LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: no current to starter
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:54 am 

when i turn the switch the glow plug light comes on and i can hear the relay stuttering. i have a new battery and and connections are good. checked fuses under hood. checked the switdch with ohmn meter and seems to be good. where do i look? thanks for any help. oldtimer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:36 am 
da LUV masta

theres a safty lock out on the starter, that forces you to push the cluch in to let the engine turn over.
on rare ocashons that wire can come loose or be dameged

is it doing the same thing it was with the old battery now with the new one,
and you know the new one has 12.4/12.6Vs under no load :?:

ERRR are you saying you can hear the starter solonode clicking :?: or a solonode thats on the auto, not the starter thats clicking. :?:

if its a golw-plug relay opening/closing fast many times, on the fire wall or under the dash, thats not right, should click once mabe twce when key is turnd to run then after 2/5 secconts one more click.
but if theres no current getting to the starter then you need to figure that out, not like i needed to tell you that. :esmile
before you play with the glow systom sence you cant make the engine go roundy roundy.

86 L\B 4X4 gas 5 speed 2.3
the twins, 81 pup and 81 LUV both are diesel 2.2

The Energizer Bunny is trying to keep up, and is starting to gasp for air!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:28 am 
Addicted to LUV

Make sure all your battery connections are good and check close as you can measure battery voltage but if the connection is bad you will not get the amperage and this will cause heat at the bat connection.

On my truck (gas) i measured the voltage to the starter on the start side and found that it was 2 volts under battery volts so i wired in a Ford starter relay(most call it a solenoid even though that's wrong) now the starter gets full battery voltage at all times when i start it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:08 pm 

trooper t

thanks much for the help. when it first went on blink.. when i turned the key on the glow plug flickered, it has quit that now and seems to be ok. could you please tell me where the starter relay is located. i seem to be under the impression it might be it. i am 83 yeas old and have had this pu sence 84. it has a long bed on it which i havent seen before. troop i realy appraeciate your help. old timer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:04 pm 
da LUV masta

this is a 1984 isuzu pup that was origanaly a CA spec diesel pup with a EGR systom, :!: so the items may not be in the same places :!:

im gessing your starter relay is some where on the drivers side where the two are in the bottem pix, but those may be for the glow systom i just dont know.
or mabe my pup no longer has it, sence the wiring harness has been hacked up so bad.

the lower three pixs can be cliked on to make bigger, im limited to three of them per posting, so the top one is posted in a diffrent manner
(it can not be made bigger by cliking on it).
http://img28.imageshack.us/i/sany1323.jpg/
a link to a pix of the pup from the side, cinda rare to see a 4x4 long bed

Attachments:
SANY1336.JPG
SANY1336.JPG [ 335.53 KiB | Viewed 5143 times ]
SANY1330.JPG
SANY1330.JPG [ 335.95 KiB | Viewed 5143 times ]
SANY1329.JPG
SANY1329.JPG [ 333.64 KiB | Viewed 5143 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:17 pm 

thanks again trooper

the only thing i recognize are the two blue boxes located in the last picture. could these be relays. is there any way i can check them. you are very kind to put up with me. after seeing the pics of your love i feel guilty having such a nice pu. it just wont start. do i understand that you are going to diesel school. when i was young i sailed a 33ft out illand sail boat to south am. had a 2 cy volvo. when i got back to states i went to a diesel school in jacksonvile fla to get it overhauled. should have used it for an anchor. thankis again trooper. old timer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:36 am 
da LUV masta

yes they can be tested but not with 110V, must be 12V or it will be junk from the 110V :!:
first remove the relay from the auto then
put 12V to the ports that send the power to it, that will engage the continuity though the relay on the other two ports.

then put a volt meter on the other two ports, on ohm mode, and see if it has continuity and low resestence with the volt meter.
if there no continuity or high resestence then its bad.............

___________________________________________________________________________________________

this pup is not my normal auto that i drive, i bought this pup in yuma AZ and tow bard the auto home to N\W Oregon
man that was a WILD TRIP :!: :!: pulling it with a trooper.

:ebiggrin BUT THERES ALL MOST NO RUST ON IT :ebiggrin

the trooper is one of only 800 in the USA with the up-grade engine rods.

my other big trip was to NC state for a isuzu meet on the isuzupup.com site (there big in to the diesels).
http://www.isuzupup.com/viewforum.php?f=33&sid=00456e49e8b087081a52d6d2102f3e7e

Attachments:
SANY1308.JPG
SANY1308.JPG [ 317.96 KiB | Viewed 5131 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:41 pm 

troop

thanks again. just got home will give it a go in am. trooper i have a 1981 long bed with 140k on it original seat and no rust. if i kick off what would be a reasonable price for my wife to ask? i have no idea. whoops its a stick 5 sp. how often do they have those love sessions. is there a big turn out. i have an old vw beatle diesel. was going to their meet in kan. but i hate kan. so backed out. it has been great yaking with you but if you are in your 20's you would praobably like to cancel me out. thanks again troop. old timer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:23 pm 
da LUV masta

depends on salt damege, body damege, in side of cab, dash, seats, ECT ECT
and condishon of engine, trans, rear end

they go for any where from free with "drastic" salt damege (only safe to run off road) , and a non running gas engine
if it has a diesel with drastic salt damege, thats not running $200 is about as low as they go BUT......on the flip side........

they can go to $7,000~ for one in mint shape as it was, then it drove off the dealer lot.
diesel troopers in mint shape, have gone for as much as $9,000 8O

a long bed 2WD ERRR its a 4X2 right :?:
with little or no rust, no body damege, clean cab, truck bed is not all beat up, and sound trans / engine and 140,000 miles
id say $3,000 as bottem doller $5,000 as top end.

thats just a gess, sence ive never seen it with my eys.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if your wife put the pup up for sale on the web on e-bay or craigslist at say $1,000 or less, she whould get a lot of intrest from people over seas. that cant speek english or very poorly speek english.
the long bed 2WD diesels are in the highest demand over seas, becouse they have space for 24~ people in the back and dont have the gearing that the 4X4s do. so it gets better MPG.

the GOV of haiti and other countrys, has some fuel deal, where if the auto is a taxi they get cheep or free fuel.
thus making a demand for these little isuzu LUVs and PUPs that have good frames and bodys
to take over there to rust apart in less than 15 years for serten GRRRRRRRR :twisted:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the pup meets as we call them are cinda new we have had one hear in south west Oregon and theres been two or more out east in NC and one in Georgia.

the last one was the one in NC state there was about 40 people there
this is the thred on it with a ton pixs and a video thats a hour or longer on doing a tune up to a diesel with epsen salts
http://www.isuzupup.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=7291

yea i thought he was nuts to but it worked, blew the sut and carben right out the tale pipe.
its a good thred just to see all the pixs of LUVs and PUPs

the pup meet we had in OR had about 15 people, it was about two days or so long.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:17 pm 

hy trooper

i got it started. it was one of those snap togather fitting right next to those two boxes i asked about. it has been great visiting with you and i wish you the best. thanks again for your patience and and all the info and pictures. if you ever come to missouri e mail me and i will find you. god bless oldtimer