LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:34 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

was just wondering what people thought about this and how hard it would be if i found a diesel luv or a izuzu trooper to pull the tranny and engine from... i know a guy that has a diesel luv that might not run and if i got it what would i need to get it going from sitting a few years... ran when parked...

76' stepside mikado w/sunroof

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:21 am 
da LUV masta

if she ran with no rod nock when parked then not too much.
you will want a good battry, diesel fuel and the glow plugs in working order under 70F to test start the engine. no need for coolent, for just running 20 sec
if its over 70F with no glow plugs and it will not start, the engine has lost a very large part of its compresson.
mine will start in under 30 sec at 65F with no glow plugs.
there (will) be fabbing to put it in a 76 LUV
and i advise re-gearing if you have 4.55s with a 4 speed.

putting a diesel in a 4x2 is much easer than a 4x4.
i think 86, 87 are the only years for the diesel 4x4 5 speed trans in the pup\trooper
though there are 4x2 5 speeds be for the 86 year.
i hope you have a 4x2

the bell-housing on the 2.2 diesel engine, only bolts to the one type of trans it comes with, though theres one flaw to that rule.(in the USA) more out side USA
the s-10 2.2 diesel trucks had a bell-housing (same on engine end) but that bolted up to a T5 trans. very few out there.

the 4x2 5 speed from a 88-95 isuzu truck, works too. (it must come from a 2.3L) not the 2.6L, it can fit the 2.2 bell housing. its a much stronger trans. though the yoke size and spline is not the same on this trans, as the normal diesel drive line and trans.

as you can see staying 4x2 makes things much easyer.
plus buy buy being 4x2 your not limited to just 4.11s 4.55s gears for the diesel, thats big sence its running rpms are lower than carbe engine.
if your truck has 4.55s with a 4 speed. the engine will hit 3,000 rpms before 55 mph!!!!not good for a diesel. unless its all rock road driving. no need to go that fast.

and then theres the real odd ball, some gen 1 s-10 blazers had a isuzu 2.2 N\A diesel 4 or 5 speed trans.
no its not a miss prent there out there, just very few.

86 L\B 4X4 gas 5 speed 2.3
the twins, 81 pup and 81 LUV both are diesel 2.2

The Energizer Bunny is trying to keep up, and is starting to gasp for air!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:08 pm 
da LUV masta

trooper T/diesel wrote:
there (will) be fabbing to put it in a 76 LUV

I'm not sure how much fabbing would be required here. I know on my '75, the motor mounts are completely different than what is on the '82 diesel motor but I think with the '76 gas motor, it uses the same mounts as the diesels. Peeroy put a diesel in his ('77 I think) and I don't remember him mentioning fabbing motor or tranny mounts. Peeroy, can you confirm?

Good luck,
Eric Q.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:49 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

ok first off i do have a 4x2 but second i dont have any idea what gears mine are lol its auto if that tells you, you would know more than me, it does go up to 90mph max though as it is with a messed up carb and the tranny needing to be replaced. its just kinda scary... im suppose to go see the truck tomorrow and ill find out if it will still run... so when i go look at it tomorrow i just need some diesel and a battery to see right? if it doesnt start up it will be due to low compression and probably something blown up right?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:50 am 
da LUV masta

i know all pups with a auto trans have 4.11 but there all 81 and newer.
with stock tires auto pups are around 2,500rpms @50mph~
but i dont know about autos in LUVs if there 4.11s
i dont reccomend putting a auto behind a diesel,
errrr that auto trans cant be put to the diesel any way, not the right bell-housing.

very inportend
also the glow plugs are not 12V there only 5V. if you hot wire them, for more than 3 secconts they will stop working after only a few times. the tips will get bigger and be a jumbo pane to change, some people have had to bust them up to get them out

if the engine is still in the truck, the fuel in the tank may be just fine. if theres some still there LOL
if you cant put it in the tank, you need to put the fuel return in to the contanor that you have the fuel coming from, other wise youll be pumping the retune fuel in to the trucks fuel tank LOL
its a diesel, so priming is a major pane when there cold.
so the trucks tank is first choce....

but after its started having the hood and seats shake on a good engine at stone cold start up is normal.
i am on my 3rd battry in under three years, so a good running engine will shake a good little bit.

as a (last rezort) eather for (under) one seccont spray will tell you if its a bad engine. after a lot of cranking.

i hope it starts, i have heard of C223 isuzu engines running when parked, then sitting 15 years and starting up with fuel and a battery.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:45 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

ya i wasnt planning on leaving the auto in there anyway... if the truck runs alright after today i would take the tranny out and put the one from the diesel in until i could find a five speed. so wish me luck today and hope it runs!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:36 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

well i went to see the guy and i got a suprise. its actual a 72 made in dec. of 71 that some1 else stuck a diesel in. the key disappeared so i didnt get a chance to check if it ran. but the real good news is that i talked to the guy and he told me if i got a trailer i could have it free. so i have to check with my wifes granpa about storing it while i work on the swap. but if everything goes to plan i will have it within the week. and when im done with pulling the engine and tranny i might have some1 who wants to buy it off me so they can stick a 383 in it and take it to the dunes to race... ill let you know what happens and how it goes...

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:49 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

ok... it turned over once and now it wont... anyone got ideas of what could be going on?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:29 am 
da LUV masta

once as in, one turn of the crank. thats way bad :(

or once, as in one ten seccont crank? much better :D

does the starter clike, or make any nose at all, under the hood?

it may be somthing as simpal as a cable thats lose and or croded, some where.
these things shake a lot-more than your gaser.
it may be the starter. but dont go getting a new starter tell you know its not a cable or conector.
plus its been sitting for a good, little bit.

also try puting it in 5th, you may luck out and have a 5 speed all-ready :P

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:05 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

it was a one ten second crank...

now there isnt any clicking or anything that i can hear at all now and i was wondering what could cause that... and also it does turn over by hand with me using a auto adjusting oil filter wrench lol

also i tried and assuming that there is a reverse its only a four speed? there are five places total it will shift to...

also i put my old tires on it from my luv and even in neutral it wont roll at all its like the parking break is stuck on.. and yes it was on when i first saw it. maybe stuck? if so what to do? from everyting i have seen who ever did he first conversion didnt bother to make anything look pretty at all. wiring is everywhere ill try to take a pic today when i go out there. thanks for the help guys

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:58 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I think you just answered your problem "bad wiring" so work on the battery and start mode first then check for power at fuel pump then the on off at the injector pump and you should have it going and this sounds like if your lucky why it was down anyway. Good luck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:12 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

some one told me all that was really needed to get it going just to test it was a wire from the battery to the starter and from the battery to the injection pump? true or false?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:10 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Well, it doesn't need any spark, so if you get the fuel pump going and get the starter turning, it oughta crank.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:31 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

well major progress has been made. thanks for the info about making it crank over. was able to make it crank over as much as i wanted but it still wouldnt start. spent the next 2 hours being pissed off at the world, and so i started taking things apart and took the timing belt cover off and low and behold the timing chain was in 3 pieces... made sure nothing else was messed up over about another hour and found out one of the bolts on the head is broke off. so i pulled the head off and made sure nothing was jamming up and everything was ok it was twisted off about half way up so it will be easy to remove and replace (hopefully) but i have to wait a few days for autozone to get a new belt.

have a question about taking the bottom timing belt cover off though. do i have to pull the whole front of the engine apart to get it off?

but after all of this i think everything should go ok to start up. so at least ill have the engine for the swap. the wiring though is going to be a pain. i think it might be easier to start with a whole new wiring harness? what does everyone think?

the truck still doesnt roll though and not sure why that is... any ideas?

thanks alot
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:42 pm 
Addicted to LUV

You're in for some damage if the motor turned after the timing belt broke. From what I've read, ALL diesels are interference engines. We still don't know for sure what motor this is, since it's a retrofit. It could be either a C223 (2.2 liter LUV/P'up engine) or a 4FB1 (1.8 liter I-Mark/Chevette engine). Offhand, I can't recall enough about the 4FB1 to tell you the differences. But either way, you will have some internal damage. The C223 typically breaks rocker arms and bends pushrods when it breaks a timing belt. Pistons are not damaged, because the valves hit flat on top of the piston. It's not too bad a fix, definitely worth rescuing. I don't know about the 4FB1.

No, you don't need to pull the whole front of the engine apart to get the bottom half of the timing belt cover off.

Jack

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:11 pm 
da LUV masta

sk82xs69 wrote:
well major progress has been made. thanks for the info about making it crank over. was able to make it crank over as much as i wanted but it still wouldnt start. spent the next 2 hours being pissed off at the world, and so i started taking things apart and took the timing belt cover off and low and behold the timing chain was in 3 pieces... made sure nothing else was messed up over about another hour and found out one of the bolts on the head is broke off. so i pulled the head off and made sure nothing was jamming up and everything was ok it was twisted off about half way up so it will be easy to remove and replace (hopefully) but i have to wait a few days for autozone to get a new belt.
have a question about taking the bottom timing belt cover off though. do i have to pull the whole front of the engine apart to get it off?
but after all of this i think everything should go ok to start up. so at least ill have the engine for the swap. the wiring though is going to be a pain. i think it might be easier to start with a whole new wiring harness? what does everyone think?
the truck still doesnt roll though and not sure why that is... any ideas?
thanks alot Chris

JOE is right,
the chances that your push rods and-or rockers are mest up, are way high.
the push-rods\rockers are made to be the first thing to give, when the belt goes.

you said timing chain? all C-223 are a belt.
though i do not know, if the 1.8L diesel is a timing chain\belt

all so, i hope this is not true.
does the engine have the steel lines in a strate line on top of the injector pump or do they all go to the back of the injector pump. if there in a strate line on top of the pump youll have a C-201 or C-240 industreal engine. or mabe some other engine.
also, all the isuzu industreal engines have a timing chain.
ill bet its a big mess under the hood, but pics will help, if you can.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:23 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Sorry about the mix up i had meant timing belt... the part number is isuzu 8-94220-922-0 the guys at autozone and kragen seemed to think it was out of a 223 2.2l diesel also... dont know how much they know though. they said they could get the belt in a few days if i ordered now. i pulled the head off and nothing seemed to be bent or damaged at all so im hoping that everything is ok... my camera wasnt working right yesterday so i have to go back today and ill take some pics. any other words of advice before i go back today?

Thanks

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:57 pm 
da LUV masta

comparing rockers is falry easey, to see if any are bent.
but make shoure it does not have bent push-rods, as well.

how do the liner walls look are they smoth or mest up.

also sence your in it this far, (see if the water pump has play in it). you will need to pull it down all most as far agen, if it gives up. though not the head.
shes a real odd ball pump, with two seals, one on each side of a plate.

parts that auto stores handel, for these engines are not stocked much, if any.
it took two weeks to get my power stearing pump.
one to three days is normal for filters and belts.
i have yet to find a store that has the filters sitting on the shelf.
so i go in when there on sale, and order oh two or three at a time. and save %45 :P

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:45 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

im about to head out there to go check on it. i remember from yesterday that everything was smooth and nothing looked bent or messed up but i will take some pics and post them when i get back, and how do i test the water pump? and check the rods? this is really the first time ive pulled an engine apart... im mechanically inclined with a little knowledge about how everything works but im not an expert lol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:08 pm 
da LUV masta

if the push rods are bent, there bad.
though some have (at there risk) bent them back straght LOL

if the water pump goes clunk like as if it was drive line uneversal, when you grabe it and try to move it. its only a matter of time.