LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:56 pm 

Hey there fellas
Long time reader, first time poster here!

I just picked up a LUV and am trying to work out the kinks. I know these are supposed to be gutless rigs but I was a little surprised as to how gutless they are. Keep in mind I drove a 74 MB 240d w/ Auto Trans (might as well have been an e-brake) so I am using that as a frame of reference. It seems that 55-60mph is all it wants. In fact 3 times in 45 minutes I was driving at about 50mph and then the engine just quit. It went from, what I suspected was about 3000 rpm (I'm sans tach) don't to idle rpm. The engine never died just returned to idle state. As I began to coast from 50 on down, I put the truck in Netreul and feathered the pedal, sure enough it came back to life.

Here is the back story. Car runs great and starts great. Small amount of smoke at startup after warm there is smoke whatsoever. After warm the car restarts faster than any car I have owned.

My plans tomorrow ...
1. Replace fuel filter
2. Clean IP banjo bolts
3. Blow out fuel lines
4. Drop tank to see whats growing inside

Is there anything I am missing? I might adjust the valves if time permits but I am having a hard time thinking that plays into this. Someone on this forum (or isuzupup.com) mentioned a rev limiter briefly. Again, I don't have a tach so I can't gauge what's going on there.

Thanks guys!
Garrett

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:18 am 

ghohn

Welcome to the board.

To me, it sounds like a fuel issue, caused by who-knows-what. It seems like something is moving back and forth, blocking and unblocking the fuel flow. Valve clearance problem? Not likely.

What you propose to do sounds right. Let us know how it turns out.

I have a 1991 Sonoma Extended cab, that I put a tired C223 into. Now these trucks are heavier than the Pup, and it moves along ok. Keeps up to traffic in town, and not so horrible on the highway, though it will loose speed on the hills. I've never tried it, but flat-out would be near 80mph. I've seen 75 mph with a bit left. From what I've read in a MB diesel forum, the 240 had similar performance to the Isuzu, if that helps any. Similar weight and hp.

As far as a rev limiter, there isn't any, unless someone can show me one. The engine redline is designed at 4200 rpm, and really it just makes noise at that rpm, like many diesels. They just run out of breath before that, and don't feel to make much more power revved that high. With Volkswagen diesels (1980's), to set the pump you would run the engine at full throttle, and make your high speed adjustment to their specs (something like 5250rpm), acting as a crude rev-limiter. I haven't seen this in the factory manual for the Isuzu.

I hope this helps a little.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:15 pm 

ZackaryMac,
I think the problem was a mixture of everything. I ran a fresh tank of B20, cleaned the banjo bolts, blew out the fuel lines, new fuel filter etc ... Runs great! I turned in 33 mpg on B20 then 31 mpg on Diesel 2 (no bio available in the Idaho sticks)

Able to hold 60-65 mph no problem. I had throttle left but no tach so I don't want to test her limits.

On a seperate note, I changed the Tbelt, Water pump, and adjusted the valve. Hopefully, just hopefully, she'll be maintenance free for many more miles!

How difficult was dropping a c223 into a Sonoma? Often wondered what goes into that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:28 pm 

Glad to hear the truck is working fine now. I hope you find the power more acceptable.
There are a super-reliable engine. They don't ask for, or require a whole lot of maintenance, other than the usual (oil, filter, fuel filter, valves once in a while). Mine has about 570,000 kms and going strong. It's a bit stubborn to get started in the cold (below freezing), but starts instantly when warm. In fairness, I also don't have the glow system hooked up as Isuzu designed it. No doubt it's getting tired besides.

I picked a S10 because I knew it wouldn't be so bad, as the engine/tranny originally came from a 1984 S10. The frame and body are the same pretty much from 1983 to 1993, when the body changed, but kept the same frame, for the most part. Guess I'll find out, as I'm doing it again with a 1994 S10 ext cab.

Both these were 4.3 auto, so they had to be changed to 5 spd, a pain, but not too difficult. Wiring really isn't much of an issue, as you are using only some of the wires, which I do, instead of completely rewiring it. Oddly, I found the speedometer to be the most difficut parts, as the original diesel was mechanical, and the trucks are electric. There are ways to get around that too. I like to keep the gauges working and looking stock.
With the 1991, the driveshaft fit right in the T5 transmission, which was a bonus. No mods were done to the stock Sonoma driveshaft. I hope it's the same for the 1994. The engines weigh about the same, so there is no changes there. Changed the rear-end from 3:42 to 3:73, as 1st is too tall to pull away with any load. I haul my Kubota around a bit, and I figure the tractor w/trailer weigh about 2000lbs, so I need the lower ratio. Probably have to do the same for this one too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:43 am 
Addicted to LUV

ZackaryMac wrote:
The engine redline is designed at 4200 rpm, and really it just makes noise at that rpm, like many diesels. They just run out of breath before that, and don't feel to make much more power revved that high.
I have to take issue with that one. Mine pulls well right up to the redline, and I have a factory tach. It's not a huge difference over upshifting earlier, but it's definitely some better, and does not seem to be "running out of breath".

Jack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:47 pm 
LUVTruck.com's Cornholio

ghohn wrote:
ZackaryMac,
(no bio available in the Idaho sticks)

Oh your from Idaho? Cool. Were at in Idaho?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:02 pm 

My sister and her husband live in Boise. I picked up the rig there. My folks live in NW MT. As for myself, I'm just recently displaced from Hawaii looking for a place to call home :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:11 pm 

I would like to resurrect this thread, because the same thing was happening to me. I could not get over 50mph on the hwy after going about 65mph, then, sudden power loss.

when I was getting off the hwy, the power came back so I thought I just had a clogged fuel filter.

I took it off, and dumped out sludge, and wouldn't run right. I bypassed the fuel filter using a clear hose and letting gravity feed the IP, still nothing. for some reason, the IP was not taking the fuel like it should, and I watched it thru the clear fuel line. there seems to be some blockage or restriction, so I took off the banjo bolt the screen in side was clear.

here's some info. girl I purchased it from ran biodiesel in the tank. I filled it up with no2 diesel, and now it's a tiny bit cloudy, so I'm thinking the bio had a bit of water.

what should I do now? I should prolly empty the tank and give it a good clearing. what else am I missing? is my IP toast, or just clogged up?