LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Stuck glow plug
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:51 pm 

I'm changing the glow plugs in my '82 luv diesel and one seems to be stuck. It was difficult to turn and when I finally got to the end of the threads it turns but will not come out. The other three were no problem. Does anybody have any advice?

Also I assume I should be using antisieze on the threads when I put the new ones in. Am I correct?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Stuck glow plug
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:46 pm 

dbear

It's stuck either from a) carbn build-up, or b) overheating. I've experienced both, a) from age and b) from putting 12 volts to them for too long, not realizing I was killing them.

Spray your favorite penetrating oil in the glow-plug hole to help it come out, grap the hex part of the plug with vise-grips, and while turning it back and forth and gently wiggling it, pull outwards on the visegrips. Don't forget to spray a bit of penetrating fluid in while doing this. It will help soften the carbon somewhat.
With enough patience and determination, it should come out w/o too much agony.
The set I cooked were very tough to get out, but they were swelled with too much heat, not just carbon build-up. I was sure I would have to remove the head to get them out, but eventually I wiggled them out without taking the head off.

Good luck with it. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:26 am 

ZackaryMac wrote:
It's stuck either from a) carbn build-up, or b) overheating. I've experienced both, a) from age and b) from putting 12 volts to them for too long, not realizing I was killing them.

Ditto - I just replaced all four glow plugs in my 81 diesel and found that they were all bad from overheating, most likely related to a failure in one of the components in the QOS. To get them out I had someone pry at the inside of the hex nut with a cat's paw while I gently wiggled and pulled the plug straight out with a little set of channel locks. I didn't use any anti-seize when installing the replacements.

I'm in the process of trying to try to diagnose the QOS problem right now, and would appreciate any advice. I started a thread under classifieds with the subject heading Needed-81 Diesel Kiki Controller, but now I am thinking I don't need to replace the controller, but either manually rewire part of the QOS or replace a part such as the thermo switch or relay 1

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:18 am 

The QOS relays go bad and need replacement from time to time - must be global warming or something. Before replacing the controller or rewiring I suggest you check the relay functions - - both must work to prevent overheating the plugs. Have someone turn on the key (but don't start it) while you put your ear close to the relay (under hood right side sheet metal - - two little boxes). You should hear definite "click" sounds when each one goes off. No click, get thee off to your NAPA store. Good luck.