LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: ETHER?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:22 pm 

In the process of trying to solve an electrical system problem, my friend, who has been advising me in the process, used ether a few times to get the engine on my 81 diesel started. Well, the glow plugs have stopped working and upon pulling them out, I've found they are slightly pitted - any correlation? The bigger question is what kind of damage can using ether do?

Post subject: Re: ETHER?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:40 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

The older diesels used ether to get them started in cold weather.
Its ---> probably<--- ok to use SOME.
Typically when using it on a diesel that has glowplugs Ive just sprayed some in a rag and held it near the intake. It doesnt take a whole lot, and a whole lot will make bad and evil things happen.

Id just fix the glowplugs.....
They do typically wear out, and the pitting is more than likely the failure point of the glowplug. Which is probably the reason your using ether. Sounds normal to me.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:34 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Spray some on a rag and hold it up to the intake. Gasoline used the same way will work too. You just need to hold it somewhat close, do not cover the intake hole with a the rag. Just be careful. Good way to damage your engine. When I worked on diesels for a living, we never sprayed either in a diesel engine. Break a $20,000 engine on a new Peterbuilt truck, not me..... 8O

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:09 am 

Points well taken. I've also learned that, among other things, the ether can make the engine run way too hot, which probably causes the pitting. Plus, the engine has no way of regulating its own RPMs with the ether, which made it sound super noisy, noisier than it should be.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:39 pm 

Ether causes the tips of the glowplugs to swell, no matter how much you use. You might get away with it for a while or they might swell on the first shot. When that happens it becomes very hard to remove them. And if you happen to break the tip off while removing, guess what you get to do. :esad

If you want to use ether I suggest removing your glowplugs and putting a solid plug in the hole.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:40 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Seems I remember WD40 being used too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:17 pm 

Paramountfarms wrote:
And if you happen to break the tip off while removing, guess what you get to do. :esad

Lemme guess - overhaul the engine? or do I just have to take off the cylinder head? I've been working on the engine now for a while and nothing got it started so I took out the engine assembly and have been taking apart the block. I've removed the cylinder head and there was some junk down inside. The engine failed a compression test that a friend of mine did, so it was losing compression somehow. The last suggestion I got was checking the valve seats. The pistons look ok, so if its not necessary, I'd rather not have to get the pistons removed and the piston holes rebored. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:12 pm 
da LUV masta

when we got are 350 dozer it came with a engine that needed a little ether to start it. unless it was summer time out.
its a DI, PLN (no computer) engine with 16/1 compresson stock and its N/A. (with no holes for glows)

after having it for too or three years being started on ether, just little spurts of it, a can lasted around 40 some ood stone coaled starts.

the last time it ran it was doing just fine. just laking power as normal.
went out to start it and it was like it was out of fuel, but there was (white smoke). got some one with a compreshon gage for a diesel and too of the three cilenders had 0 compreshon. the other one had 150 psi.

the ether dried out the piston walls every time it was started on ether. makeing over time lower compreshon.

if you can start it with glows or DW-40 (do it)
in time (it will give up) being started on ether.

86 L\B 4X4 gas 5 speed 2.3
the twins, 81 pup and 81 LUV both are diesel 2.2

The Energizer Bunny is trying to keep up, and is starting to gasp for air!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:22 am 
Addicted to LUV

I watched my dad blow the head gaskets on our Oldsmobile diesel with Ether. Took about 2 seconds. Went something like, Ether > Starter > loud knocking > bulging radiator hose.

Granted, the Olds was a POS diesel, but it still made me leary about using it from then on.

I also watched him nearly grenade his VW Rabbit Diesel with gasoline. He cleaned the air filter with gas and then let is sit. Apparently he didn't let is sit long enough. As soon as he started it, it started revving to the moon. He managed to save it by jamming it in gear and standing on the brakes while smoke poured out of the poor clutch.

I think he just bought new filters after that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:44 pm 

Ben wrote:
As soon as he started it, it started revving to the moon...

A un-planned Italian tune-up (sort of)! 8O :ebiggrin