 diesel P'up (the Beamer drivers look at me that way, too!).
OzarkDaredevil wrote:
do you know of a ballpark figure I should expect to pay for having the timing belt replaced?
I paid someone to do mine several years ago, and I think it was around $350. I did it myself the last time and I'm not a mechanic. I think I could do it again in half the time.
JoeIsuzu wrote:
Other than old fuel in the system, the old timing belt, and potential critter dens in the intake are there any other areas I could pose issues? If/when I get this little rig firing, it'll get most of the usual maintanence items replaced (filters, belts, etc). Any suggestions?
Sounds like you have it covered. Your heater core may leak, but I'd wait and see unless there's evidence of it.

These trucks are prone to cracking on the firewall where the clutch cable goes through. If that's happened, you will find it hard to get into gear from a stop, and you may grind some gears. But that's another "wait and see" item.

Also, as fuel lines dry out, they tend to crack. Since there's no lift pump on the tank end, the fuel is pulled in. If there are ANY cracks in the fuel line, it would rather pull air in than pull fuel from the tanks. Many an injection pump has been "repaired" when all it needed was good fuel lines. In fact, I'd say many a P'up has been scrapped for this simple problem. If you don't have problems starting it, no need to worry.

And there's an oil line from the block to the back of the alternator. These get brittle and crack. Since they're fabric covered, you won't see the crack. But if they do, you will pump your oil out really fast. That's dangerous. I'd watch this pretty closely after the first start-up.

That's all I can think of for now.

Jack

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:27 am 
da LUV masta

if you dont know, theres a drane plug on the fuel tank.

86 L\B 4X4 gas 5 speed 2.3
the twins, 81 pup and 81 LUV both are diesel 2.2

The Energizer Bunny is trying to keep up, and is starting to gasp for air!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:15 pm 

I've got one of these trucks just like yours.

You can do the timing belt change yourself. O'Reilly auto has many parts for these trucks.

Another source I just recently found is rockauto.com excellent service and prices.

The is a PDF file on this site somwhere where you can down load the entire parts manual. You can then enter the part you need on rockauto.

Heber Springs Brake(Heber springs AR ) and diesel will work on your truck 501-362-2013

Rock auto also sells the LUV factory maintenance manual.

Cheers !!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:19 pm 

I have a switch with the door locks to match. I'm going to Ca. on the 31st. I have 99 o/o of My parts there. So if You want them Let Me Know. I don't get on this site very much, but You P/M Me one IsuzuPup.com

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:31 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Update:

Yesdarday I towed the '81 to a local shop I trust. The truck started and runs! I instructed the shop to immediately replace the timing belt, fuel filter, flush radiator, etc. Should be back on the road tomorrow. Thanks for all the help, folks!

The tires are ancient and rotten - surprised they even hold air. I can't seem to find info on the OEM tire size for this particular truck. Anybody know? If it's any help, the wheels are factory white spoke.

Thanks again!!

Tom

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:33 pm 
Addicted to LUV

OzarkDaredevil wrote:
I can't seem to find info on the OEM tire size for this particular truck. Anybody know?

The tire size for the 4x4 is listed as "F70 - 14BPC". I've never heard of that, other than in my shop manual. But the 4x2 is listed as P195/75R14. I upsized my rims to 15" and lower profile tires (P205/65x15). I used a tire calculator to maintain the same outside diameter.

Since you're paying for labor, it's a shame not to do the water pump while the have the front of the motor all apart.

Jack

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:41 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Got to drive my new 1981 Luz diesel to work today. Good times, good times!

Now for what seems to be a real stumper: where can I find a fuel tank cap?

Another pain in the rear is the heater/AC control levers which have snapped off. Any ideas, folks??

Thank you all again!!

Tom

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:27 pm 
Addicted to LUV

OzarkDaredevil wrote:
Now for what seems to be a real stumper: where can I find a fuel tank cap?

I happened to find one at a Pull-A-Part and I bought so much stuff, they didn't even charge me for it. So I have a spare, but it's not for sale. I'm just telling you that because you might find one at a salvage yard.

"JLEMOND" on the IsuzuPup.com forum has access to Isuzu factory parts, and he keeps these in stock. Unfortunately, they're about $35. And there are no aftermarket ones available. But contact Jerry (JLEMOND) and he'll get you one in the mail.

I may be able to snag you a heater & a/c control from the same truck that I got my fuel cap from. I'll let you know.

Jack

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:05 pm 
Addicted to LUV

JoeIsuzu wrote:
I may be able to snag you a heater & a/c control from the same truck that I got my fuel cap from. I'll let you know.

I'm going out of town for several days, and I will not be able to get to this until I return. If the P'up is still there after I get back, I'll try to get over there and pull the switch assembly. The switch was still in it last week (before I saw your post).

Jack

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:44 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Joe,

PM sent. Thanks!

Tom

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:44 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Tom, you have mail (email).

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:52 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular