LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:33 am 

The previouse owner had the injectors rebuilt, the injector pump rebuilt, new timing belt, new radiator, new fuel filter, new alternator, new clutch, new brakes...$1200 and lots of his own time putting on the said parts, he sold her to me for $1100 to cut some of his loss. I figured the power loss was due to a plugged exhuast since I could see some smoke escaping around the donut, and not much coming from the tailpipe. It was plugged, new muffler did not improve the missing and the lack of power. I replaced the fuel filter, no change, I blew air back through the lines and low and behold, the fuel cap was sealed, no leaks anywhere else so I loosened it and drove her again, still no difference. Ripped everything off the front and checked the timing, upon very careful inspection I discovered that the harmonic balancer had slipped and the belt was replaced 1 tooth off, shifted everything and made new marks on my balancer,(the keyway on the crankshaft points straight up when it is at TDC right?) put everything back together, drove her... still the same. Read all night on every forum remotely related to headaches like this, found many problems arising from plugged banjo bolts and sticky cut-off solenoid. I thought that the running on after I shut off the key was due to a short because some-times it would work. I checked it with a direct wire, it only was working when it felt like it. I have a spare so I attempted to remove the old one..... No room, and sampson must have used that jawbone from the ass for tightening that sucker! I sprung my 23 MM wrench! I had to take everything back off the front and unbolt the injector pump and take it out so I could get a pipe wrench on that dirty ............Checked it when I got it out and it works smooth some-times, but the shut-off rod is bent so when it gets in the wrong position it sticks either open or shut or half-way. Would sticking half-way cause my power lack? This thing idles so smooth and runs so well up to 2000 rpm, then acts like it is starved for fuel.
Spacecabdiesel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:36 pm 

Did the timing belt jump a tooth on the crankshaft pully? If so then what it sounds like to me is that maybe your power loss could be caused from a bent valve. I don't know wheather or not that bent shut off rod could have anything to do with the power loss but I would deffinatly replace it. Other than that I really don't know, is the engine the C223 or is it the 4FB1 diesel that was offered with the newer model of pickups such as yours?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:44 pm 

It is the c223 engine in my 1984 S15. The engine has plenty of low end power and runs smoother then any of the other 4 trucks I have had with this same engine. I don't think that it jumped a tooth on the timing, I think that the person replacing the belt and who rebuilt the injector pump simply did not notice the slipped harmonic balancer and thus timed it off by a tooth, regardless, my changing the belt timing did not effect the performance enough to notice. If it is not the shut off solenoid that is the problem, I am forced to concider the injector pump rebuild was not up to par. Pray for me that the solenoid is the problem since I had to remove the injector pump to get a pipe wrench on the dirty critter... which meant removing the front stuff all over again plus the mount that they put under the pump to attach it to the engine, then the pump was froze hard into the aluminume cover which leads me to believe that the "rebuilt injector pump" consisted of a good cleaning on the exterior by some shop that had no intention of doing anything more then ripping off the previouse owner. Also makeing the injector rebuilds suspect in my book.

Spacecabdiesel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:41 pm 

Sounds like a compresion test would be a good place to start. If you've got a bent valve it would definately show there!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:37 pm 

compression's fine, I put it back together after replacing the solenoid and now it won't even pop to startI must have an air leak some-where on the injector pump or maybe it's seals gave up? I wish I knew what I was doing enough to work on the injector pump. The glow plug system has always worked well before but now it seems it may not be working either. The hand primer pump gets fuel to the injectors, but it does not seem to build pressure when I crank the engine. I loosened the #1 injector feed to see if there was any pressure and it just dribbled a bit. Shouldn't the injector pump spray hard out of the feed when cranked with it loose?
I think I am going to trade out the whole injector pump with one I know is good and stop messing around with something that was "rebuilt" then never seemed to work right after. I need to get a good shop manuel also.
Thanks, Spacecabdiesel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:39 am 

Hey how's it going on the S15, you got our curiousity up, don't leave us hanging? Did you get to the bottom of your problem? If not keep talking maybe we can help! Clair

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:15 pm 

Well the glow plugs all burnt out due to the problem with the fuel shutoff solenoid needing multiple key cycles to finally shut off the engine so now I have to replace them. I got it started after replacing the solenoidwith a puff of WD40 and diesel starter fluid combo and it still has the same problem. I have narrowed it to the injector pump not delivering enough fuel at higher RPMs. The truck has great lowend pulling power and when you hit the higher RPMs the smoke decreases leading me to believe it just is not delivering. I have a good spare injector pump that I will try soon while I am transplanting a good engine into my Space Cab that I hydrolocked in the great flood of december 2007. I will keep this thread updated,
Terry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:18 pm 

Could it be that some-one that rebuilt it did not adjust the "smoke screw" right? If so where is it and how do I adjust it?
Terry, Spacecabdiesel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:32 pm 
da LUV masta

is it a turbo engine?????

86 L\B 4X4 gas 5 speed 2.3
the twins, 81 pup and 81 LUV both are diesel 2.2

The Energizer Bunny is trying to keep up, and is starting to gasp for air!!