LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: jetta
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:50 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I watched trucks today and they converted a Sami to diesel with an adapter and a motor from a 93 jetta it was diesel I'd that helps. Is it possible to using a Sami trans do the same with a luv

Post subject: Re: jetta
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:27 pm 
Addicted to LUV

No, but a company makes the sammy stuff, makes a adapter that will fit a Toyota 5 speed and a Toyota automatic transmission. They just say a 22R transmission. They make it for a sammy swap, but I asked them about and it will work in anything that someone is going to use the VW engine and Toyota transmission 2wd or 4wd.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:54 am 

http://www.acmeadapters.com - vw diesel to 'yota adapters

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:12 pm 
Addicted to LUV

That's it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:39 am 

i'm attempting that project on my 81 right now. It is a hard project for me, considering i have very little experience in engine swaps. But i'm almost done. That same episode is what got me going. The main problems i have run into is mounting, and the cooling system. The later tdi engine has a oil cooler that complicates both problems, as well as the toyota trans length. Over all it was a fun project. If you have any questions, ask me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:49 am 
Addicted to LUV

Be sure to take pictures and post them!!!!
My only problem with this swap is the $$$$ they want for TDI engines

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:27 pm 

I got my tdi for $1600 at a junkyard half a state away. they are hard to come by, but so are the other engines. If you go tdi you'll either need all electronics or a m-tdi injection pump that is also costly, around $1200. I know three places to get one, I guy in canada makes them but you need to find all parts yourself, another one who has been back ordered and is not out of parts, and the guy i got mine. i still has his email if anyone needs it. Below is a picture of the new pump, the who drive train and me with the enigne. Im not a wizz in automotive and i might still be an upcoming senior in high school but this project is helping me graduate, i have learned a whole lot out of this.

Attachments:
PICT0075.JPG
PICT0075.JPG [ 1.01 MiB | Viewed 6804 times ]
PICT0063.JPG
PICT0063.JPG [ 921.67 KiB | Viewed 6800 times ]
PICT0068.JPG
PICT0068.JPG [ 860.04 KiB | Viewed 6801 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:40 am 
Addicted to LUV

I know Karl M makes them, then guy in Canada(Jeff?) are the ones I know of. If you have a early TDI, 97-98 David Marshal can modify the wiring harness so you can use it. I think I would let David do one as long as I could get the ECU and harness. I had a 97 Passat TDi and just loved it.

I think Karl uses some parts off a Cummins pump (Bosch) There are some heated discussions on the TDI conversion-Vanagon-VW TDI groups on the m-TDI. I think it should work just fine. I have seen some HP figures and graphs on the Pumps Karl makes, and they are better than a Stock Electronic setup.

Nice pictures, keep up the good work....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:58 am 
Addicted to LUV

I think Jim (dieselgeek) may make a remote mount filter for the TDI http://www.dieselgeek.com/
I have know Jim a long time, before he built his Corrado TDI. His place is the best place to get TDI stuff, and he knows his stuff :!: Eric @ vw restoration owns the Corrado now.

I don't have any diesels right now,except 2 olds 350 diesels that are in my shop. I think a Luv TDI is going to be a great combo.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:58 pm 

The pump guy in canada i knew of was Giles. Alot of the VW pump forums i looked at refered to him several times, but i didn't know enough about the pumps to send the right parts. I was able to work around the stock oil cooler, but i might look into the remote filter if i decide i want to do some harder off roading, it hangs down just enough to worry about it. My original plan was to use the computer and harness, but the junkyard already sold the ecu and there was just to much wiring to have to go through. thats why i went M-TDI. I think my pump will do just fine, cause i have seen people that took an old pump and put a 10mm cam plate and new plunger on it and every thing ran fine. I'll have some more pictures later on after i figure out what is wrong with my camera.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:27 pm 
Addicted to LUV

That's his name Giles!!! He is supposed to be the man on the VW non TDI pumps, he may be on the TDI pumps too. I think Karl was the first to do the m-TDI pump, he does the 10mm stuff. I think it that was off a Opel IIRC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:33 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Dieselgeek makes a skid type plate for the VW. I would think you could do something like that too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:15 pm 

When it comes to a M-TDI pump watch out for some one trying to make a buck. the pump i got was for $1200, i was told they took two pumps to make one. But what they did was take a 1.6 naturally aspirated pump and put a tdi camplate and rotor on it. it looks like a tdi pump, but with a lever, that sounds perfect. WRONG, i am using a turbo, how do i get a good fuel ratio at high boost? I emailed the guy and he said it is just missing the altitude adjuster, be a little smoky in the mountains. He doesn't do returns, so now i have a $1200 pump to look at. I found a chanadian pump with the tdi parts, for $460 at dieselvw.com, they also have those $400 tdi parts that was used in the 1.6 for $159. So if you want to build the pump yourself you can also buy a turbo 1.6 pump for $400 or $410, depending on the year. Also if your find the right people to ask, you can get a factory made M-TDI from germany for around $1600. These pumps are a pain to get right but very important to your project. GOOD LUCK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:59 am 
Addicted to LUV

Sorry to here about your problems. Did you post to the any of the VW diesel groups about your experience? It doesn't sound like this guy was being a honest person. PM me who this guy is so I make sure not to use him. Or you can post who he is. You might email Karl M off the Vanagon TDI list to see if he can help you out, or let you know what you can do. I can get you a email address if you want.

It is a m-TDI pump, that means a turbo in it.. If that is what the butt wipe does you are right, buy a new one or build your own. The m-TDI guys will talk aboupt what they use to make. I know Karl moves the Shaft size to 10mm. I think it is 8mm or 9mm stock. I have heard about using Opel Diesel, , cummins diesel Bosch bumps parts too.

That is one if the negative things I see with a TDI engine, is You can tie up $5k for just the engine. I really liked my TDI Passat. 90HP I thought was very good. I pulled a 6 x 9 trailer with some heavy loads, and our 85 Scirocco DSP autocross car(2200 lbs) with it. I would think it will be a great combo.