LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:30 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

:x Hello out there in luv land. Can somebody help me? I just purchased a 1984 Isuzu pup diesel. It has 70,000 original miles and a auto tranny.
(barn find). It has been sitting for along time. Items I replaced. 1)fuel filter, 2 oil changes, fuel hoses, thermostat/coolant, battery, complete exh
aust system, timing belt, and put fresh fuel in it. I got it running well and
idling well,however here is my problem. After driving it around for a couple of days the engine has started to run rough and fuel mileage is not
so good. There are times where it won't get above 45mph with the pedal
to the floor. Then the engine will start to buck,kick,pop,like it is miss firing.
Then there are times when I drive it and it will run perfectly fine. It will get up to 65 mph just fine. I'm machanicly inclined and know alot about gas engines,but I have tried everything to the best of my abillity to figure this thing out. I'm stuck! I'm really frustrated with the diesel engine. I hope that somebody has great advise on what to do. Please help?????? Thanks for time. Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:34 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

Check your tranny fluid, is it low, is any leaking? We had the same problem with our 84 auto we had, turned out to be the trans pump seal, we'd see some drips, then little spots, then puddles you could dance in... it was a job to get the pump out, but a new seal is a few cent and maybe a couple day's of work.

If that's not leaking too bad then maybe some tranny fluid in the tank or some 25/75 or 50/50 kero mix might help it out. But check your fluid first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:40 am 
Addicted to LUV

Mike,

Have you changed the fuel filter yet? I don't know what you did to get it going after rescuing it from the barn, but when diesel fuel sits a long time, stuff actually grows in it. You could have some of that crud trying to pass through your filter. And anything you dislodge from the tank will gum up the works as it moves downstream toward the pump. Some of the owners over at IsuzuPup.com recommend a clear primary fuel filter just upstream from the factory filter. Nobody likes replacing that $20 fuel filter repeatedly, which often happens with vehicles that have sat for a long time.

Also, there's a good possibility that you have a leak in your fuel supply line. This would cause air to be ingested, and that will cause erratic performance.

In addition to this forum, the IsuzuPup.com forum is another resource that might help you. It's primarily focused on '81-'87 diesels (P'up and LUV).

And I can't believe Finalman didn't tell you about the upcoming P'up meet in Charlotte! His dad is one of the organizers of the meet. It's Saturday, March 15. More details at IsuzuPup.com. Hope you can join us.

Jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:49 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

JoeIsuzu wrote:
Mike,

Have you changed the fuel filter yet? I don't know what you did to get it going after rescuing it from the barn, but when diesel fuel sits a long time, stuff actually grows in it. You could have some of that crud trying to pass through your filter. And anything you dislodge from the tank will gum up the works as it moves downstream toward the pump. Some of the owners over at IsuzuPup.com recommend a clear primary fuel filter just upstream from the factory filter. Nobody likes replacing that $20 fuel filter repeatedly, which often happens with vehicles that have sat for a long time.

Also, there's a good possibility that you have a leak in your fuel supply line. This would cause air to be ingested, and that will cause erratic performance.

In addition to this forum, the IsuzuPup.com forum is another resource that might help you. It's primarily focused on '81-'87 diesels (P'up and LUV).

And I can't believe Finalman didn't tell you about the upcoming P'up meet in Charlotte! His dad is one of the organizers of the meet. It's Saturday, March 15. More details at IsuzuPup.com. Hope you can join us.

Jack

My bad joe, didn't notice he was from NC. And i forgot about algae growth in diesel too, that could be more it on your problem...

BTW 999th Post!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:03 pm 
LUVTruck.com's Cornholio

well he said that he changed the fuel filter and lines... Hmm.. But yeah by the sounds of it people make it seem that the fuel filter plugs up easily on these. I dont know personally.. But i guess if there was enough sludge n junk in the tank maybe its just working its way through the system. I bet a fuel filter..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:06 am 
Addicted to LUV

pee_roy wrote:
well he said that he changed the fuel filter and lines...
Oops. Read first...then reply... Thanks.

I've corresponded with Bob via PM on this, too. It's not so much that the filters clog easily, but if you have a lot of crud in the tank, yes -- they will repeatedly clog.

Jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:33 am 
LUVTruck.com's Cornholio

Another guess could be water in the fuel. Missing and stuff when it gets a sip of water and running fine when it doesnt. Do you hit a bump or turn a certian way and it starts to run funky? Cuz when you do that it might move the water in the right spot to be sucked through?? :?: