LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: fuel problems
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:45 pm 

hi i have a complicated question and would really appreciate any info. I just recieved a 1982 chevy luv with the diesel in it. It ran as of a year ago but was hard to start. Today i tried to pull start it for several blocks to no avail just a little black smoke. Here are some facts.. 1. the battery was totally dead however the key was in the on posistion. 2. the fuel line from the tank to the fuel filter was dry. 3. the fuel line leaving the fuel filter going to the injector pump had fuel in it and i did pump the manual primer on top of the filter. 4. the fuel was really old not sure if that matters or not. 5. the truck will not turn over on its own even with a good battery but i do get dash lights(starter maybe). All that said im not sure what would be going on....maybe the injector pump? and a starter? Also does the injector pump pull the fuel from the fuel tank or is there a electric fuel pump in the tank or on the frame somewhere. You guys are so helpful thanks for any help you might be able to give!!!! :) :)

Post subject: Re: fuel problems
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:32 am 
Addicted to LUV

newatthis wrote:
hi i have a complicated question and would really appreciate any info. I just recieved a 1982 chevy luv with the diesel in it. It ran as of a year ago but was hard to start. Today i tried to pull start it for several blocks to no avail just a little black smoke. Here are some facts.. 1. the battery was totally dead however the key was in the on posistion. 2. the fuel line from the tank to the fuel filter was dry. 3. the fuel line leaving the fuel filter going to the injector pump had fuel in it and i did pump the manual primer on top of the filter. 4. the fuel was really old not sure if that matters or not. 5. the truck will not turn over on its own even with a good battery but i do get dash lights(starter maybe). All that said im not sure what would be going on....maybe the injector pump? and a starter? Also does the injector pump pull the fuel from the fuel tank or is there a electric fuel pump in the tank or on the frame somewhere. You guys are so helpful thanks for any help you might be able to give!!!! :) :)

1. Without using glow plugs (dead battery), it may not start no matter how long you pull it. I've heard of people cold-starting them without glow plugs, but I've never done it with mine. Some people resort to ether, but this is VERY risky since too much can ruin your engine. Please, please don't do that.

2. & 3. The fuel line from the tank to the filter should drip fuel when disconnected from the filter. Priming it should pull fuel in, but it's not effective unless you open the bleed valve on the filter assembly. It should be a screw on the side of the filter--not the petcock, that's for draining water out. Even so, if you had fuel from the filter to the pump, I think it should start and run briefly, if you have glow plugs and good compression.

4. Old fuel wouldn't help you, but I've heard of these things starting after sitting five years. It will likely clog your filter really quickly after you get it running. And speaking of filters, a clogged one will keep it from running well, and could even keep it from running. But your first filter will likely have a short life. They run about $20 at AutoZone.

5. It takes a fairly strong battery due to the higher compression. That said, you should check the condition of the battery and starter cables, especially ground connections. If you have those clamp-on cable ends, they're terrible about getting corroded. The battery cables on this are pretty heavy, too. I think they're 6-gauge, but I'm not sure. When battery terminal clamp corroded beyond repair, the Isuzu dealer wanted $72 for a new one. I got one custom-made for about $22, and they used 2-gauge cable. I have not had a battery problem since, and that was several years ago.

I would rule out all other possibilities before suspecting the injection pump to be a problem. They are very dependable. And yes, they pull the fuel from the tank, there is no auxiliary pump or lift pump. Some owners have added pumps, but a healthy Injection Pump shouldn't need it.

In addition to this forum, you could probably find some good help over at the IsuzuPup.com forum.

Jack

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:54 am 

hey i really appreciate the help! i found a leak in the fuel line causing it to loose its prime. I got it running it sounds great!!! what would be some suggestions you would make as far as checking it out maintenance etc... before using it regularly. this truck has not run for about a year and a half and has about 120000miles on it. also a side question if you dont mind, what kind of fuel mileage should i expect with the 5 speed tranny in it. thanks again so much for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:28 pm 
Addicted to LUV

If you don't know when the timing belt was last changed, do it now(!). It's a lot easier to change one than to wish you had. Changing it is not that hard, and it's a good opportunity to change out a few old hoses, one of which is usually hard to get to.

I'd expect 33-35 mpg in town, probably 40 on the road if all is right with it. That's what I'm hearing from other owners of '81-'82 trucks. For some reason, owners of the '81-'82 trucks seem to report higher mileage than what I've seen with my '83. A guy here in TN asked me "What's wrong with it?" when I told him I get around 33. He said he normally got 35-38, and his was also a 5-speed long bed like mine.

Jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:05 pm 

thanks for the tip! does anyone know where i can get a new heater/vent blower motor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:11 am 
Addicted to LUV

newatthis wrote:
thanks for the tip! does anyone know where i can get a new heater/vent blower motor?
I saw one on eBay a few days ago. I don't know if it sold, or if the auction is still on.

Or, someone at IsuzuPup.com would surely have one.

Jack