LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Timing belt
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:42 pm 

I have recently acquired a Luv diesel. :D
Where can I get information regarding changing the timing belt?
Thanks, Dennis

Post subject: Re: Timing belt
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:33 am 
Addicted to LUV

Like this?
C223 Timing Belt Replacement...

Jack

Post subject: Re: Timing belt/timing
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:28 pm 

Thanks a lot for the quick response, the information was very helpful. I got the new belt on this afternoon. No problems. I already had the radiator off, etc., due to a leaking water pump. All went well. One more question. The arrows, when I got the cover off, were not aligned like your picure shows. They were off one cog. I aligned them like you said. Perfect. How is this going to effect the engine running? Thanks again, Dennis
Glad I found this site, full of good info here.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:25 am 
Addicted to LUV

Dennis, I don't quite understand your question. Are you saying you rotated one or more pulleys without the belt on? Or did you align them by turning the crank before you removed the belt?

Jack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:15 am 

Jack, I aligned the pulleys by rotating the crank. The cam gear was one tooth lower than the pump gear. So, after locking the pump gear with the 6mm bolt, I rotated the cam gear so both arrows aligned perfectly. Just moved the cam gear up one cog. I wonder if someone before me had made a mistake, or had the cam retarded one cog for a reason. Hope this clarifies things a bit.
Again, thanks. Dennis
BTW, northeast Ga. here

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:22 pm 
Addicted to LUV

oldgoldwings wrote:
Jack, I aligned the pulleys by rotating the crank.
Sounds good so far, but then you're saying you still had to turn the cam gear by itself...that's what I don't get. Because if you're turning the crank with the belt on, the arrows HAVE to align with each other at some point.
oldgoldwings wrote:
The cam gear was one tooth lower than the pump gear. So, after locking the pump gear with the 6mm bolt, I rotated the cam gear so both arrows aligned perfectly.
Again, why just the cam gear?

Based on what you've explained, I still don't understand why it was necessary to lock up the pump and turn just the cam gear. The two arrows meet up and eventually pass each other as you turn the crank around. If they didn't meet, you didn't turn it far enough. Does that make sense?

I guess it is possible that the previous owner got this out of alignment. But I think you'd have some performance problems. But I can't answer that one, I'm not anything close to an expert on the mechanical stuff. I just know what I saw when I did my timing belt replacement. If you posted this on the Isuzu P'up forum, you'd probably get several good responses from people who know more about it than I do. By the way, several of our members on the Isuzu P'up forum live in NE Georgia.

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:21 am 

Jack, with the belt on, the cam gear arrow would not align with the arrow on the pump gear. The arrow on the pump gear aligned with the tooth/cog adjacent, or above the arrow. That is as close as I could get them to align. Clearly, this timing was off one tooth. For whatever reason. Like I said, after locking the pump gear, and removing the belt, I barely moved the cam gear, rotated it so the two arrows aligned like in your picture. Then installed the new belt, idler, etc. I rotated the engine by hand a few times and both arrows aligned perfectly afterwards. My qestion is, if someone before me had the cam retarded a cog/tooth, how will correcting this problem affect the operation of this engine? Hell, it ran fine before this, I think, smoked a bit excessive, I think, but still ran. I hope what I did helped the engine.
Again, thanks, Dennis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:23 am 
Addicted to LUV

I think I understand...with the pump locked (bolt in it), the arrows would not align.

However, I wonder if the cam was off a notch, or if the pump was off a notch. Both the cam AND the pump must be timed based on the crank position. If it's running better, I guess you did the right thing.

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:19 pm 

I read on the Isuzu Pup pages about retarding the timing maybe one tooth for higher top end performance, perhaps, but it seems the low end is compromised, from what I read. I was thinking that perhaps a previous owner had maybe retarded the cam timing. I have some doubts the IP timing had been tinkered with. I will post the results when I get it back together. And again, thanks for your imputs and thoughts on this thread.
This is the first time I have ever really worked on a diesel. Far cry from those old 283 Chevrolet motors that I cut my teeth on.