LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:24 pm 

I am learning how to adjust my valves for the first time on my new 1981 LUV 4WD with the 2.2L Isuzu diesel engine and have two questions.

1. Should I believe the valve clearances on an Isuzu sticker on the hood of the vehicle or the clearances in the Series 11 Shop Supplement (which contains the diesel engine info?)

On the hood it says the valve lash (cold) should be 0.016 (0.4MM limit) for both intake and exhaust valves. In the shop manual it says the intake valve clearances are 0.039-0.068 and the exhaust clearances are 0.064-0.093 (0.20 limits for both.)

One exhaust valve was in a position where we could check it, and it was at 0.016.

BTW, I have no idea if this is the original hood although I see no evidence of a front-end collision (I'm no expert, of course, but one of my Mercedes 300DTs is a front end wreck and I know what that looks like.) I don't know if this is the original engine, either, although with the odometer only at 123k it would certainly seem like it should be the original.

2. What's the best way to turn this engine? There doesn't seem to be much space to work in at the front of the engine or from underneath.

Thank you!

Maud

Post subject: Hope this helps.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:51 pm 

I did my valve adjustment last night and I followed my shop manual, which said to adjust all at .016 while cold. I like working on a cold engine anyway so didn't even think twoce about the .015 for a hot engine.

I took a long hard look at how to turn that little 2.2 and it had me stumped for quit a while but was successful by putting a ratchet on the power stearing pump pully and rotating it while pushing down on the v-belts at the same time. Pushing down on the belts tightens them enough to pinch the crank pully so it will turn. I suppose one could tighten the belts up enough but it is no problem for me to push on the belts. It doesn't take much to rotate the crank anyway. Not like a gas engine.

Hope this helps. I have no idea when the last valve adjustment was done on my engine since just purchasing it so I am in the middle of performing all the initial checks. I found the valves were at about .032 so twice as much as recomended.

Getting 32.5 mpg so far so I am :D. Better than the 15 mpg :? I get with my 4x4 Dakota.

Regards,
Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:24 am 

Bob, what year is your truck and what manual are you using? Mine is the actual Chevy shop manual for 1981, and that's why I'm concerned about ignoring the clearances in it in favor of the ones on the hood.

Thanks for the tip on turning it...we'll try your technique. I was hoping not to have to take out the radiator to make room.

Maud

Post subject: An 82!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:22 pm 

It's an 82.

I am using a Clymer Shop Manual, Chevy LUV 2 & 4 Wheel Drive 1972-1982 that includes diesel.

I verified the hood decal, which also has .016 (cold) listed.

You are welcome for the crank turning tip.

Regards,
Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:08 pm 
LUVTruck.com's Cornholio

yeah .016'' sounds right to me too. the other ones sound way too much. I just did it a couple of months ago and 16 rings a bell. I turned the engine by putting it in gear and just bearly pushing the truck fowards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:59 pm 

Those valve clearances are apparently not the same as the valve lash. I now feel confident in believing the 0.016" on the sticker. Thanks for your help! Maud

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:53 am 

Valve lash is the mechanical clearance between the cam lobe and valve stem or transfer rocker when the valve is fully closed.

The valve adjustment changes the lash clearance, hopefully back to factory recommended spesifications.

Regards,
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:25 pm 

MaudEssen, so how did the valve adjustment go? 8)

Regards,
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:37 am 

So, any luck with the valve adjustment yet?

Regards,
Bob 8)