LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:07 pm 

Looking at buying a 1982 chevy luv. Its the diesel 4x4 white with the 4x4 and stripes starting on the doors and going back. It has a different color bed. And I think it has the same 4x4 decal on the hood.
Motor is good and everything works. It does have a water leak. but I think its from the pipe behind the shield that you have to get to when changing the timing belt. Or that is about where its coming from.
Also needs rocker panels..
Still had factory wheels and caps on it. My father in law as had if or 12+ years. It had I think its was 165,000 miles on it. It will have to have the water leak fixed and tie rods replaced on it. As it drifts all over the road.
Asking price is $500. Is that about right?
Also been reading for a few days. And see it may not be easy to find rocker panels. How hard is it to build your own?
Thanks and I am sure I will be asking more questions.
Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:20 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

If it runs and it's diesel, I'd jump all over it for $500. They sell in a similar condition to what you've described for anywhere from $1000-$2200 here in the NW. You may already know, but with a relatively straight forward conversion, you can run a diesel on organic fuels (bio-fuel/veggie oil) and still run it on diesel as needed...

Have fun, you can post photos after 5 message posts. Like to see pics if you buy it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:18 pm 

Yes its ready to drive. Only thing is the water leak. And I hope to know next week where that is coming from.
I am in the process of building a Appleseed processor for Bio Diesel. AS I have a Kubota tractor Yanmar Excavator and if i do get the Luv 2 trucks that burn Diesel.
So I plan on trying my hand at Bio. Just like the Water heater for the reactor and I am going to give it a try.
Guessing I will have to put new rubber lines on this one for bio diesel? AS i hear it will break down the old rubber lines?
Thanks for the advice on the price.
Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:23 am 

I've got a 1981-4x4 Diesel
It seems that the weak point in these trucks is the Water/Cooling System.
I've gone thru many water pumps and one cab heater.
If you replace the pump be sure you seal it up real good with some excellent sealer on the mating gasket surfaces.
The radiators are not available anymore. Find a re-build shop that does radiators. But if yours has the strange end caps you will have to improvise with a new radiator,
As for the tie rods---Check the steering damper first. I've gone tthru 2 of them in 200,000.0 miles.-available from NAPA
Water pumps/hoses are available from Oreilly Auto Parts. Spring for the NEW ones not re-built.
Replace the timing belt when you have the radiator out.
All of the above suggestions are just from my experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:44 pm 

AR4X4DSL wrote:
If you replace the pump be sure you seal it up real good with some excellent sealer on the mating gasket surfaces.
The radiators are not available anymore. Find a re-build shop that does radiators. But if yours has the strange end caps you will have to improvise with a new radiator,
As for the tie rods---Check the steering damper first. I've gone tthru 2 of them in 200,000.0 miles.-available from NAPA
Water pumps/hoses are available from Oreilly Auto Parts. Spring for the NEW ones not re-built.

Thanks for the info.. And I was going to change the water pump and timing chain at the same time. I think the little hose behind the cover is what I need to fix now. As that is where the water is coming from.
Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:04 am 
Addicted to LUV

shilohred wrote:
AR4X4DSL wrote:

Thanks for the info.. And I was going to change the water pump and timing chain at the same time. I think the little hose behind the cover is what I need to fix now. As that is where the water is coming from.
Pete

That's a timing belt. It will run you about $20-$25 for the belt. I've read that the aftermarket water pumps are not nearly as reliable, so I'd get a genuine Isuzu water pump. The little hose is called a "bypass hose".

Here's an illustrated "How-to" guide for replacing the timing belt...

Jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:20 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

nukeday wrote:
If it runs and it's diesel, I'd jump all over it for $500. They sell in a similar condition to what you've described for anywhere from $1000-$2200 here in the NW. You may already know, but with a relatively straight forward conversion, you can run a diesel on organic fuels (bio-fuel/veggie oil) and still run it on diesel as needed...

Have fun, you can post photos after 5 message posts. Like to see pics if you buy it :)

Sold my LUV for 2300 way back when, 2wd diesel, little nick-nacks on it...

BTW, found some better pics of my red-neck ram air setup... will be posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:44 pm 

JoeIsuzu wrote:
shilohred wrote:
AR4X4DSL wrote:

Pete

That's a timing belt. It will run you about $20-$25 for the belt. I've read that the aftermarket water pumps are not nearly as reliable, so I'd get a genuine Isuzu water pump. The little hose is called a "bypass hose".

Here's an illustrated "How-to" guide for replacing the timing belt...

Jack

Thanks sorry for taking so long to get back to this post. but been busy and not on here much.
Thanks for the belt price and about the water pump.
Pete